Shows that changed drum corps?

A lot of shows over the years have aspects that were unique, and some had features that were very controversial. None of this means the shows truly changed DCI. To me there are probably only 1 or 2 shows per decade that truly changed the activity. There are a lot of influencial shows out there. Some that added snippets of this and that to the activity, and some of those features may have only been short lived or perhaps they have become common-place.

Show that CHANGED the activity is a COMPLETELY different thing.

1968 - 1970: Casper, WY Troopers

Probably no corps had more to do with the older touring model, funding, and show style of that time period than did the Troopers. And they were really good. The best corps are usually copied to some extent.

1971 - 1982: Santa Clara Vanguard

Yes, the Blue Devils certainly brought a new performance style and jazz to the field in a most professional way, and other corps had their unique styles (the 27th lancers did have a big impact on guard), but SCV was the epitemy of the modern touring corps. It's management style was copied (at least by the wisest of drum corps), Fred Sanford and his percussion staff literally re-invented the modern percussion section for the entire marching activity, including how they wrote for the instruments. The brass arranging and musical style was much more symphonic and the style of pageantry was unrivaled during this time. Oh, and most of the great staff that ended up with the Blue Devils came from SCV. They were the first true Modern Dynasty of the DCI era, and not just for their winning record alone.

1983 - 1992: Garifeld Cadets (Cadets of Bergen County)

It wasn't just the approach Zingali took to drill design, or the amazing brass charts of Jim Prime, Jr., or the percussion writing, or the brilliant guard design, or Michael Cesario's program coordination, or George Hopkins driving leadership and management. It was the combination of all these things coming together in a "stars aligning" type moment that set a new path for the activity. It was the biggest change since 72 - 74 SCV. Again, we can mention a lot of other groups and people for their contributions. None of that is debateable, but the ONE corps that changed the activity for the next 10 years was Garfield. Yes, they initiated a push to this new style in 1982, but the effects of SCV and BD were still quite strong, especially since they finished 1 and 2 that year (BD 1, SCV 2). By 1983 the style set in, the fans could clearly tell, something NEW is here and it's here to stay.

1993 - 2000: Star of Indiana

It's interesting that 1993 was Star's last year, but it was this show (featuring the music of Bartok) that they left the actvity with a paramount change. From 1985 to 1989 I thought Star was sort of Cadets-lite. Good, similar style, and fun music. Then in 1990 - 1992 they were every bit as good as Garfield/CBC. But their 1990, 1991, and 1992 shows were still in a similar manner to what the Cadets (CBC) had been doing. 1991 was about as Cadets-like as it gets. But in 1993 they redefined their image and total show design. They incorporated body movement to an extent that we had not seen. The music was demanding and complex, much like we had seen many times with other corps, but it was arranged in a way that featured the sections more often, utilizing complex voicings, and expressing emotion through difficult to sing melodies. They way the guard was staged, utlized, and the equipment was really startling. At the time we were all shocked, intrigued, and some were disgusted by the show. But it truly changed the activity.

2001 - 2009: The Cavaliers

Steve Brubaker no doubt developed a unique and beautiful way of constructing drill design (the use of geometric patterns that move and morph), and he brough this to the Cavaliers in the early 80s. In 1985 they made the top 5 for the first time in a long time. They won in 1992, and again in 1995. Not all of those drills were written by Brubaker, but the ideas began with Brubaker. As important as his work was, it was somewhat overshadowed by Garfield in the 80s, and by 1993 Star through the 90s. In 1998 the Cavaliers began a return to greatness with a similar style of geometric writing and music construction that mirrored the visual book in a stunning way. But this became most evident with their "Four Corners" program in 2001. Perhaps not the cleanest show to win finals, but the way they used the field, the guard, they way the music was constructed, they way they extended phrases and created "moments" from the little things was a definite change. Their 2002, 03, and 04 shows continued to be stunning in execution and design. But perhaps the peak of this brilliant combination of music and visual came to a boiling point in 2006 with "Machine." The effects in this show were stunning, the way they could bring emotion many rows up into the stands captivated even the best of designers. No doubt that the bulk of the 2000s have belonged to the Green Machine in terms of changing the activity.

2010 - Present: Blue Devils

In 2009 BD began utilizing a new style of programing to go along with a new design to their uniform. Always the perennial champion in execution, BD has long been at the forefront of the activity. They have typically been the activity's best performers. In 1994 it was clear they began to change. Some new staff (namely one Todd Ryan from Star of Indiana). Credit him for the great feet this corps has. But BD has always had some of the best staff and design people. But lately, and in particular with their 2010 show, they have begun a major change in the acitivity. I felt their 2010 show was stunning in effect, and it was, in my estimation, the best performing drum corps we had seen since 2005 Cadets and 2002 Cavaliers. Maybe even better than those two corps. Their current show is wild and engaging in a manner not seen...EVER! Whether or not this current ride that BD is on causes real change, who knows? But clearly they are really trying to change the game. Let's see if others follow.

NOTE: As for corps that utilized narration, singing, synths, rap, and other effects and electronics, I consider most of that standard trial and error. Anytime a new rule passes that allows certain types of changes you know people are going to take advantage of the new rules. Where this all leads nobody knows, but there has been some good and a lot of bad that has come from the whole electronics usage.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

A lot of shows over the years have aspects that were unique, and some had features that were very controversial. None of this means the shows truly changed DCI. To me there are probably only 1 or 2 shows per decade that truly changed the activity. There are a lot of influencial shows out there. Some that added snippets of this and that to the activity, and some of those features may have only been short lived or perhaps they have become common-place.

Show that CHANGED the activity is a COMPLETELY different thing.

1968 - 1970: Casper, WY Troopers

Probably no corps had more to do with the older touring model, funding, and show style of that time period than did the Troopers. And they were really good. The best corps are usually copied to some extent.

1971 - 1982: Santa Clara Vanguard

Yes, the Blue Devils certainly brought a new performance style and jazz to the field in a most professional way, and other corps had their unique styles (the 27th lancers did have a big impact on guard), but SCV was the epitemy of the modern touring corps. It's management style was copied (at least by the wisest of drum corps), Fred Sanford and his percussion staff literally re-invented the modern percussion section for the entire marching activity, including how they wrote for the instruments. The brass arranging and musical style was much more symphonic and the style of pageantry was unrivaled during this time. Oh, and most of the great staff that ended up with the Blue Devils came from SCV. They were the first true Modern Dynasty of the DCI era, and not just for their winning record alone.

It wasn't just the approach Zingali took to drill design, or the amazing brass charts of Jim Prime, Jr., or the percussion writing, or the brilliant guard design, or Michael Cesario's program coordination, or George Hopkins driving leadership and management. It was the combination of all these things coming together in a "stars aligning" type moment that set a new path for the activity. It was the biggest change since 72 - 74 SCV. Again, we can mention a lot of other groups and people for their contributions. None of that is debateable, but the ONE corps that changed the activity for the next 10 years was Garfield. Yes, they initiated a push to this new style in 1982, but the effects of SCV and BD were still quite strong, especially since they finished 1 and 2 that year (BD 1, SCV 2). By 1983 the style set in, the fans could clearly tell, something NEW is here and it's here to stay.

1993 - 2000: Star of Indiana

It's interesting that 1993 was Star's last year, but it was this show (featuring the music of Bartok) that they left the actvity with a paramount change. From 1985 to 1989 I thought Star was sort of Cadets-lite. Good, similar style, and fun music. Then in 1990 - 1992 they were every bit as good as Garfield/CBC. But their 1990, 1991, and 1992 shows were still in a similar manner to what the Cadets (CBC) had been doing. 1991 was about as Cadets-like as it gets. But in 1993 they redefined their image and total show design. They incorporated body movement to an extent that we had not seen. The music was demanding and complex, much like we had seen many times with other corps, but it was arranged in a way that featured the sections more often, utilizing complex voicings, and expressing emotion through difficult to sing melodies. They way the guard was staged, utlized, and the equipment was really startling. At the time we were all shocked, intrigued, and some were disgusted by the show. But it truly changed the activity.

2001 - 2009: The Cavaliers

Steve Brubaker no doubt developed a unique and beautiful way of constructing drill design (the use of geometric patterns that move and morph), and he brough this to the Cavaliers in the early 80s. In 1985 they made the top 5 for the first time in a long time. They won in 1992, and again in 1995. Not all of those drills were written by Brubaker, but the ideas began with Brubaker. As important as his work was, it was somewhat overshadowed by Garfield in the 80s, and by 1993 Star through the 90s. In 1998 the Cavaliers began a return to greatness with a similar style of geometric writing and music construction that mirrored the visual book in a stunning way. But this became most evident with their "Four Corners" program in 2001. Perhaps not the cleanest show to win finals, but the way they used the field, the guard, they way the music was constructed, they way they extended phrases and created "moments" from the little things was a definite change. Their 2002, 03, and 04 shows continued to be stunning in execution and design. But perhaps the peak of this brilliant combination of music and visual came to a boiling point in 2006 with "Machine." The effects in this show were stunning, the way they could bring emotion many rows up into the stands captivated even the best of designers. No doubt that the bulk of the 2000s have belonged to the Green Machine in terms of changing the activity.

2010 - Present: Blue Devils

In 2009 BD began utilizing a new style of programing to go along with a new design to their uniform. Always the perennial champion in execution, BD has long been at the forefront of the activity. They have typically been the activity's best performers. In 1994 it was clear they began to change. Some new staff (namely one Todd Ryan from Star of Indiana). Credit him for the great feet this corps has. But BD has always had some of the best staff and design people. But lately, and in particular with their 2010 show, they have begun a major change in the acitivity. I felt their 2010 show was stunning in effect, and it was, in my estimation, the best performing drum corps we had seen since 2005 Cadets and 2002 Cavaliers. Maybe even better than those two corps. Their current show is wild and engaging in a manner not seen...EVER! Whether or not this current ride that BD is on causes real change, who knows? But clearly they are really trying to change the game. Let's see if others follow.

NOTE: As for corps that utilized narration, singing, synths, rap, and other effects and electronics, I consider most of that standard trial and error. Anytime a new rule passes that allows certain types of changes you know people are going to take advantage of the new rules. Where this all leads nobody knows, but there has been some good and a lot of bad that has come from the whole electronics usage.

I can agree with this.

Haven't followed DCI for as long or as closely as most of you but I'll throw in. Don't know how much these shows "changed" drum corps, but they were significant.

1983 Cadets - no explanation needed.

1991 Star of Indiana - showed that the middle horns could carry the horn line. Also first time since DCI started in early 70's that a corp other than Cadets, Devils or Scouts won the title.

1993 Star of Indiana - the first "out there" show to place that high. Still a crime they didn't win it.

1994 Blue Devils - (yeah I'm biased here) - first debut of "monkey drumming" that forever changed drumlines. More significantly, it marked the beginning of the "new" Blue Devils and a complete change in direction for them and it led to an unprecedented run. Including 1994 there have been 18 DCI Championships and BD has won 8. :bluedevil:

Not quite sure what you meant here, since you also had Santa Clara with a few titles in that period, not to mention Anaheim in 72 (although I am willing to count this one as "since early 70s")

I can agree with this.

Can someone please explain how Blue Devils have changed the activity since 2010? This isn't the first time people have made reference to it.

They have defined their own style (even before then) but is anyone in the activity copying what they are doing?

• Like 1

I remember Garfield in '82. It turned the activity on it's ear. They shocked many people and I'm sure if the Internet and DCP were around that year they would have taken up the majority of discussions. By '83 people had expected something different. 1982 was not a push. It was the beginning of a revolution.

Edited by LincolnV

I always take issue with references to SVC '80 as a game changer.

In actuality less than 2 minutes of the show was asymmetrical.

The largest portion of the show was still done on a 50/50 split but with a rotated axis.

I respectfully disagree. Pete Emmon's 1980 SCV drill was indeed the first asymmetrical. Pete was the first one in the water willing to take a huge risk and begin the long task of figuring out the logistical problems such as music balance and staging IMO. This was indeed a game changer.

Can someone please explain how Blue Devils have changed the activity since 2010? This isn't the first time people have made reference to it.

They have defined their own style (even before then) but is anyone in the activity copying what they are doing?

I think their 2010 show was sufficiently offputting to enough people that the fact that it won decisively led DCI to address it as directly as possible via Caesario's push for corps in 2011 to focus on "engaging the audience" and the Scouts' proposal for a rule change to add an Entertainment Effect caption, and DCI's rewrite of the scoring sheets.

And I believe all of the talk and effort *has* improved the general appeal of DCI shows in the past couple of years. YMMV about the results and I'm not sure how much the sheet changes have affected scores, but there's definitely been an effort in that direction.

hmmm.

Edited by wishbonecav

I remember Garfield in '82. It turned the activity on it's ear. They shocked many people and I'm sure if the Internet and DCP were around that year they would have taken up the majority of discussions. By '83 people had expected something different. 1982 was not a push. It was the beginning of a revolution.

A valid point. I just chose to go with 1983, but I definitely know how much that 1982 show began the movement initiated by Garfield and its staff.