2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

taking out the trash and leaving the toilet seat in the down position ?

That would be negatory on that second one.

Here's my wife's reaction to my failed attempts in the latter subcaption: :w00t:

They'll have to just wait twenty years like 93 Star did to get their love.

Congratulations Devils!

I keep thinking about that, too! 93 Star was something that many (most?) people HATED. I dare say that almost 20 years later, more people talk about THAT show than the one that won for Cadets that year.

Personally, I don't care who wins. I think the shows need 10 years or so to simmer in our minds and our DVD players. Things look different after the passage of time...

I disagree while Stars show pushed limits and changed the direction of visual design it still based itself on established norms.

BD is changing the entire paradigm of visual thought. They are pretty much killing form to form marching and putting more emphasis on an intellectual program rather than entertainment.

Well, there's no reason you can't push to get the sheets changed.

Crown needs to hire Michael Gaines and perhaps someone experienced and good to come in and take over their percussion.... both these areas are weak

To be fair, they would need Gaines AND a kick butt Vis Caption Head as well to clean. Looking at the recaps, it's easy to write-off the 2nd place because of percussion, but look at these spreads in the Vis captions:

GE Vis: -.45 (luckily, though, they at least won GE Music, so the detriment of Vis in GE was only .35)

Vis Analysis: -.7

Color Guard: -.5

-----

Overall Visual: -.5

Having a 6th place percussion certainly didn't help (yet they also won Music Analysis, so percussion didn't completely kill them in Music: HOWEVER, their percussion score put them -.25 in overall Music).

But having those wide spreads in the vis captions across the board was, IMO, their biggest downfall. If Crown's Music Analysis was comparably lower (say, 3rd instead of 1st) because of percussion, you'd be on to something. But their Visual deficiency was their largest, and their visual issues hurt them considerably.

That all being said, when you look at the recap Crown 2012 is a corps with an incredible brass section and good but not great Visual program and sub-standard percussion. It's easy to watch their show and get caught up into the excitement of their sound and the great show. But looking at a score breakdown I think one could argue that Carolina Crown is currently a "one trick pony:" consistent Championship caliber brass but sub-Championship visual and percussion programs. You can't win a Championship on brass line alone, and until they address the deficiencies in all other captions, they won't come any closer than 2nd.

Of course, they clearly had the crowd on their side, and 2nd is an awesome accomplishment. They were clearly far above everyone but Blue Devils this season, and if their goal is to place Top 3 consistently I think they're in a great spot. If their goal is to win DCI, though, they have quite a bit of work to do.

I don't know what the answer is, and I think their percussion and visual are better than previous seasons. Maybe they're in the right place, and their vis designers just need tweak their design and figure out the formula between great, complex and effective drill design that is also achievable and able to be perfected by the members.

Regardless, this was a(nother) great DCI season. Bones was back in Finals, there were several crowd-pleasing shows, and once again the corps with the least amount of flaws wins: a Champion with no less than FOUR judges scoring them perfect!

• Like 1

That would be negatory on that second one.

Here's my wife's reaction to my failed attempts in the latter subcaption: :w00t:

I feel your pain. I'm in a household of all woman. I have no chance.

Well, there's no reason you can't push to get the sheets changed.

I thought that the entire sheet redesign was the change.... it just changed the verbiage, not anything else really

• Like 1

7 DaDa shows next year. even more birdcages though.

Not the faux DaDa. The visual design is what will be copied. That will enable tons of other aspect of the corps to be cleaner too. rolleyes.gif

That's been my worry 2009 with these types of visual shows... Everyone is going to need to copy in order to have a chance at winning...

Unfortunately, copying doesn't mean other corps would get the same credit from the judges.

With BD's show, I felt like I was watching a WGI show with a horn line and drum line playing. Just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

No one is blaming the kids, Me (and most other people) just think that the Scores are a bit ridiculous, (I personally think its pretty #### insane that they were Perfect in almost all captions, BD is good, but not that good).

I am proud for the kids since they won the Championship, I fully Understnad and respect that BD was on a another level, I just feel like they are turning off the crowd with these weird ### Show ideas that need a wikipedia page to understand, and its causing the boos and negativity.

People bring their own negativity and project it onto the Blue Devils or whoever they happen to hate that year. Last year I saw a BD production full of engaging pop charts from the 70s 'elevator music.'

There's no winning with these people. That's why BD has largely tuned them out. Success breeds envy, jealousy, and spite. Period. The end.

• Like 6