What does BDs’ victory really mean?

Why can't some people just bring themselves to admit that BD has a VERY strong orgnization as a whole from top to bottom.

Because they're fans of Curling and never heard of the Blue Devils of Drum Corps ?

• Like 1

I have never seen anyone on this site suggest that the Blue Devils aren't a "VERY strong organization."

I have seen many people who dislike their shows.

There are folks who cant get past the strength of the BD organization and think they owe everyone else a little sumthin' sumthin'.

In reality they field 3 corps, 2 winterguards, a wind symphony & a performance group in their community. Pretty amazing actually. Reminds me of my high school. There are not many organizations with that strength in the music education community. None that stand alone like BD, that I can think of.

• Like 5

Good thinking, Pete. Can't wait for you to send your suggestion to DCI!

I'll get right on it!

Hey, the ad at the top of my screen right now is for "Fanfare Marching & Cinematic Brass" and says "The new sound library ...". I clicked on it and it brought me to this link:

http://www.samplelog...roducts/fanfare

Which is advertising Blue Devils clips as samples! Looks to me like they are blatantly marketing samples of, shall we say, 'a better corps than yours' to play over your own show. DCI should at least ban any electronically produced sounds that could be mistaken for brass or percussion. I would think?

Anyway, there it was in front of me so I had to comment on it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

• Like 1

There are folks who cant get past the strength of the BD organization and think they owe everyone else a little sumthin' sumthin'.

In reality they field 3 corps, 2 winterguards, a wind symphony & a performance group in their community. Pretty amazing actually. Reminds me of my high school. There are not many organizations with that strength in the music education community. None that stand alone like BD, that I can think of.

Well you did mention high schools. Most have more performing groups than that but I get your point.

Part of having a fan friendly show is you can sell lots of souvies! But I imagine BD org doesn't rely heavily on that and it would be interesting to compare souvie sales from year to year among different corps.

got to remember KIDS buy alot of souvies...maybe more than others....Ive seen on tour a kid not having 2 cents to their names but buying 30 dollar tee shirts from corps..I also wouldnt be surprised if BDs souvies sales arent high....what kid wouldnt want to walk around with a top corps shirt on

Why can't some people just bring themselves to admit that BD has a VERY strong orgnization as a whole from top to bottom. I'm not talking about the kids in the "A" corps that we see on the field in any given year. I mean the administrative staff, the instructional staff, the recruiting, the fund raising, the parents, the volunteers and the alumni who keep it all going. They're nothing short of phenonmonal. If they finish outside of third at finals people are shocked! That my freinds is the sign of an extraordinary orginization. I'm no BD wonk, but I for one salute them for their achievements. They deserve every bit of it.

I have never seen anyone on this site suggest that the Blue Devils aren't a "VERY strong organization."

I have seen many people who dislike their shows.

Not sure why people are dinging mikespeed for his comment. I have never said anything about Blue Devils NOT being a strong organization as they obviously know what it takes to win. My respect for them as an organization still doesn't change my opinion of their recent shows.

• Like 1

You're talking about the judges and there's no disputing who the judges liked. I'm talking about the fans in the stands and the loud voices of discontent on DCP. There's considerable debate about who the fans wanted to win this year. I'll also add this debate was mostly absent from last year's contest.

So could you please release no here your findings of who the fans in the stands voted for as #1? Looks like your implying that BD didnt win So im guessing you went and polled every single person and came out with different findings?

As far as us experts here on DCP I didnt know I had a vote? Someone please tell me next year so I remember to vote. It appears that DCI needs my expertise!!!

• Like 2

So could you please release no here your findings of who the fans in the stands voted for as #1? Looks like your implying that BD didnt win So im guessing you went and polled every single person and came out with different findings?

As far as us experts here on DCP I didnt know I had a vote? Someone please tell me next year so I remember to vote. It appears that DCI needs my expertise!!!

All I am implying is what has been said over and over again on DCP throughout this season. The BDs are really good at executing shows that many people don't get or like. The judges like and reward the execution.

As far as DCP having a vote, you're right we don't have a vote to determine the champion. But as the topic of this thread indicates, will the BDs victory mean more corps are going to focus on executing shows like BDs that no one likes? If so, fans may begin to cast the ultimate vote and walk away from the activity.

• Like 1

All I am implying is what has been said over and over again on DCP throughout this season. The BDs are really good at executing shows that many people don't get or like. The judges like and reward the execution.

As far as DCP having a vote, you're right we don't have a vote to determine the champion. But as the topic of this thread indicates, will the BDs victory mean more corps are going to focus on executing shows like BDs that no one likes? If so, fans may begin to cast the ultimate vote and walk away from the activity.

people from the beginning of DCI have walked away because of any kind of change....it happened in the beginning and still does to this day....nothing new...also DCP is not majority by any means but does reflect a small percentage of the activity..........many on social networks and news groups also have some who dont even attend a show, some not even on fan network.....now that doesnt mean they shouldnt have opinions on general direction of things and certainly are entitled to their opinion but does any pole, network, news group speak for ALL....or even majority....NO.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3