What does BDs’ victory really mean?

True story. We've even seen the Cadets take from every genre of music to do shows. Even in the last ten years. We've seen film scores, Broadway tunes, classical literature, jazz, swing, ragtime, folk music, acid rock, ballet, even Christmas music.

Every corps must be versatile in order to be competitive and successful. There is no corps in last year's Top 12 that has only ever played one genre of music for their entire history.

Curious... What would be the acid rock genre?

If he hadn't limited himself to the Cadets, you could always say 2007 Madison, when they played "Kashmir."

...In general the judges seem to do a reasonable job of ignoring the (sometimes awful) artistic decisions of the show designers and focusing on how well the corps members express it ...

I think part of what BD's victory proves is that jazz running at 4 to 5 at 220 bpm while playing articulated 32nd note runs in 7/8 does not necessarily entitle any corps to win. If you want to do all that, fine, but don't assume that your corps is going to win just because your show is more difficult. It seems to me that being clean generally trumps higher demand...

These two points are the ones we should take a lesson from.

First, the judges aren't judging content - at least not the way we fans are. The judges aren't passing judgment on dada or mirrors or chairs any more than they are expressing a view on Christmas or the common man. And that's as it should be. It's wonderful when angels and demons can come together in a championship package. But it doesn't happen every year, particularly when a corps as talented and successful as BD brings its unique artistic vision to the field as it does.

This seemed to happen less a generation ago because corps tended to hew closer to traditional formats. Let's not forget, however, that not everyone was pleased with Garfield's success in the 80s. There were times its repertoire, with some less well known (and contemporary) classical numbers, crossed the "hummable" boundary some preferred. Likewise, its modern marching style seemed similarly out of bounds for those who preferred more military maneuver.

Second, difficulty by itself seldom gets the credit it seeks. Cadets 2009 is the best recent example I know. That show heeped demand on demand but couldn't reach the summit because it couldn't meet the challenge. Achievement has to match demand or you leave an obvious gap the judges can't close. If BD has succeeded at anything since 1994, it has been to design shows with a level of demand the corps can achieve. Cadets often over-reach (or underperform). Crown came up short this summer too. Phantom, on the other hand, maxed out, I think.

BD's win in 2012 proves its team understands that the judges will judge what BD puts on the field. Success depends on a formula that has a lot more to do with ambitious, yet reachable, performance targets than it does with any theme they might choose.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

Just a thought here- I don't think the Blue Devils are outside the box any more. I think they're just doing moderately imaginative and very safe rehashes of their 2008 show. They've found out what works for the judges, and they're sticking with it.

• Like 1

Gotcha, BD takes 2nd with a show theme that many years later Phantom used to place 4th. And BD can't tell the story as well. Keep talking with your ears plugged my friend.

Even worse, Phantom took 5th with that show. :tongue:

White Rabbit out of the 2006 show? Jefferson Airplane is pretty much definitive acid rock

Even worse, Phantom took 5th with that show. :tongue:

Oops...