Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

Am I qualified to talk about anything regarding drum corps, even after being intimately involved with the activity since the fall of 1974? Many would say "yes." Others, including myself, would say "no."

As for commenting on anything visual, I've written for WGI since about 1980, so please don't spill the beans to them about me being unqualified to talk about anything visual because I've got a couple music degrees (from the back of matchbook covers) and spend two weeks every early June in China with my music. Several years ago, to better familiarize myself with what visual judges look at, I even went through color guard judging workshops and field trialed guard contests with the Central States Judges Association. I didn't go on to judge...that wasn't the purpose; however, I did feel it gave me more perspective to write about the guard activity.

Hi Michael,

Please keep up your writing. Perhaps DCI could use more bloggers, but they would be hard pressed to find a better one.

In appreciation,

• Like 1

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

Well that's another "one man's opinion."

I have no affliation with any corps, just "In the Stands". Please do not discredit my valid question with the sour grapes cop out.

Ok then.... you accuse Michael of bias but give no specific examples. You mention that you believe that he has a lack of qualifications to have his position with DCI.org. What credentials do you think someone should have? And what are yours? I have seen some pretty heated arguments on these forums, but I am not used to seeing this kind of personal attack.

BTW my comment about being involved in drum corps for all these years was in no way a diss to you and I am sorry if it came off that way. When you say "sour grapes" I have no idea what you talking about. I won't respond to any more of your comments because there is something going on here that is very odd and completely distasteful.

Of The 35 years I mentioned only 3 were as a corps member the rest were just " In the stands".

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 2

I still think that DCI perpetuates a bias by hosting an official blog. Bringing up the topic on DCP will not change the DCI organization or structure. I don't expect it to. However, I do expect to be able to voice an opinion without it being called a "petty and silly complaint" because it differs from your opinion.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Yeah... Not sure what the big deal is, here. This is no different than an audio track commentary on a DVD, where "the opinions expressed here belong solely to the commentators and do not reflect the opinions of the studio" etc. etc.

Giving a person a platform to express his opinions is in no way an endorsement. It's a way of making the fans feel like they're a part of the activity by giving the activity a relatable face.

And given that Micheal Boo goes out of his way to be positive towards every corps, I fail to see what's at issue here. Perhaps he should show us his tax returns? Birth certificate? College transcript, maybe? I hear he was born in Hawaii.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Personally, I like reading his blogs. Besides reading what's on here, I often find whenever I can't attend a show, Boo's blogs helps to make me feel like I'm at the show. I especially liked the blog he had going on last year at finals. I hope he does that again this year.

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

Maybe start an independent blog?

DCI.org is like going to mlb.com or nfl.com to read the news. Some quality stuff on there in regards to historical facts but for opinion I'll take my reading to DCP :devil:

I thought blogs were where people give their opinion.

Is it "offical" or just happens to be on the DCI website?

Did you audition for that 2nd blog and get turned down?

s/ Guy who never read Mikes blogs but remember the Boooooooo Chronicals (yeah I'm old).

Which reminds me... where's Gadget da DCA blog champ?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Did you audition for that 2nd blog and get turned down?

s/ Guy who never read Mikes blogs but remember the Boooooooo Chronicals (yeah I'm old).

...hamp?

The truth is I drop kicked his puppy over a goal post, just to watch it attain terminal velocity. And yes, you are old. "The Boo Chronicles" in Drum Corps News predated "A Bit of Boo" in Drum Corps World and ran in the early to mid-1980s. I wrote them because a neighbor needed to line his parakeet cage.

• Like 1

Personally, I like reading his blogs. Besides reading what's on here, I often find whenever I can't attend a show, Boo's blogs helps to make me feel like I'm at the show. I especially liked the blog he had going on last year at finals. I hope he does that again this year.

Then I'm happy to report you'll be experiencing joy spasms this year. :smile:

• Like 1