Who is poised to surprise!?

Does anyone see any corps making a late season surge and surprising a few corps currently ahead of them come finals week? Phantom just closed the gap on BD a bit after just surpasing Cadets. Stars are coming up on Spirit. Any bold predictions?

Yeah, but that's happened a couple of times this year already, and both times, Spirit opened the gap again.

I just looked back at the 16 times that Spirit and Blue Stars have met this season. The first time they met back on June 22, Spirit was 3.9 points ahead. By June 26, Blue Stars had closed that gap to 1.1 points. On July 7, Spirit's lead was back to 2.75 points. On July 11, that lead was cut to 1.6 points. But on July 16, the lead was back to 3.05 points. Last night, the gap was back to 1.55 points.

Now I'm not saying Blue Stars can't or won't catch Spirit by Indy. Just doesn't really seem likely to me, looking at the scoring history of the two corps for the entire season.

• Like 1

I'm going to just say that I think PC could surprise and bump off Colts. I know PC has shown the ability to succeed in certain captions and I'd like to say they can make a move on Academy and/or Glassmen but I don't think they they have the vehicle to do it, but certainly the ability looking at the scores/captions.

• Like 1

I think Crown will catch Bd. They have the right product on the field. Once they beat them they will know what it takes and wont look back. I could be wrong but that is what im feeling right now.

• Like 2

For me, Crown are the big unknown in the top 3.

If they can clean their monster drill then yes, they could take gold but if they can't clean it enough.... then I think PR could get pretty d4mn close to silver.

• Like 1

Crossmen catch BStars

BK catches Spirit

Crown catches BD

Madison catches Bluecoats

SCV overtakes Phantom and Cadets for 3rd

• Like 5

Bluecoats will pass SCV and move into the top five. Cavaliers will surprise, too.

• Like 2

If being asked to predict a final finishing order...

1) BD- they could be caught. not likely.

2) Crown- they could catch BD. not likely.

3) Cadets- fun show. just not enough.

4) Phantom- imagine what this season could have been if your percussion wasn't a disaster.

5) Santa Clara Vanguard- we all keep waiting for these guys to make a huge push to the top. still waiting...

6) Bluecoats- neato show. same finishing result.

7) Madison- one of the better surprises of the year. Madison takes another baby step forward.

8) Boston Crusaders- some great drum corps out of this team lately.

9) The Cavaliers- transition is always tough. who knew it would be this tough?

10) Spirit- another great move forward for this group

11) Blue Knights- another year, another snoozer in 11th place.

12) Blue Stars- A fairly forgettable show by these guys. Would love to see them get back the magic they had a few years ago.

But hey, I could be wrong.

• Like 2

If being asked to predict a final finishing order...

1) BD- they could be caught. not likely.

2) Crown- they could catch BD. not likely.

3) Cadets- fun show. just not enough.

4) Phantom- imagine what this season could have been if your percussion wasn't a disaster.

5) Santa Clara Vanguard- we all keep waiting for these guys to make a huge push to the top. still waiting...

6) Bluecoats- neato show. same finishing result.

7) Madison- one of the better surprises of the year. Madison takes another baby step forward.

8) Boston Crusaders- some great drum corps out of this team lately.

9) The Cavaliers- transition is always tough. who knew it would be this tough?

10) Spirit- another great move forward for this group

11) Blue Knights- another year, another snoozer in 11th place.

12) Blue Stars- A fairly forgettable show by these guys. Would love to see them get back the magic they had a few years ago.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Indeed.

• Like 6

The Crossmen have already delivered a surprise by being in 13th after coming in 17th last year. Because it is always fun to see a dark horse come back into the top 12 after a long hiatus, I would love to see them jump ahead of either Blue Stars or Blue Knights. I think their show is better than both BS and BK. It's a matter of the judges agreeing.

If it ends up being the same twelve corps as last season....boring.

• Like 2