An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

If I want to hear a G bugle line, I can go watch a DCA show, and hear people play them, but for now, I'm sticking to DCI and the gorgeous Bb horn lines.

I believe there are only 2 DCA corps playing G bugles: Renegades and Kilties. (any more?)

I have to express my concerns as to the status of drum corps currently. My number one issue is that the new judging system does not seem to have made difference in the way shows are scored. It seems to be just as biased as before. It must be terribly hard for all those members of corps see BD get credit many times when it is not due I have never been a fan od BD fan ;mostly because I find that many of the members are rude, whiny when they dont win and overall are disrespectul of other corps. This come from being involved in the activity for over thirty years as a volunteer in the activity. Mine is first hand info as I have heard them cuss other corps out, last year in the finale they squak their horns deliberately during the all corps performance and the list goes on. This is only my opinion and I am sure some will find fault but it is what I have experience over the years.

I think Crown should win as their horn line is far superion to BD or anyones.

Edited by grammie12

I can partly understand what the guy that started this thread is saying. Drumcorps has evolved a lot and the shows are quite different than they were in years past. Personally I still miss the power of G bugles. No corps today can produce the kind of overwhelming power that makes your heart race the way they could back when they were playing G horns. But, the G bugles were harder to play in tune, and while the top tier corps really mastered them well the other corps always sounds out of tune. Today the lower tier corps all sound better to me and the top tier corps still sound great. So....that's an example of the kind of change that has affected DCI over the years.

Overall, I think the changes are for the good and contrary to the poster I actually think that what BD is doing is the way many, many corps will move forward. I think once more corps throw out the traditional rule book so to speak the way BD did this year I think you'll see some absolutely incredible shows. Yeah BD's show doesn't have the kind of ending that gets people on their feet, and the first time or two I saw their show I didn't quite get it. But it has really grown on me and I see some real genius in what they've done this year. They don't look at all like a traditional drumcorps and believe it or not that's GOOD!!! It's what The Bridgemen did years back and they moved the activity forward in a big way. It's more variety, more creativity, more options for the various corps to explore. I actually think if every corps feels free to explore beyond their traditional bounds you'll have great shows, more kids participating in the activity, and more fans.

So...I don't agree with poster and those that think somehow the demise of the activity is at hand. On the contrary, I think a new wave of innovation is starting and that innovation is exactly what the activity will need to stay fresh, relevant, and vibrant for years to come.

• Like 2

So I personally find this letter ridiculous. Let me first say that this is a forum and you have every right to post your opinion but in the same breath by you posting your opinion you have opened up for others as well. I think that activity is moving in a direction where electronics are taking a large role and I'm not an advocate of such additions but in your letter you said you could handle all of the electronics. You mentioned that real reason why you are not going to follow DCI any longer is because you don't agree with the judges rewarding the Blue Devils simply because you do not like their show. If I walked away from DCI every time I disagreed with the winner of DCI I wouldn't have lasted 3 years. It's really a dumb reason to leave. I would rather you leave because of electronics then to say that you are leaving just because the judges award a corps show that you don't appreciate. BD's show is definitely different but they execute their show this year at a level that no other corps frankly can match this year. I'm not saying it's my favorite show of the year but their show is extremely difficult and extremely clean.

P.S.

Cavies 06 won by dancing and electronics. If you can handle that show you can handle every show.

My favorite show of the year by far was Jersey Surf but just because I like them doesn't mean they should win.

Those are my thoughts.

• Like 1

So I personally find this letter ridiculous. Let me first say that this is a forum and you have every right to post your opinion but in the same breath by you posting your opinion you have opened up for others as well. I think that activity is moving in a direction where electronics are taking a large role and I'm not an advocate of such additions but in your letter you said you could handle all of the electronics. You mentioned that real reason why you are not going to follow DCI any longer is because you don't agree with the judges rewarding the Blue Devils simply because you do not like their show. If I walked away from DCI every time I disagreed with the winner of DCI I wouldn't have lasted 3 years. It's really a dumb reason to leave. I would rather you leave because of electronics then to say that you are leaving just because the judges award a corps show that you don't appreciate. BD's show is definitely different but they execute their show this year at a level that no other corps frankly can match this year. I'm not saying it's my favorite show of the year but their show is extremely difficult and extremely clean.

P.S.

Cavies 06 won by dancing and electronics. If you can handle that show you can handle every show.

My favorite show of the year by far was Jersey Surf but just because I like them doesn't mean they should win.

Those are my thoughts.

This is the exact reason why this letter is no more than a BD rant, trying to be clouded up with the usual complaint of electronics and the good ol' days.

Edited by kaseyW
  • Like 1

I will challenge you.....how dare you...why would you possibibly think YOU should be the one deciding with no criteria. You think I want my kids after spending a fortune, 24/ 7 rehearsals, etc etc being decided by regional Bias, night to night in consistancies, someones dad or grandpa who may or may not be in touch with the entire activity, who likes what they like with no considersation of expanding their own thought process...yeah ok go for it..not in this lifetime.....but hey enjoy..or not :smile: thats a personal choice and everyone is certainly entitled to that.

Now you've done it. You've ###### me off and I accept your challenge.

Here is the hypothetical situation for the 2013 dci Championship.

You are at LOS tonight and you get one vote using your Smartphone® as does everyone with a ticket.

I last marched with a Top 12 corps in 1969 and I'm watching on PPV in my living room. I get one vote.

My Dad (i.e., a Grandpa-like character) is still alive and he was in the military in WWII and was a member of the local American Legion Post that sponsored the corps I belonged to in the 60's. He is a big fan and has seen lots of drum corps through the years --probably more than I have. He's also gonna vote.

Next, a description of the representative NATIONWIDE -not just Regional- AUDIENCE.

On the West Coast, we have a Dad in Concord, CA who will be attending the local movie 12-plex to watch the Finals where his son is aging-out with the BD's tonight. They couldn't afford to travel to Indy but the entire extended family is at the movie theater with their phones at-the-ready because they get one vote with each paid ticket.

SIMILAR STORIES REPEATED ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND . . .

finally on the East Coast, we have a single Mom from Bayonne who is hosting a Vodka Jello®-shot party for her daughters' friends, their parents, neighbors etc. who are members of the Jersey Surf. Even though they didn't make the finals, these people support drum corps and they are excited enough to pool their money and buy a PPV subscription to watch because they plan to vote --if they're still sober at the end of the contest.

AND WE'RE ALL CHATTING WITH EACH OTHER THROUGHOUT THE CONTEST BECAUSE WE KNOW EVERY VOTE COUNTS!

Now if only we had a music educator or former dci judge with advanced degrees to help us adjudicate our observations wisely.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wing it. Hope we don't upset the balance.

GUARDLING: Is this what you're worried about? That you somehow "earned" your vote and we didn't? That your vote should mean more than ours? :thumbdown:

You think you're gooder than we are, don't you? :glare:

• Like 2

Now you've done it. You've ###### me off and I accept your challenge.

Here is the hypothetical situation for the 2013 dci Championship.

You are at LOS tonight and you get one vote using your Smartphone® as does everyone with a ticket.

I last marched with a Top 12 corps in 1969 and I'm watching on PPV in my living room. I get one vote.

My Dad (i.e., a Grandpa-like character) is still alive and he was in the military in WWII and was a member of the local American Legion Post that sponsored the corps I belonged to in the 60's. He is a big fan and has seen lots of drum corps through the years --probably more than I have. He's also gonna vote.

Next, a description of the representative NATIONWIDE -not just Regional- AUDIENCE.

On the West Coast, we have a Dad in Concord, CA who will be attending the local movie 12-plex to watch the Finals where his son is aging-out with the BD's tonight. They couldn't afford to travel to Indy but the entire extended family is at the movie theater with their phones at-the-ready because they get one vote with each paid ticket.

SIMILAR STORIES REPEATED ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND . . .

finally on the East Coast, we have a single Mom from Bayonne who is hosting a Vodka Jello®-shot party for her daughters' friends, their parents, neighbors etc. who are members of the Jersey Surf. Even though they didn't make the finals, these people support drum corps and they are excited enough to pool their money and buy a PPV subscription to watch because they plan to vote --if they're still sober at the end of the contest.

AND WE'RE ALL CHATTING WITH EACH OTHER THROUGHOUT THE CONTEST BECAUSE WE KNOW EVERY VOTE COUNTS!

Now if only we had a music educator or former dci judge with advanced degrees to help us adjudicate our observations wisely.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wing it. Hope we don't upset the balance.

GUARDLING: Is this what you're worried about? That you somehow "earned" your vote and we didn't? That your vote should mean more than ours? :thumbdown:

You think you're gooder than we are, don't you? :glare:

never said better..more in touch than you? hmmmm could be , BUT , so you want all those examples you mentioned to decide show?...proves a point on how crazy that is.

Also Im not worried about anything, I got 2 groups in the big Dance...so Im a happy little camper tonight

You want to do that as a fan fav. go ahead as long as it doesnt call whos in , out win or lose......and you said "WE" I not challenging anyone..............but you and just in this instance.....no time or desire....I do hope if youre watching tonight that you find something to enjoy, I really do...otherwise you turn it off just like any TV show

Edited by GUARDLING

never said better..more in touch than you? hmmmm could be , BUT , so you want all those examples you mentioned to decide show?...proves a point on how crazy that is.

Also Im not worried about anything, I got 2 groups in the big Dance...so Im a happy little camper tonight

You want to do that as a fan fav. go ahead as long as it doesnt call whos in , out win or lose......and you said "WE" I not challenging anyone..............but you and just in this instance.....no time or desire....I do hope if youre watching tonight that you find something to enjoy, I really do...otherwise you turn it off just like any TV show

I'm no longer upset. I can let everyone read your response and form their own opinions. :rolleyes: