Hot, Hot, Hotlanta

I had heard years ago that they were booed at some shows by veterans because of the anti-war message in their '84 show - I'm not sure if that was correct though.

I'm not sure how anyone could identify the booing fans in the stands " as veterans " in '84, '88 though. How would they know a " Veteran " from a " non Veteran ", you know what I mean ? I don't imagine that by '84 and '88 " Veterans " were wearing those narrow VFW or AL hats with the tassles to DCI shows as indentifable characteristics.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

That must have been at a local show perhaps... as at DCI Finals in '84 in Atlanta and in '88 in Kansas City, Suncoast Sound was neither booed during their performance, nor at the end of their performance. We know this, as we have verification via Fan Network DCI Video Performance archives of TOP 12 these years. So maybe a few fans did not like them at some shows these years... but we know it wasn't at Finals these years anyway.

No, not at Finals. But we (1988) were booed. Of course, we are not at finals this year either...

I'm not sure how anyone could identify the booing fans in the stands " as veterans " in '84, '88 though. How would they know a " Veteran " from a " non Veteran ", you know what I mean ? I don't imagine that by '84 and '88 " Veterans " were wearing those narrow VFW or AL hats with the tassles to DCI shows.

It was something I was told. I didn't witness it myself. I thought the show was fantastic.

That is a completely different situation. Booing a ref in football and basketball says nothing about the performance of the players on either team.

I can see zero difference between booing a ref who makes a call you don't like and booing a judge who gives a score you don't like. How can you say that booing a ref doesn't reflect on the players, *who are standing there at the time* whereas you've said booing a final score at a DCI show *when none of the performers are in attendance* is a direct insult to the performers? :blink:

Great show top to bottom!

Glad the northeast interwebs cleared up for the last 8!

I believe there is a "new"? (and better) spot for the "Vanguard Yell". Just after the front forms before they come forward in MOTN, anybody else notice this?

Really looking forward to this week, and some LIVE drum corps. Going to 5 shows and 7 practices in 7 days! Don't plan on booing anything except for heavy traffic and bad weather!

BD MON WV SHOW

PR TUES

SCV WED WEST CHESTER

CC THUR

BD FRI EAST

???SAT EAST

???SUN TOC

I drove from the ATL show to Indy 2 years ago...about 3k miles...i was fun

Did anyone else viewing the Fan Network feed find that almost ALL of the amped stuff was, well, muted? I first noticed it during Surf, where you could barely hear the "Every day I'm Shuffling" samples, all the way through Cadets and BD.

I know that for last year's quarterfinals APD, drumcat used only the feed from the field mics, which were behind the amps. So, while you can hear any amped stuff if there's nothing else going on, you really couldn't hear it if there was brass/percussion playing. Perhaps we had more of the same tonight?

• Like 1

Do you know why you were booed?

No, because I couldn't possibly tell you what those individuals were thinking. If I had to guess, it was because our show was really out there, especially for 1988. All I know was that I was 18, busting my ###, and people were booing.

Doesn't really matter, because after a while it stopped, and there were some fan reactions (too long to go into right now...) that more than made up for the actions of some dolts.

Not to mention people STILL talk about that 24 year old show...

• Like 2

Sorry I was just going a little OT. But in the performing arts, ya gotta have a backbone. Life is not all roses....

Oh and I don't know if it was you who said it, but someone said booing a bunch of hs kids??

This is BD we are talking about right? Yeah there are probably a couple HS kids in there. A couple at the most. This is BD. The most talented, and probably the oldest avg age in drum corps. They can take a little heat, even if they were booed after the show. Which they weren't, this year.

I know they can take it. That isn't the issue. The issue is whether should have to take it. In what other performing art do you get booed for winning?

Edited by jasgre2000

Did anyone else viewing the Fan Network feed find that almost ALL of the amped stuff was, well, muted? I first noticed it during Surf, where you could barely hear the "Every day I'm Shuffling" samples, all the way through Cadets and BD.

I know that for last year's quarterfinals APD, drumcat used only the feed from the field mics, which were behind the amps. So, while you can hear any amped stuff if there's nothing else going on, you really couldn't hear it if there was brass/percussion playing. Perhaps we had more of the same tonight?

yes, except the low end goo still seemed to be plenty loud, and the pit in general seemed too loud for Crown?