2013 Predictions

Why did ya'll react to this troll (Martin I. Zing) Troll !

Nothing ventured, nothing gained:

1. Carolina Crown

2. Cadets

3. tie - Blue Devils / Phantom Regiment

5. Boston Crusaders

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Cavaliers

8. Bluecoats

9. Crossmen

10. Blue Stars

11. Blue Knights

12. Madison Scouts

13. Academy

14. Spirit of Atlanta

15. Pacific Crest

16. Colts

17. Troopers

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Glassmen

20. Mandarins

21. Jersey Surf

22. Cascades (23)

23. Pioneer (26)

1. Vanguard Cadets (22)

2. Spartans (25)

3. Blue Devils B (24)

4. Genesis (27)

5. Legends (29)

6. Gold (28)

7. Raiders (30)

8. Music City (31)

9. 7th Regiment (32)

10. Les Stentors (33)

11. Blue Saints (34)

12. Colt Cadets (35)

Numbers in parentheses indicate prelims/semis when OC competes against WC.

(Not knowing which OC corps will be at either OC or WC prelims, I'm leaving out City Sound, Impulse, Racine Scouts, Spirit of Newark/NJ, Thunder, and Velvet Knights. And Blue Devils C, of course. Any new OC corps debuting or old ones reviving?)

I look forward to seeing the many ways in which my predictions go wrong!

Your WC predictions are good but OC... there is NO WAY the Spartans are going to come in higher than BDB. Yes they've got the best color guard but the rest of their visual is not above BDB's. No way.

• Like 1

1. Carolina Crown - Percussion and visual improvements. Continuance of Brass Supremacy.

2. Blue Devils - Strong as always, but Crown is able to vault over them this year.

3. Phantom Regiment - Only slightly ahead of The Cadets, however, still improve from last year's results.

4. The Cadets - After attempting a brand new show concept, the corps is able to not #### off fans by the lack of electronic BS.

5. The Cavaliers - Rebuilding from last year's drop in quality, the corps reestablishes itself as one of DCI's elite.

6. Santa Clara Vanguard - Taking 2nd in Drums, the corps needs to make improvements visually and musically.

7. Bluecoats - Fan favorite as always, not enough to be in the top.

8. Boston Crusaders - Same as always.

9. Madison Scouts - Fan favorite as always,, not enough to be in the top.

10. Blue Knights - Don't really care.

11. Spirit of Atlanta - Don't really care.

12. Crossmen - Don't really care.

• Like 2

Your WC predictions are good but OC... there is NO WAY the Spartans are going to come in higher than BDB. Yes they've got the best color guard but the rest of their visual is not above BDB's. No way.

Well, we're all really just guessing, and I'll absolutely cop to bias: I like to see things shaken up. But I tried not to be too unrealistic. You'll notice I didn't put Blue Saints ahead of BDB! Anyway, every corps has an off-year eventually. Plus I thought I had read that Spartans got a sizeable donation in the past few months, which could help them. And Spartans did beat BDB in 2006 and 2007, which wasn't that long ago.

1. Carolina Crown - Percussion and visual improvements. Continuance of Brass Supremacy.

2. Blue Devils - Strong as always, but Crown is able to vault over them this year.

3. Phantom Regiment - Only slightly ahead of The Cadets, however, still improve from last year's results.

4. The Cadets - After attempting a brand new show concept, the corps is able to not #### off fans by the lack of electronic BS.

5. The Cavaliers - Rebuilding from last year's drop in quality, the corps reestablishes itself as one of DCI's elite.

6. Santa Clara Vanguard - Taking 2nd in Drums, the corps needs to make improvements visually and musically.

7. Bluecoats - Fan favorite as always, not enough to be in the top.

8. Boston Crusaders - Same as always.

9. Madison Scouts - Fan favorite as always,, not enough to be in the top.

10. Blue Knights - Don't really care.

11. Spirit of Atlanta - Don't really care.

12. Crossmen - Don't really care.

Would it be fair to characterize you as a fan of the G-7? It's not beyond imagining that BK, Spirit, or Xmen will place 7th or better sometime in the next few years. They all have before -- BK not so terribly long ago. (And Spirit beat Cavaliers at least once over the summer.) Would you "care" about them then?

As for Boston "same as always" in 8th, they've only held that placement once, you know.

• Like 5

Here are my current hopes based on what few programs have been announced, new staff announcements and, really, what I'd really like to see happen.

1. Carolina Crown - This has been overdue for YEARS! 2009 and 2012 should've been Crown victories, but I won't rehash any of that here. Carolina Crown have been fan favorites since 2007 and it's high time the scores reflect this. I believe that Crown will build on the growth in the percussion and visual sections this year and finally get their first Championship, that should be their third. Plus I see Crown going on a West Coast tour and seeing Blue Devils early on in the season as something that will really help them get to the top.

2. Santa Clara Vanguard - Another underscored corps, I really believe that Santa Clara will build on what they did last year and finally medal again. I wanted them to medal this year and in 2009, but obviously that didn't happen. I really feel that, no matter what the scores reflect, Santa Clara is the Best of the West! Hopefully, this year, they'll finally be back in the Top 3 again.

3. The Cadets - Honestly, just from hearing what they're doing musically and concept wise, I'm ready to hype the 2013 Cadets. I know some people have not really liked them lately, with 2011 being the obvious exception, but this show just screams Top 3 just from what we've been told about the design. I can't wait to see what they come up with using the whole "Both Sides Now" concept.

4 or 5. Phantom Regiment - Phantom Regiment is such a strong corps. With the exception of 2009, they've really been a powerhouse since at least 2001 and especially since 2007. I don't see them slipping any lower than fourth.

4 or 5. Blue Devils - I know I'll get blasted for this, but it could happen. It has happened. They've been in 5th before (1991) and they've been in 4th many times. What I see happening is that the four corps listed above will come out stronger than normal and will top Blue Devils by the end of the season. IF this does happen, it will be CLOSE like it was in 1980.

6. Bluecoats - Always a strong corps and always a fan favorite. I just don't see them pulling up again unless they come out with an amazing show and get some new talent.

7. Madison Scouts - Building on the successes of the past three seasons, I see Madison finally rising up in to the Top 8 -- a place they should've been last year. I'd love to see them higher, but that may be too much to hope for. They have an incredible staff and have had a fantastic talent level the past three seasons. They're definitely a corps to watch. If things keep up as they have, I see them medalling in either 2014 or 2015. I'd love to see Madison win another Championship too, though!

8 or 9. Crossmen - Another corps building on their successes. Crossmen had a fantastic year this year and, deservedly, made it into Finals again. If they can keep this up, I see only good things for them in the future. This may be a little too much to hope for, but I see talent recruiting going up for Crossmen after last year. It's hard to decide between Crossmen and Spirit of Atlanta when it comes to who is going to be in 8th or 9th, though.

8 or 9. Spirit of Atlanta - That being said, I see Spirit of Atlanta rising as well. I thought they should've been higher this year, but that's just how I felt. They've been doing so well lately and I just want to see them rise in the rankings. It's just hard to say who I want to be where, like I just said, between Spirit of Atlanta and Crossmen.

10 Boston Crusaders - The only reason I put Boston here is because I want to see Madison, Crossmen and go up in the rankings -- which means Boston has to come down. They are an incredible corps and I love their shows every year. But, for what I want to see happen with Madison, Crossmen and Spirit, they have to go down.

11. The Cavaliers - I really think that their problems last year with their show design and performance will haunt them again this year and they will actually drop lower. Until they can recapture what they were in 2000-2004, I don't see them getting back to the top again -- nor do I honestly want them to. This is nothing against the performers. It's just that I can't stand the way their shows have been designed from 2005 to present, with the exception of 2008. The shows they presented during those years, with the exception of 2008 as I said, seemed too mechanical and never have any heart. If they don't go back to their heyday in the early 2000's, I don't see them doing any better.

12. Blue Knights - They did well this year, and I like Blue Knights, but for what I want to see happen above them, I had to place them here. I'd love to see them lower, but only because there are corps I'm putting below them that I'd love to see higher ... but that is nothing against the corps. I just want to see those others recapture previous success and move up in the rankings. However, I don't think Blue Knights could realistically place any lower than 12th.

--

13. Troopers - With the new staff appointments, I am already hyping Troopers 2013. They're going to be a beast this year! If other things I want to happen above them don't, I could see Troop making finals again this year.

14. Blue Stars - I love the Blue Stars ... but, for me, if they don't go back to what they did in 2011 and do it better, they won't get back into Finals. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think their 2011 show was amazing! It was actually my second favorite show from the season. I'd love to see them do something like that again, but improve on those areas that kept their show from being higher in the rankings.

15. Jersey Surf - This is one of the most out there moves of this list, but I do think it could happen. Jersey Surf had a fantastic program in 2012 and I think that's going to lead to a huge jump in membership interest and talent. That being said, if they can keep with that kind of show and do it just as well, if not better, with more talent I do see them moving up to 15th or somewhere around here. Fun like what they presented last year is something that is missing from Drum Corps. If Jersey Surf makes this their identity within DCI, they WILL attract new members and more talent and rise through the rankings. If they can keep it up ... I see them making it into Finals in 2015 ... maybe even 2014, but that's probably a long shot.

16. Glassmen - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

17. The Academy - Just because of where I placed corps above them. But, they will place much higher in brass.

18. Oregon Crusaders - I always hope that a new World Class Corps will do well in their first season. I wanted Teal to place 15th or higher in their first season. But, considering where Oregon Crusaders placed at Prelims and Semis last year, this seems VERY possible. Being a World Class corps now, I think it's likely they will see an increase in membership and talent level, so I see this as highly possible.

19. Pacific Crest - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

20. Colts - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

21. Mandarins - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

22. Cascades - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

23. Pioneer - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

As I said, this is just pretty much what I want to see happen, within the constraints of being as realistic as possible. Honestly, if I wasn't trying to be realistic, the Top 12 would look more like this:

1. Carolina Crown

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Madison Scouts

4. The Cadets

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Bluecoats

7. Spirit of Atlanta

8. Crossmen

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Stars

11. Troopers

12. Jersey Surf

I know ... incredibly unrealistic. Those are just the corps I'd love to see in the Top 12. I know there's absolutely no way it would ever happen that all 12 of these would be in the Top 12 at the same time, though.

• Like 3

Regiment medaling two years in a row?!? Now that'd be a very successful triumph if they did that.

:)

I see what you did there :ph34r::thumbup:

Forget the fact that it's WAY too early. It's all for fun.

1. Carolina Crown - I believe that they will finally find their luster, and harness their dynamic designs into something that's awe inspiring and 1st place achievable.

2. Blue Devils - They'll still have the same thunder they had this season, but it is time for a new champion.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard - Bringing them back to the top 3. The last time was 2004. They have one of the best perc/brass writers in all of drum corps, and this year's production was outstanding.

4/5/6. Cadets/Phantom Regiment/Bluecoats - it's a toss up between these two.

7. Cavaliers - Like Phantom Regiment after 2009, they will rise back up, but it will be a slow rise.

8. Blue Knights - Personally I'd love see my favorite corps make the top 8 again, and they have the design team to do it.

9/10. Madison Scouts/Boston Crusaders - Two corps that have impressed and produced fan favorites as of recent years.

11. Crossmen - They got the fire started back up, and they wont stop any time soon.

12. Spirit of Atlanta - Still a finals corps, I just don't know how far they'll move up.

I would write in the rest, but I'm too lazy too.

I'm game:

* Crown will either win their first or come in second again by the closest margin they've ever had: maybe 2nd by .1 - .4

* Cadets will either win by a few tenths or lose to Crown by a few tenths

* Blue Devils will be less than a point behind #2; 2013 Top 3 will be less than a point from 3rd-1st and going into Finals week/night there will be a literal sense of "anyone can win it tonight." There will be a different winner in Quarters from Semis, and the spread will shrink between Semis and Finals.

* 4th = SCV. They'll have a solid spread between themselves and 5th, but will also have a decent spread between 4th and Top 3. Top 3 will be anyone's game, but SCV will be entrenched in 4th

* Phantom and Cavaliers will duke it out for 5th place. Cavaliers will come back strong, with both staff and membership on fire for Top 6. Things will be even more interesting with the two Ill. corps in constant battle with each other all season, trading wins back and forth. This race will be too close to call, but Phantom's experience will give them the slight edge of Cavaliers.

* Boston continues putting out a solid, competitive corps, but can't quite make the jump to Top 6. They're a distance 7th, narrowly defeating Bluecoats who have a "down" year. The last 5 or so years fans have said "Top 7 is the new Top 6," and this year they will say "Top 8 is the new Top 7" with all Top 8 corps breaking 90.

Based on new staffing, repertoire and preliminary talent levels

1. Blue Devils

2. Cadets

3. Carolina

4. SCV

5. Phantom

6. Cavaliers

7. Bluecoats

8. Madison

9. Boston

10. Knights

11. Stars