Teal Sound Ends Tour

As a former marching member, former BoD member, and parent, I have to say I admire Teal Sound's decision to pack up and go home. They did what was in the best interest of the marching members. Plain and simple. You hate to see this happen but things could be far worse.

Several of the parents plastering the Teal Sound facebook wall with their witch hunt should be ashamed. What is happening to their children, while unfortunate, is the best thing that could happen when you consider their safety and well being. These parents complain about getting fleeced out of their money, but so did the corps it looks like (based on facebook and tumblr posts). The reasonable/sensible thing to do is for the corps and the parents to collectively go after the first bus company. Real shame.

• Like 2

I certainly hope that this administration has the opportunity to re-establish credibility for their organization. I'm under 30 and I know about BAC 1982, and that organization has done quite well for itself lately. Condolences and best of luck, Teal.

This is a heart breaking situation for Teal, especially the kids.

As far as the comparisons with BAC and Teal, my guess is that the two situations are different (BAC's funds were stolen), but BAC's solution could be what saves Teal. BAC's alums and supporters took charge to save the corps at a time that the country had serious financial challenges and while BAC's pluck was admired, few expected the corps to survive, and for a while it looked shaky. Solid management allowed the corps to rebuild. For the past twenty years or so, BAC has done a great job reaching out to those who those who marched in other units in the Boston area. If you marched in a Boston area drum corps, drill team, or CYO band and you attend a BAC show you're family. So BAC's success is due to dedicated individuals making the modern day Crusaders a reality against the odds all while not losing its sense of tradition and finding a wider community to support its endeavors.

I do understand taht as I say this, BAC has a longer history than Teal Sound and the Boston area has more marching alums than Florida, but Teal Sound could have an advantage that some corps would not, Those who march d with St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, the Brassmen, Bridgemen who marched as St. Andrews, early 27th Lancers,etc. may be hitting retirement age and may headed to Florida (if funds allow in this economy). Could this be an untapped donor and volunteer base?

Finally, if we do not want to see other corps face what Teal Sound and Racine Scouts have faced, support your favorite corps. Attend shows. Stop at souvenir booths at shows and throw a couple of bucks in the fuel fund. If we want drum corps to continue, we have to support it and if we want to see Teal Sound return, we have to offer more than our warmest wishes.

• Like 1

Just saw this on Facebook.

"My son told me this morning that DCI has waived its transfer policy for all the age outs. So, they will or can transfer to other corps and continue to march this year. Their age out season will be saved, but, sadly, not with Teal."

What does this mean for the non age out members?

Edited by DCI_DAD
  • Like 2

As a former marching member, former BoD member, and parent, I have to say I admire Teal Sound's decision to pack up and go home. They did what was in the best interest of the marching members. Plain and simple. You hate to see this happen but things could be far worse.

Several of the parents plastering the Teal Sound facebook wall with their witch hunt should be ashamed. What is happening to their children, while unfortunate, is the best thing that could happen when you consider their safety and well being. These parents complain about getting fleeced out of their money, but so did the corps it looks like (based on facebook and tumblr posts). The reasonable/sensible thing to do is for the corps and the parents to collectively go after the first bus company. Real shame.

Yes, the parents and members got ripped off and to sweep it under the rug in less than 24 hours to "move on and be stronger in 2013" when there is no guarantee the corps survives is the same kind of reactionary, irrational defense you saw from the students at Penn State.

The entire admin staff must be let go and rebuilt in order for Teal to move on. No excuse to leave on tour without enough funds to last more than 10 days. But today is not about 2013 and beyond it's about doing what they can to lessen the blow to the kids who put their winters and dollars into this.

DCI needs to find a way to give a partial refund to the kids, for the good of the entirety of DCI. If the kids are out the full $2600 people will be hesitant to join smaller corps in the future.

• Like 3

Yes, the parents and members got ripped off and to sweep it under the rug in less than 24 hours to "move on and be stronger in 2013" when there is no guarantee the corps survives is the same kind of reactionary, irrational defense you saw from the students at Penn State.

. . .I've yet to see a member post anywhere on social media that feels "ripped off".

That all seems to come from the parents, which is understandable in some regards . . .but it appears to me a lot of the anger should be at the bus company that seems to have put the corps in this position.

There aren't many drum corps organizations that can survive those kinds of hits, World Class or otherwise.

Anyway, I suppose I'm on the outside looking in, but I don't think the comparison to Penn State is an apt one.

So sorry to see another DCI Corps struggle. I can understand the frustration being vented by some parents. I believe it will be very hard for any parent/child to commit any money and time to this organization in the near future.

I am hoping that someone with a better understanding of a corps financial structure can make better sense of this than I can. I just find it hard to believe that the management didn't know that they could not make it through the tour without running out of money, BEFORE they left. Perhaps doing the Orlando show and then cutting out the first part of the tour, then picking up in Atlanta or San Antonio would have been a better option? I understand that unknown expenses can arise, but there really have been no details of those things. The bus company thing just doesn't make sense. If any company is making money doing what they do, they don't pull out of a contract. If they are not making money, then that is a different story. I find it alarming that one parent has said that the story they got from the bus company was much different than what the corps management had told them.

It is sad to see that the only requirement left to make the "Top 25" in DCI World Class is that you have enough money to tour the summer and get to Indy. It's down to 22 World Class now...with Open Class corps needed just to have 25 to perform for Semis.