What does BDs’ victory really mean?

BORG

That's cute. I'm actually not a big fan of BD at all, but I figured out to be objective and respect what it is that they've figured out how to do year in and year out.

They are probably the most adaptable corps out there, because they take every rule change, and fluidly move right into the new direction with a killer show. Second year after asymmetrical drill becomes standard, they have an undefeated season. First year of any-key brass, they take 3rd. First year with narration allowed, they win. First year with crowd engagement added to the sheets, they go undefeated. You can't argue with their model for success. Always adapt and improve.

Good post. Possible minor correction: I thought narration was first allowed in 2004 (I'm thinking of Crown's song from RENT and beatnik-poem) in which case BD took second with an excellent show that eschewed narration ("Summer Train Blues Mix"). They tried narration the following year, but achieved what was for them a very poor result.

Good post. Possible minor correction: I thought narration was first allowed in 2004 (I'm thinking of Crown's song from RENT and beatnik-poem) in which case BD took second with an excellent show that eschewed narration ("Summer Train Blues Mix"). They tried narration the following year, but achieved what was for them a very poor result.

Ah, thank you for the correction. yes, the first year with voice was 2004, and they placed 2nd. I was close on that one. For some reason, I thought it was 2007 for narration, but you are correct about it being 2004. I just try to repress Crown's 04 show with all of that narration.

That's cute. I'm actually not a big fan of BD at all, but I figured out to be objective and respect what it is that they've figured out how to do year in and year out.

Sorry, I was just responding to the "Adapt and improve" from your post....sounded Borg-like to me, but oh well.

You mentioned audience engagement added to the sheets. From the responses to their show that have been stated on dcp, I don't quite understand ??? What is it in the definition for this criterion that the judges awarded positively to BD over other corps?

For us average fans, we'd call it "positive audience feedback". Judges must be interpreting it differently. Why can't they put a "number of standing ovations per show" category on the sheets?

Sorry, I was just responding to the "Adapt and improve" from your post....sounded Borg-like to me, but oh well.

You mentioned audience engagement added to the sheets. From the responses to their show that have been stated on dcp, I don't quite understand ??? What is it in the definition for this criterion that the judges awarded positively to BD over other corps?

For us average fans, we'd call it "positive audience feedback". Judges must be interpreting it differently. Why can't they put a "number of standing ovations per show" category on the sheets?

Well, they adapt and improve whenever there are rule changes, and that's why they're so successful.

Well, they are interpreting it as audience engagement, not audience enjoyment. Whether you have a positive reaction or negative reaction, you are having a reaction to their show. And that's engagement. It doesn't have to be enjoyment for everyone, but it's enjoyment for some, and engaging everyone whether you start crying or are bored out of your mind.

I wish they would put a standing ovations category on the sheets, but then we'd only ever seen Madison win, unless the Blue Devils started designing their shows to produce more standing ovations than anything else, because their design staff could do that. No matter what the rules are, that staff can design a show to max out the sheets. Even if it leaves a big chunk of the people in the stands silent at the end of the show.

I know FSUbone responded to this (and did a pretty good job), but I thought I would add my $.02

There is DEFINITELY a difference between 'engagement' and 'entertainment' or 'enjoyment'. Many, MANY people thought that entertainment was going to be on the sheets, and assumed that's what'engagement' meant. Hence the flood of negative reactions to BD's show; it was not what most would call 'entertaining'.

I think 'engagement' means is it interesting- is there something going on that the audience gets involved in, be that involvement of the "throwing babies" persuasion, or the "scratch your head and figure out what just happened to you" persuasion.

BORG

Lol that Borg marched SCV. There is respect between the two teams, but NO love.

while not a recent fan of BD's offerings, what theydo is win because they are not clean. they show they can do a skill and move on, and not run at 220 bpm half the show or over layer the show with body that never gets fully clean.

Now, while I usually like shows that do what BD doesn't do in theirs, I realize that BD has mastered the system. It's going to take a GE juggernaut like Cadets 11 to pass them up. Crown tried this year, but the percussion was an issue and visually it never got sparkling clean. Of course I thought BD changing jackets was an eyesore, but that's why I don't judge visual.

The other thing thatmay help is if the judges grow a set and put BD's numbers where they belong finals week...performer over the book.Thatwill give corps who 'more" as the laymen see it a chance to win if their demand numbers go up and the spread to the bottom box is narrow.

Wear a football helmet and you'll be none the worse for the experience, Michael.

Yes, but that would be cheating.

To love everything about drum corps, one must be willing to experience some pain, or at least a little indigestion here and there. :tongue:

Well, they adapt and improve whenever there are rule changes, and that's why they're so successful.

And for the last 20ish years, they execute REALLY well. People are putting a lot of stock in BD's show designs (which are effective and hit all the high points on the sheets), but BD also executes better than most in all captions.

Well, they are interpreting it as audience engagement, not audience enjoyment. Whether you have a positive reaction or negative reaction, you are having a reaction to their show. And that's engagement. It doesn't have to be enjoyment for everyone, but it's enjoyment for some, and engaging everyone whether you start crying or are bored out of your mind.

That's true: their shows seem to get plenty of reaction from everyone in the activity: more so than most corps.

I wish they would put a standing ovations category on the sheets, but then we'd only ever seen Madison win, unless the Blue Devils started designing their shows to produce more standing ovations than anything else, because their design staff could do that. No matter what the rules are, that staff can design a show to max out the sheets. Even if it leaves a big chunk of the people in the stands silent at the end of the show.

I'm SO OK with not every corps pandering to the lowest common denominator or mass broad appeal. Not every movie needs to be a mindless, thoughtless blockbuster summer movie (and nor does every movie have to be a groundbreaking, thought-provoking masterpiece like Citizen Kane, or 8 1/2 or something). I LOVE that Finals night brings a pretty wide spectrum of show designs: you literally had a 'tribute' to dadaism followed by the Uncommon man followed by an opera followed by Christmas tunes! I love that all four of those shows are wildly different, and would hate for every corps to design the same styles.