What does BDs’ victory really mean?

If there is disconnect between what the judges want and what the audience expects from a champion how can that be resolved then?

It can be resolved by the audience realizing that the champions are the best performers, not the most entertaining. Once the scores are based on the cheap thrills that band kids want to see, dci will be nothing more than good college marching band.

• Like 2

Once the scores are based on the cheap thrills that band kids want to see, dci will be nothing more than good college marching band.

Wait - now drum corps ISN'T marching band?

I've been saying that for years but people keep telling me it is.....

Edited by Grandpa
  • Like 1

So nothing I guess.

Correct. "Get over it" is the most common retort you see on DCP, although you'll occasionally see more arrogant things like comparing actual audience appeal <gasp> to "cheap thrills that band kids want to see".

There is a disconnect, everybody recognizes it, and you can even tell how it grinds on the nerves of those who don't like to see you complaining about it. There is one thing you can do, and you could always do. Let your money do the talking. Stop going to shows, stop buying merchandise.

• Like 2

Wait - now drum corps ISN'T marching band?

I've been saying that for years but people keep telling me it is.....

Ha! You should know by now - the facts 'evolve' and 'adapt' to satisfy the situation (argument) - can't let the conversation become fossilized. Innovative and creative, fast and ever changing positions to be the champion master debater! :tongue:

Oh, I forgot clean executions too.

Correct. "Get over it" is the most common retort you see on DCP, although you'll occasionally see more arrogant things like comparing actual audience appeal <gasp> to "cheap thrills that band kids want to see".

There is a disconnect, everybody recognizes it, and you can even tell how it grinds on the nerves of those who don't like to see you complaining about it. There is one thing you can do, and you could always do. Let your money do the talking. Stop going to shows, stop buying merchandise.

Interesting. Though I could never do that I love more than I dislike.

• Like 3

wow lots of red marks on this page ....must be a real hater..............lol

Ha! Yup, the wandering pile of used buttwipe with a red-neg fetish strikes again... :rock:

Yeearrg.

edit: removed as many red spots as I could; that is a horrifically easy-to-abuse feature.

Edited by JonW
  • Like 1