What does BDs’ victory really mean?

If I saw what the judges see in BD I would love them. if I just had a better understanding of why their design approach garners such favor I would love them. If I could hear a GE judge or visual ensemble judge, or colorguard judge point of view of their rep and performance I would love them. Until then this disconnect makes me not love them. No personal vendetta, no innate hatred, just a disconnect from a purely judging/point perspective. I have no problem with the BD org or even there show designs, just how they are judged. Because my perception, based in what I know, does not line up with the judges for this specific corps, and only this corps (sort of)

It would honestly be enlightening to hear from actual judges on how they give numbers out to completely different approaches to drum corps/drill/music/demand/artistry/etc.

I mean theres no reason that DCI judging needs to be such a secret... Release tapes or give explanations why this corps caption was better than anothers. Maybe it's too much to ask but that's all I'm looking for. :)

I can still disagree with the judges but to me reading thd sheets alone still leaves me wanting more understanding.

Honestly, I don't want my favorite show or corps to win all the time. But I just want to be excited and content with whoever wins, even if I fmdont like the show or the corps (this is not the case in 2012). I feel I am capable of this if I just get more concrete explanations of what judges want, look for and reward.

And curse the person who takes these comments out context or twists them around ;)

IIRC, back in 1991, and maybe just for one season, DCI sent out a newsletter to Friends of DCI during the summer with summaries of judges' thoughts on the top competing corps.--what they liked, what they criticized. It was helpful to an extent to get that information. I don't know why they stopped.

IIRC, back in 1991, and maybe just for one season, DCI sent out a newsletter to Friends of DCI during the summer with summaries of judges' thoughts on the top competing corps.--what they liked, what they criticized. It was helpful to an extent to get that information. I don't know why they stopped.

corps!!!!

Oh, I can tell you all you would want to know about that, as I'm the one who wrote it. Scoreline lasted for two seasons. We collected quotes from numerous judges after they judged the shows over the weekend and I then distilled those quotes, reporting on what the judges stated they were telling the instructors on their sheets and tapes. I then faxed in the copy to DCI and they transcribed it, set it in the news sheet form and then mailed it out first class.

A number of instructors and directors went ballistic over what was written about their corps. It was honest and frank. I didn't make anything up and if I was guilty of anything, it was toning down some of the frank comments the judges made about certain corps and their shows. Yet, I kept hearing that the judges never said anything like that to them.

I talked to quite a number of judges about specific things I was told by the instructors and directors, and to a person, they told me that they were telling the corps exactly what they told me, but those complaining didn't want to hear what was being said.

I'm still picking arrows out of my butt from those two years.

Oh, I can tell you all you would want to know about that, as I'm the one who wrote it. Scoreline lasted for two seasons. We collected quotes from numerous judges after they judged the shows over the weekend and I then distilled those quotes, reporting on what the judges stated they were telling the instructors on their sheets and tapes. I then faxed in the copy to DCI and they transcribed it, set it in the news sheet form and then mailed it out first class.

A number of instructors and directors went ballistic over what was written about their corps. It was honest and frank. I didn't make anything up and if I was guilty of anything, it was toning down some of the frank comments the judges made about certain corps and their shows. Yet, I kept hearing that the judges never said anything like that to them.

I talked to quite a number of judges about specific things I was told by the instructors and directors, and to a person, they told me that they were telling the corps exactly what they told me, but those complaining didn't want to hear what was being said.

I'm still picking arrows out of my butt from those two years.

yup..people dont believe me when i tell them that...lol.....BUT I for 1 get why staff doesnt want comments out there, especially during a season as some would like...its like exposing your game face...people forget , its still a competition

Edited by GUARDLING

yup..people dont believe me when i tell them that...lol.....BUT I for 1 get why staff doesnt want comments out there, especially during a season as some would like...its like exposing your game face...people forget , its still a competition

If there is disconnect between what the judges want and what the audience expects from a champion how can that be resolved then?

If there is disconnect between what the judges want and what the audience expects from a champion how can that be resolved then?

audience will never get completely what they want or the winner they want,...never has never will....as far as expect? well.....I would EXPECT maybe totally different then you...then what? you can say majority? hmmmm now I feel I know the majority then so so you then what?....survey? Surveys never show an actual. Those have been done and surevys are only as goood as those who fill them out or care to.

there 's just so many things one can have

Edited by GUARDLING

audience will never get completely what they want or the winner they want,...never has never will....as far as expect? well.....I would EXPECT maybe totally different then you...then what? you can say majority? hmmmm now I feel I know the majority then so so you then what?....survey? Surveys never show an actual. Those have been done and surevys are only as goood as those who fill them out or care to.

there 's just so many things one can have

So nothing I guess.

So nothing I guess.

well you will never get a consensus on who should or shouldnt win...but a spectator should expect a winner to be the best at what THEY choose to do..a judge judges what someone does and how they do it...a judge doesnt judge if they like or dislike a theme, that's not their job. What is their job is how well its done and did they communicate it and how...now thats where the debate comes in..some believe that standing Os mean communication others see more than just that or not just that.

well you will never get a consensus on who should or shouldnt win...but a spectator should expect a winner to be the best at what THEY choose to do..a judge judges what someone does and how they do it...a judge doesnt judge if they like or dislike a theme, that's not their job. What is their job is how well its done and did they communicate it and how...now thats where the debate comes in..some believe that standing Os mean communication others see more than just that or not just that.

For me the debate starts on the judge analyzing what they do and how they do it. But that's just me. I had no problem with theme or music for what it was.

Edited by charlie1223