Why did that corps play THAT SHOW?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned more Crossmen shows... 2006... the radio section, 2007, symphonic metamorphosis, birdland, and first circle???

2009 was described to us as "Twilight, but not!"

2010 was a Pat Metheny funeral...

Basically the first years in Texas when they didn't have a brass arranger....

95 was just weird coming from them. It wasn't awful though. Wasn't amazing...

There have been times that I've strongly disliked a show, but then I watch it on DVD and all the sudden it seems brilliant, but there have been two recent shows that I've rather disliked. I'm selecting two corps I usually enjoy because I think you're biased against a show of a corps you don't care for in the first place.

2011 SCV--I found it dark and bizarre and since it was about a guy trying to get out of Hell, I suppose that's appropriate, but I felt like I was in Hell watching it. Even a rousing rendition of the "Bottle Dance" wouldn't have saved it for me. This year SCV blew me away. So, if you want to win your old fans back, do a show they'll hate one year and be totally different the next and you'll be a hero.

I was very disappointed with 2012 Blue Knights. I was also surprised I felt this way. I usually find Blue Knights to be a corps that could be both innovative and traditional, but this year didn't grab me. At Allentown I was shocked with their score and the fact they did well in Indy surprised me. I would have expected Blue Knights, not Blue Stars to be 13th. I felt there was more maneuvering than music and the maneuvering was not very compelling. For me, the moves didn't make sense and crowd response was tepid at best. I will say they had a great finale that gave a good final impression, but it left me with more questions than answers. I do congratulate them for improving enough to be in finals, but I wish it had been with a better show.

• Like 4

I was very disappointed with 2012 Blue Knights. I was also surprised I felt this way. I usually find Blue Knights to be a corps that could be both innovative and traditional, but this year didn't grab me. At Allentown I was shocked with their score and the fact they did well in Indy surprised me. I would have expected Blue Knights, not Blue Stars to be 13th. I felt there was more maneuvering than music and the maneuvering was not very compelling. For me, the moves didn't make sense and crowd response was tepid at best. I will say they had a great finale that gave a good final impression, but it left me with more questions than answers. I do congratulate them for improving enough to be in finals, but I wish it had been with a better show.

For me, the problem wasn't the design for BK 2012. Their hornline just didn't seem anywhere near where it was in 2011 in technique, entertainment, or tone quality.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 3

To Hades with anybody that criticizes Interstellar Suite. Musically speaking that show was awesome. Who could not love seeing nine(+4) bass drums on the field?

• Like 2

Cavaliers 1994 - the "rituals" show - I still don't know what that was

Phantom 2009

BD 2012 - I guess you loved it or you hated it.

Cadets 1999 - I can't get the taxi doors mental picture out of my mind

• Like 1

To Hades with anybody that criticizes Interstellar Suite. Musically speaking that show was awesome. Who could not love seeing nine(+4) bass drums on the field?

It was just odd for Spirit of Atlanta at that point in time.

The hornline was loud and strong for the young age of the corps. Mike Back's drumline rocked and were solid. Our marching was dirty due to our young age and constant drill changes. Our uniforms were literally falling apart after that second season of use.

The music is cool and Nine bass drums was amazing. Our cadence rocked.

Fanfare for the new. 87 BD. the rest of that show totally rocked. They just weren't feeling the opener at all! That drumline smoked everyone for the next 20 years! worthy.gif

Phantom 2009 - Jazz? In a Phantom show? Based on The Red Violin? After Spartacus? REALLY!?!?!

Surf 2010 - Something about arranging America the Beautiful for the field seems off (and disrespectful) to me...

Bluecoats 2011 - This show literally put me to sleep when I saw it live... Ironically I listen to it every now and then on my iPod now so it's not a total bust

Academy 2008 - After 2007, it just wasn't right

Boston 2012 - Sorry, I know a lot of people loved this show but I can't stand Pines of Rome in drum corps. At least not the way they did it. And the fact that they centered the whole thing around their guard guys was kind of dumb.

Cadets 2008 - The obvious one, needs to be on my list too.

• Like 2

Phantom 2009- Just a miss all over the place

Cadets 2004- Jethro Tull and drum corps just don't seem to ever fit

Cadets 1996- Cows and Western Music from a corps from Pennsylvania?

Cavies 1996- Maybe just because it followed the Planets, but it just seemed like such a mis-guided show

SCV 1995- Not The Nutcracker(also the last year of the Dr. Len era, thank god)

Crossmen 1995 and 2009- both shows no one could think of Crossmen doing

Madison 2002- Poor design, and just didn't seem like a Madison kind of show.

BD 2005- Yowza, that is all

Jersey Surf 2009- The Mozart effect. They always had such fun shows in Open Class, then decided they had to be serious to be in World Class?

Spirit of Atlanta- Petrouschka, not 100% sure on the year, 1986 maybe? It would be like BD doing Mahler and Shostakovich, just no where near the corps style

Phantom 2004- good music, but Phantom and latin music just never gelled well

Boston 2007- the Picasso show. First time I ever saw them live, really tried to scrub my brain of it. Not a well designed show to me, and not something I would associate with BAC

Blue Stars 2005- I know this was their last year in Div.2, but they did a video game show based on FInal Fantasy. Good music, just when you look at the next 7 years of Blue Stars, it's out there for them

Blue Knights 2009- a big departure for them, luckily they changed style the next year. (It's cold in Colorado, we know)

*boldly opens can of worms*

Cavies 2012 was my favorite show of theirs since "The Machine." There, I said it and I'm not taking it back.

Ignoring corps who I tend to not like on a yearly basis, the most 'questionable' show for me has to be "Rach Star"

The corps was fantastic... I just couldn't stand the show concept.

Let the hate commence... I'm sorry- just my opinions.

• Like 2