Blue Devils on top...really?

I like the Blue Devils show more than the Crown or Cadets show right now. Different strokes...

• Like 2

I like the Blue Devils show more than the Crown or Cadets show right now. Different strokes...

And that's what makes the activity so amazing. Everyone can find a show they enjoy. I think Santa Clara's is my favorite this year, followed by Crown then Spirit. But some people think differently. Just have to accept that and cheer for our favorite shows, right?

Ok...i just watched BD, Cadets, and Crown again from MN. Crown is still pretty dirty visually. Cadets are AWFUL dirty (esp that closer....to be expected) BD is yes....pretty fairly cleanish*

Now I feel alot better about the scores.

Crown will win next month. <sigh of relief> :tongue:

I agree with most of what you said ... but after doing the same as you (in fact I've watched the entire broadcast about 6 times) .. BD Is pretttttty dirty still. Which is good for them. Some of their show is amazingly clean from up top .. but they still have work to do. It's more noticeable with Crown and Cadets because of the cream pants and cream tops. I noticed a bunch of routing issues that still need more clarity for BD on the freeform stuff. Also there are some block sets that were pretty crunchy. Like I said .. plenty of work for the next 3.5 weeks for BD. I think when this show pops extremely clean ... their visual will make a ton more sense to people that are ACTUALLY WATCHING.

Crown is far dirtier than Cadets or BD ... which again, is good for them. They have a stellar total package in all areas ... now they can focus on clean clean clean.

It is known that the Allentown crowd can be a tough crowd, and are very truthful with their reactions. They aren't even the nicest to the hometown corps at times. If you have fan network. Go back and watch the last three years worth of shows. Check out the fan reaction for the other top corps. Then watch BD. If you were there you know what I'm talking about.

Hell... watch the finals performances. Last year got a decent reaction, granted it was an alright ending. But still nothing compared to Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Phantom. Heck I think SCV got a better reaction.

What I observe is polite clapping. Half standing ovations... like what the bottom tier corps get.

This year, I am conflicted. But one thing is for sure, I don't like having to take the time after seeing a performance to decide if I like it or not. I think I like the show. I get the show. But I'm just meh. On the other hand I have a friend who really digs the show. To each his own. The show is just purposely disjointed, and I'm not sure if I'm cool with that. One thing is for sure, the beginning section of the show after the in your face opening that I dig, and then it gets into the really lush and beautiful section for a while, I reallllllly like. I want more of THAT! With less of the narration and more of the music! The best stuff I've heard coming out of BD in a while.

Were there boos for BD in MN, THIS YEAR??.....yes! And you even suggest that this years BD show is something you can like.

So................

You can attach fan reaction to their show design if you like, but IMO a great deal of the reaction is ABBD. And concerning last years reaction at finals, I will suggest that if the fans believe that BD is not the obvious (and in this case, Cadets were clearly in position), then the reaction is one of muted support for BD. I honestly believe that it's largely about winning repeatedly, and further exaserbated by their departure from the norm of DC design.

I think the judges have bought into a notion that in order to be sophisticated and intellectual about the activity that they have to squeeze their butt cheeks, walk a little more erect and nod their head in honor to the resplendent Blue Devils.

Well...I'm gonna say it: THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!

I suppose I will be properly scorned for saying this by those who are clearly more deep in their understanding of the intricacies and nuances of this sublime art form that takes place outdoors on high school football fields in the middle of corn fields with mosquitoes snacking on people while they snack on kettle corn and soft-serve ice cream.

Yeah, but BD has some extra on the field they can lend them! :tongue:

• Like 4

I think the judges have bought into a notion that in order to be sophisticated and intellectual about the activity that they have to squeeze their butt cheeks, walk a little more erect and nod their head in honor to the resplendent Blue Devils.

Well...I'm gonna say it: THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!

I suppose I will be properly scorned for saying this by those who are clearly more deep in their understanding of the intricacies and nuances of this sublime art form that takes place outdoors on high school football fields in the middle of corn fields with mosquitoes snacking on people while they snack on kettle corn and soft-serve ice cream.

Post of the Season, to date. I'm all for finding meaning (intended and unintended) in art, but with this particular show, I'm just kind of... empty?

They are excellent at what they do, though. I suspect they will win by being cleanest.

Part of judging I think has to be about the risk of what is being asked of the performers (again, not talking about demand). The risk of "if this performer isn't RIGHT on their dot then the entire form will look VERY BAD." That kind of risk does not always exist in the BD show.

What would the oponer of BD look like if it was "dirty"... what would it look like if it was "clean"? and would there be a difference...

Think this is a pretty valid question and would love some insight.

I don't see any particular way for a visual judge to criticize these segments in BDs show. Furthermore, given their theme, I don't see how a judge could not acknowledge that it benefits the show.

All reward. No risk. Smart design, sure. But from a competitive aspect, how do you weigh that against corps that are sticking their neck out a little further?

further exacerbated by their departure from the norm of DC design.

. . .but it's not really anything new, though. The show pacing, costuming and vague stabs at intellectualism are direct cribs from WGI.

I'll give them this, though . . .it's certainly not as heavy-handed in its delivery as Cadets 2007 and 2008. :tongue:

Am I the only person who actually thinks Cadets were overall cleaner last year than BD? I'll give BD guard and drums, but I think Cadets tooted better, played better as an ensemble (I think it was an amazing music ensemble), and marched better (individually and as an ensemble). Just had to chime in with that. And except for visual ensemble, the judges agreed with that on all three nights, I believe.

• Like 3

I honestly believe that it's largely about winning repeatedly, and further exaserbated by their departure from the norm of DC design.

Sounds about right to me, with maybe half of it one of these reasons, and half of it the other reason. Or maybe its a 35-65 split, who knows.