What does BDs’ victory really mean?

To the people who judge these contests they were the best this year. Putting it all into perspective, you win by being the best. They were the best

You're talking about the judges and there's no disputing who the judges liked. I'm talking about the fans in the stands and the loud voices of discontent on DCP. There's considerable debate about who the fans wanted to win this year. I'll also add this debate was mostly absent from last year's contest.

• Like 2

...Now, about GE. How does GE become degree of difficulty and execution? A corps doing basics box for 11 minutes could score high on execution, but low on GE. This is NOT BECAUSE it would be boring. This is key; it would be because the show wouldn't be artistic. It wouldn't express anything. The difference between exciting and 'merely' artistic is (arguably) the difference between Crown and BD this year...

I think you're on to something. The biggest disconnect between the judges and the fans is GE. What we think of as GE is not typically what the judges score. If we replace GE category entirely with AE - Artistic Effect - the judges would be able to evaluate as they have been without confusing the fans. General Effect has always been too broad a category anyway. It's just too general. Artistic effect would remove the applause factor and focus this entirely about artistry, which is what it's been about always anyway.

Good thinking, Pete. Can't wait for you to send your suggestion to DCI!

HH

Edited by glory

You're talking about the judges and there's no disputing who the judges liked. I'm talking about the fans in the stands and the loud voices of discontent on DCP. There's considerable debate about who the fans wanted to win this year. I'll also add this debate was mostly absent from last year's contest.

I come to DCP to look at who is whining today, sometimes I call people out on childish behavior. Most of MY DRUM CORPS FRIENDS do not come to DCP anymore. Because of the childish vitriol here. So sure if you feel good being in agreement with the folks whO grace the pages of DCP, go for it by all means. But it doesn't make you realistic just cause u found where people agree with you!

• Like 5

I come to DCP to look at who is whining today, sometimes I call people out on childish behavior. Most of MY DRUM CORPS FRIENDS do not come to DCP anymore. Because of the childish vitriol here. So sure if you feel good being in agreement with the folks whO grace the pages of DCP, go for it by all means. But it doesn't make you realistic just cause u found where people agree with you!

AGREE!

• Like 4

. There's considerable debate about who the fans wanted to win this year.

True.. some wanted Phantom Regiment.. some wanted Crown... Some wanted SCV... others Madison Scouts...quite a few wanted Jersey Surf, etc. There is nothing new under the sun here, imo.

• Like 1

people agree on DCP ?

Does Mike Boo know this ?

• Like 3

IMO the audience reaction has more to with a desire to reward the program that takes far greater risks but perhaps was a fraction of a degree less clean in some of those risks.

Jersey Surf and Phantom Regiment seemed to reach the audience very well this year and yet wern't all THAT clean, so this deoes have merit, imo.

Most people in audiences arn't looking for " perfection ". Judges are looking for that. Thats a much higher threshold. Most audiences take a day off from busy work and just want to be entertained. Its a lower threshold, but seemingly harder for some Corps to attain with the audience. Jersey Surf, at their group level, has figured it out. Same with Phantom Regiment at a higher group level.

• Like 1

Why can't some people just bring themselves to admit that BD has a VERY strong orgnization as a whole from top to bottom. I'm not talking about the kids in the "A" corps that we see on the field in any given year. I mean the administrative staff, the instructional staff, the recruiting, the fund raising, the parents, the volunteers and the alumni who keep it all going. They're nothing short of phenonmonal. If they finish outside of third at finals people are shocked! That my freinds is the sign of an extraordinary orginization. I'm no BD wonk, but I for one salute them for their achievements. They deserve every bit of it.

• Like 2

Why can't some people just bring themselves to admit that BD has a VERY strong orgnization as a whole from top to bottom. I'm not talking about the kids in the "A" corps that we see on the field in any given year. I mean the administrative staff, the instructional staff, the recruiting, the fund raising, the parents, the volunteers and the alumni who keep it all going. They're nothing short of phenonmonal. If they finish outside of third at finals people are shocked! That my freinds is the sign of an extraordinary orginization. I'm no BD wonk, but I for one salute them for their achievements. They deserve every bit of it.

I have never seen anyone on this site suggest that the Blue Devils aren't a "VERY strong organization."

I have seen many people who dislike their shows.

• Like 3