Teal Sound Ends Tour

The story as I understand it is that the original bus company busted the contract and has not refunded the money back to Teal. This has caused a cash flow nightmare while the Corps is out on tour now. The money is out there but Teal doesn't have it back yet. So, yes, the money will be available. Eventually. (If this is incorrect then it changes how I feel about it.)

(not aimed at you, RetiredJedi)

Ahh, see? More rumors. And these tend to refute the contention of "irresponsible corps management". If these rumors are true, it sounds to me like Teal's management did the exact right thing and that it was more difficult to make the call than was originally revealed. How many other corps managements would have continued on knowing the money "is out there" and hoping that it would come through?

Still, all just rumors, but this management sounds a lot more responsible than the pitch-fork carriers want to believe.

I'm not really all that sure anyone needs all the details to determine responsibility for this. The ultimate responsibility has to be accepted by the corps management and BOD. They need to make things right for the current marching members and their families, even if it means sacraficing the future of the organization. Hopefully, ending this years tour before they ran out of all money is the beginning of that responsibility. Those who feel the parents should just "donate" their hard earned money for the sake of the future are not being realistic. Few of us would drop down $100 at a souvie stand for tshirts and swag, then walk away empty handed if the corps said...sorry, we're out of shirts, but thanks for your donation. Almost all of us would be happy to donate $100 to keep the corps going if they were upfront about it. Anybody who thinks that it is "nobody's business" is not facing reality. We now live in a very "public" society, very few things are kept private, especially for any NFP organization that requires public funding to survive. The PR for these organizations MUST use the social media to their benefit if they expect to survive. I just don't feel that Teal has done a good job of this over the last few weeks.

• Like 7

That wouldn't stop some people and lawyers from still filing. Thought might be if they can generate enough negative publicity they might get something to be shut up.

No lawyer is going to take a case like this for a fee of ~$700. (Assuming recovery of $2100, which would never, ever happen.)

As far as signing a contract, unless it specifically states that "if the corps folds while on tour, there is no reimbursement of fees",

the members/parents have the right to go after any and all administration and Board for a refund.

This is absolutely NOT correct.

The entities are not the same (for profit cruise line vs. non profit charity). The contracts are nowhere near the same.

Legally, they are exactly the same.

The liquidation process would take a long time. Not even worth it.

Right, and liquidation proceeds would go to the creditors before the members. Likely, in a bankruptcy situation the members would not recover. In fact, the average bankruptcy creditor gets about $0.09 per dollar owed.

Point is, members are incredibly unlikely ever to see a dollar refunded to them. Their parents should claim the unused part of the fees as a donation to the non-profit and take a deduction next April.

• Like 1

I'm not really all that sure anyone needs all the details to determine responsibility for this. The ultimate responsibility has to be accepted by the corps management and BOD. They need to make things right for the current marching members and their families, even if it means sacraficing the future of the organization. Hopefully, ending this years tour before they ran out of all money is the beginning of that responsibility. Those who feel the parents should just "donate" their hard earned money for the sake of the future are not being realistic. Few of us would drop down $100 at a souvie stand for tshirts and swag, then walk away empty handed if the corps said...sorry, we're out of shirts, but thanks for your donation. Almost all of us would be happy to donate $100 to keep the corps going if they were upfront about it. Anybody who thinks that it is "nobody's business" is not facing reality. We now live in a very "public" society, very few things are kept private, especially for any NFP organization that requires public funding to survive. The PR for these organizations MUST use the social media to their benefit if they expect to survive. I just don't feel that Teal has done a good job of this over the last few weeks.

Anyone not aware that Teal (or any other corps) is in need of contributions is not paying attention. Just curious how much you donated to Teal's cause this year? Past years? ANY years?

I can see the Facebook post: "We're on our last legs! Please donate now so we can finish our tour!" Yea, that would be real good PR for the corps.

I can see the Facebook post: "We're on our last legs! Please donate now so we can finish our tour!" Yea, that would be real good PR for the corps.

Actually, they did do that. This text is from an email I received a few days ago. Not sure why I was even on the list - I guess from a Magic staff position in the '90's?

Anyway: "As you may have heard, through no fault of theirs, they had to switch bus companies 2 days into tour. As a result, they have additional expenses that are putting pressure on the corps' operational budget. We are reaching out to the people that we know care about drum corps and the great kids that dedicate themselves to the activity, to ask for help."

So, seeing the news today, it wasn't a big surprise. They have really been scraping the past few weeks.

• Like 2

The story as I understand it is that the original bus company busted the contract and has not refunded the money back to Teal. This has caused a cash flow nightmare while the Corps is out on tour now. The money is out there but Teal doesn't have it back yet. So, yes, the money will be available. Eventually. (If this is incorrect then it changes how I feel about it.)

Aye, there's the rub.

• Like 1

Nice to see some corps stepping up when it is not easy accepting members this late in the game.

I believe Colts have taken Teal members in (via a FB post in one thread). Not sure how MANY, tho....there's limited space.

Also not sure what the financial arrangements would be.

Your enthusiasm is commendable, but if you're considering marching a corps that had to quit mid-tour you'd best leave faith off to one side. Faith has burned many, many, many people in this activity, myself included. In my marching days I repeated the "It'll be all right" mantra over and over again. Things did not turn out all right. It's a sad story that's happened again and again and again and again and again. And unfortunately it's going to keep happening.

I'm not saying don't march this corps or that corps, but you shouldn't hand over your hard earned dollars to a corps that's had financial difficulties on faith alone. Be optimistic, but cautious. Be prepared to ask some hard questions. If they can't be answered to your satisfaction, go elsewhere. In particular, if the corps lets substantial numbers of marchers to go on tour without paying dues in full, or if it doesn't keep a substantial "#### happens" fund in the bank . . . watch out. You could end up throwing your money into a black hole.

March. But be careful.

This.

I've been there before. I fell in love with an organization that was never on solid financial footing. Originally thought it was growing pains. Every group goes through this.

The more I became involved, however, the more I realized these issues were mostly self-induced. The corps ceased operations under very different circumstances, but for very similar reasons.

I respected and trusted everyone in the administration. They were -- and still are -- good people. But they made poor decisions and doubled-down when they shouldn't have.

Before you commit yourself to a group that "never seems to get a fair shake" or "is just on the verge of becoming something great" (my reasoning at the time), make sure that the corps satisfies the criteria Rifurian laid out above.

I'm still involved in drum corps and work with other groups, but count me among the thousands of others who've become embittered over BS like this.

• Like 1

Of course it's always a major tragedy to lose any corps. It is especially difficult for the entire activity to lose a corps the caliber of Teal Sound. Losing them in midseason is even more difficult for everyone involved, especially the membership and staff. I know I speak for the entire drum corps activity when I extend our best wishes for a speedy return to the field of competition. Our hearts are with you, Teal Sound. God speed!