So Sad

I got bored around 1993 and walked away for 10 years.

I'm sitting here with my jaw on the floor. I just bought the '93 finals dvd and was discussing with a fellow fan how '93 appeared to be a "very good year".

• Like 1

I'm sitting here with my jaw on the floor. I just bought the '93 finals dvd and was discussing with a fellow fan how '93 appeared to be a "very good year".

Agreed. Anyone who gets bored and admits to walking away from drum corps for ten years probably wouldn't get all that excited to witness a 50-yard-wide UFO crashing through the roof of Lucas Oil Stadium.

Agreed. Anyone who gets bored and admits to walking away from drum corps for ten years probably wouldn't get all that excited to witness a 50-yard-wide UFO crashing through the roof of Lucas Oil Stadium.

I dunno. In the History of Drum and Bugle Corps book, there's a section referring to 1993 as something like "the year of audience discontent".

You mentioned 2 corps.....what about the others? Isnt there anyone that pleases some of the people you mention? Not ragging on you , I just dont buy the numbers are down for reasons you say...do people leave YES...but ive heard those excuses from the 70s on...as far as evolving Drum corps probably is the slowest evolving activity ever..Takes years for things to actually happen..If you put a video on from the 70s and one now no matter how many changes you can see its the same activity totally. I watched an old video of 27th today and got all teary...lol.....but to say drum corps today doesnt engage and the evolution hasnt been remarkable is just silly.

Im love, what we did BITD..I reminded myself of that today BUT again in regard to the 2 corps you mentioned....do we all have to like everyone? NO..did we like everyone BITD...no

I referenced these two corps because I was quoting boxingfred, on 25 July 2012 - 08:05 PM, said: ....... :)

but to say drum corps today doesnt engage and the evolution hasnt been remarkable is just silly.

I am not the only one who feels that efforts need to be made to 'engage' the fans more. DCI feels they need to engage the crowd more. They have made some changes, sent out survey's, changed the judging system....etc.

I think the talent of the corps members is probably the highest it has ever been....BUT....I feel the programs (Content) in which they have been given to perform is quite lacking in regards to be entertaining/exciting/engaging. The activity has struggled for a longtime in taking itself to serious....and being self-severing. I feel a real good portion of the designers are out there designing shows to wow their peers and judges first....and the fans are somewhere toward the bottom. Some years are definitely better than others. It's a shame....because i have had the unfortunate experience of witnessing many a shows where the crowd was not receptive at all to a corps performance...and their is nothing worse than looking at the disappointed/confused looks on the members faces. All that work...all that money...to have the fans respond with golf claps....and the reason for it is some self important designer put themselves and the judges ahead of the members and fans. More than a couple of times I remember sitting at qrt or prelims....watching corps in the 13 - 20 bracket...and a yell would come out from a random fan just before a corps performed "Wake us up...PLEASE !!)

Sorry...kind of went off coarse a bit. Bottom line is....I feel the talent is superb....and basically none of my concerns are ever directed towards the membership. My concerns are directed towards the designers, show coordinators, judges and in some cases corps staff.

I referenced these two corps because I was quoting boxingfred, on 25 July 2012 - 08:05 PM, said: ....... :)

I am not the only one who feels that efforts need to be made to 'engage' the fans more. DCI feels they need to engage the crowd more. They have made some changes, sent out survey's, changed the judging system....etc.

I think the talent of the corps members is probably the highest it has ever been....BUT....I feel the programs (Content) in which they have been given to perform is quite lacking in regards to be entertaining/exciting/engaging. The activity has struggled for a longtime in taking itself to serious....and being self-severing. I feel a real good portion of the designers are out there designing shows to wow their peers and judges first....and the fans are somewhere toward the bottom. Some years are definitely better than others. It's a shame....because i have had the unfortunate experience of witnessing many a shows where the crowd was not receptive at all to a corps performance...and their is nothing worse than looking at the disappointed/confused looks on the members faces. All that work...all that money...to have the fans respond with golf claps....and the reason for it is some self important designer put themselves and the judges ahead of the members and fans. More than a couple of times I remember sitting at qrt or prelims....watching corps in the 13 - 20 bracket...and a yell would come out from a random fan just before a corps performed "Wake us up...PLEASE !!)

Sorry...kind of went off coarse a bit. Bottom line is....I feel the talent is superb....and basically none of my concerns are ever directed towards the membership. My concerns are directed towards the designers, show coordinators, judges and in some cases corps staff.

i think its alll subjective...personally i know many who arent entertained by glits, show girl productions or re- run shows....that doesnt make them right either..my point is there should be all kinds of shows..as far as survey's etc etc..they are only as good as those who bother filling them out also did the new sheets do anything?,,,,,not really...engaging an audiance means different things to different people...and if 12 -20 entertain more whay is it STILL people run mostly to see the others.......not saying its right but very true...there are #S THAT PROVE THAT

FACE THE SIMPLE FACT PEOPLE!!!!

Drum Corps was the best in (insert the year you were introduced to the activity) :rolleyes:

...in other news I "green plussed" SFZFAN and JamMan in the same thread. The world is surely ending now

• Like 1

"It's a battle of generations". Really? Thanks for turning a difference of opinions into a cause for war. To reduce art to as nothing more than "breaking away from what is acceptable, and expressing how you feel about something" may work for you and your argumentative nature, but please don't use your personal definition as a substitute for differences in perception. Art is about a lot more than thumbing one's nose to what came before. As the old adage goes.... "art is in the eye of the beholder" and the mere destruction of what came before is not necessarily artistic. I am not sure if you are advocating the idea that change is and of itself art, but when you reduce it to a battle of generations is seems that you are suggesting that what is new is better and more worthy of the word art than what came before. I thought 1983 Garfield Cadets was art..... but apparently it no longer warrants that definition. And yes that is SAD.

It may not be a generation thing, but art does try to break boundaries. 20th century music was appalling to most classical/romantic purist in the early 20th century.

I respect and love all art forms. Cadets 1983 is one of mt favorite all time shows. Don't jump to conclusions bud. You seem to do this often.

• Like 1

I'm tired of corps doing the same shows over and over again. People like sequels way too much. What's wrong with some originality? Everyone designs their shows for the score and forgets everything else. So anytime new music does enter the drum corps scene, it's so formulaic, it almost immediately sounds boring.

It's MUSIC!!! Why the **** does drum corps always sound like drum corps?

• Like 1

I like waffles. :tongue:

Oh, and you had 28 red negs, so I gave you a green (come on people, he/she was just expressing his/her disappointment.) You are entitled to your opinion, and I happen to agree with you that the "thrill is gone" for the most part. You can find little bits of it, but it's nothing like "back in the day". Now, some young kid on here will probably (rudely) refer to ME as a "dinosaur". If they disagree with you, they dismiss you. That's just how it is in here sometimes.

• Like 1