Blue Devils on top...really?

you have people that hate every corps. I'm really so over the fact that so many people convinced the world at large is ABBD.

I have been to DCi finals many times in my life. Even unpopular shows that won got better reactions than BD 2010, and also had much larger attendance for the victory run.

accept the facts...BD does their thing well, and they score well. But the shows don't emotionally connect to people like they used to. Sure, BD has some haters. So do the cadets. My god, most people get labeled a Cadets hater if they speak up about Hopkins. Crown has some, Madison has some, Phantom has some, Cavies has some...etc, etc.

Who hates Phantom? I literally have never seen phantom hate on here...

• Like 1

No offense but your logic makes absolutely no sense to me. The reason people are complaining isn't just because their favorite corps isn't winning. (goodness if that were the case us Phantom fans would never stop complaining). People are complaining because BD is winning with a boring, confusing show. Yes they are doing it very well, I'll admit, but that doesn't excuse the fact their show is complete nonsense (Yes, I know that's the point... whatever... it's a crappy point) If they did any of the shows listed above people wouldn't be complaining, because those shows actually had some meat to them. No one complained (at least not in the same way or to as much of an extent) when they won with Winged Victory or Phenomenon of Cool. Doing a show about nonsense is a cheap way for them to have an excuse to do the same thing they've been doing since 2008 (which I loved btw, then it got old the years after that). You're wrong in saying it's not about the show, because it is. I love the old BD stuff, and I've been waiting and waiting for them to go back to their old selves, but it hasn't happened. If they had a show like they used to have I wouldn't care at all if they won, because they did it with a fun, crowd pleasing show. I hate that a staff has decided to play to some judge sheets so much that they completely quit caring about the audience. The audience is what makes musical performance special. They quit performing for the thousands and started playing to a few so they can win a stupid piece of plastic. That's called selling out my friend.

*side note* People complain about the Blue Knights show this year not making a lick of sense either and they are pretty down there in the rankings compared to BD. Just saying.

No offense taken, and I don't mean any offense to you either.

In reading your response, I see that we have very different opinions of the BD show. I have watched it several times, and I haven't gotten tired of it. I don't get bored or confused by it. "Complete nonsense" is an exaggeration. "Crappy" is completely subjective. BD may aim to win, yet I enjoy their shows a lot almost every year. I think the show is stunning, powerful and colorful.

I don't understand your comment about "selling out." If a corps designs a show to score the maximum amount of points that they can, they are just playing the competitive game. Consider figure skating routines. In a competitive setting, routines are designed to earn the highest scores possible. In exhibition performances, the focus is more on the audience. DCI is competitive, and BD is competing. What is selling out about that? And I know that I and many others out there find BD entertaining this year. It's not like they are out there just playing "compulsories" (scales and rudiments etc.).

You said, "Doing a show about nonsense is a cheap way for them to have an excuse to do the same thing they've been doing since 2008." Althought I wouldn't call it "cheap," I totally agree that the designers did manage to find a way to take that disjunct, fragmented style that BD has adopted in recent years, pair it with a visual/art genre that is based on those qualities, and then turn it up a notch (be even more disjunct and fragmented). In that regard, I think choosing dada as a concept is a brilliant move.

As for Blue Knights, I actually like their show from what I have seen on FN. Firebird by Stravinsky is nothing new. The costumes and make up are pretty wild, but I don't understand some of the reactions I'm reading. As for "not making a lick of sense," just because you don't understand or appreciate something does not mean that it does not make sense or have value.

Who hates Phantom? I literally have never seen phantom hate on here...

you just have to know where to look

:worthy:

ive really never been a BD fan BUT will defend their right to do as they choose....as far crowd...well at finals last year they tore it up..and were great.so in some NOT ALL but many cases that to is subjective..I remember sitting with a staff member of Madison and them saying what a quiet reaction to the show yet I come on public forums and see conversations on how they tore it up in Allentown...funny.....hmmmmm same show

we all look at things different I guess and thats the great thing about diversity in taste and..what some like or dislike in the world...would be a pretty boring place if it werent that way

Edited by GUARDLING

LOL

BD's show according to youtube

Very Clever...worthy.gif

Edited by boxingfred

Difficulty? Crown is playing Bertrand Moren's Dreams while running. Blue Devils have a french guy talking while they get dressed from their invisible closets that double as a PVC horse. WTF

Bit of a Strawman comparison, don't you think?

Well....it's hard to argue with the Blue Devils, they do get dressed cleaner than most other corps. I've never seen a corps put on a jacket on the field with greater maturity than the Devils. They must have rehearsed many days in a haberdashery prior to tour :tongue:

LMAO!

sigh.

I dont necessarily like their recent shows as much as others, but please adapt and understand there is more to the visual captions than running around the field at 220 bpm and a 2 to 5.

the sooner people get that thru their heads, the better off we'll all be...because if you look at some of the corps doing that, they're dirty piles of ####.

at finals

Jeff I don't disagree however, which is harder to do, stand around and play or playing and moving at 220 bpm? I expect perfection from a corps that doesn't move a lot. I also expect that the judges should appropriately judge that the level of difficulty movement and musically "should" be diminshed when one tends to stand around as opposed to actually moving. Alas, they have choosen to ignore that fact and continue to reward BD with scores not necessarily building in the lack of difficulty associated with what they are doing. This is separate from design. Now, if BD were doing the aforemetioned 220 bpm, do you really think they would be getting the scores they are? Well, probably, because they're BD! And there is the rub in most peoples minds. But I agree with the individual that posted that they know how to max out the sheets so, good for them.

Edited by Rocketman