More Licensing Issues

Except there are entire shows and/or entire pieces of music within a show that are not being seen and heard, in addition to the short bits of sampled material.

understood,.............so then it seems more like a logistics problem,........getting out the products in a timely fashion makes getting the mechanical rights a process where the must be litterally scrambling, and accepting failure when the clock runs out,...........

• Like 1

I find this extremely frustrating. Not only are the added effects/samplings annoying to a good percentage of the fans, they have now created more issues with not even getting to hear/see some of the music/visual moments that we are buying the cds/dvds for.

And while I respect and appreciate all Michael Boo does for drum corps and fans, I disagree when he says he thinks DCI is being up front about everything. How many videos have been pulled from Thefannetwork, without any explanation on the DCI website, or Thefannetwork website? If DCI was being up front about everything, there should be a detailed explanation on both the DCI site, and Thefannetwork site as well. We pay a lot of money for this service, and to have much of the material we have paid good money to disappear without any explanation, is just plain wrong.

This definitely hurts not only DCI but a good number of corps as well. And if recall correctly, unless it has changed, I thought that every corps received some sort of monetary compensation for every DVD and CD set sold that included that corps. So that means some corps that are already struggling lose money because some people won't buy an incomplete finished product,

I also feel so bad for the kids who worked their butts off all summer long, who obviously didn't get to see their finished product on the field because they were marching it. Now parts of their show is missing, and they may never get to see it.

I definitely think DCI as a whole needs to get together and not allow sampling anymore, unless it is something performed by a member of the corps. I have thought that since they started allowing it. I have never understood in the first place, with the talent level most of the corps have today, why would they want to cover up any part of the show, with quotes that don't add anything positive to the show, and hide some of the amazingly talented performers? And while I understand Hopkins, and other directors have the right to do so, and it is within the rules, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to utilize 150 of the most talented musicians under the age of 22, and get them the love and recognition they deserve, instead of disappointing thousands of paying fans. And in the long run, disappointing members with an incomplete performance on their finals CDs and DVDs.

As for copyright issues on the musical pieces performed, I understand we don't know the entire situation for every single corps. And while I think it is pointless to blame people for something that has already happened, I think we need to start finding ways to make sure less incidences happen in the future. If it continues in the way it is heading now, in a few years, we'll receive a DVD with only 3 or 4 complete shows. Of course if finances keep going the way they seem to be, we may only have 8-12 corps left in a few years.

• Like 2

I find this extremely frustrating. Not only are the added effects/samplings annoying to a good percentage of the fans, they have now created more issues with not even getting to hear/see some of the music/visual moments that we are buying the cds/dvds for.

And while I respect and appreciate all Michael Boo does for drum corps and fans, I disagree when he says he thinks DCI is being up front about everything. How many videos have been pulled from Thefannetwork, without any explanation on the DCI website, or Thefannetwork website? If DCI was being up front about everything, there should be a detailed explanation on both the DCI site, and Thefannetwork site as well. We pay a lot of money for this service, and to have much of the material we have paid good money to disappear without any explanation, is just plain wrong.

This definitely hurts not only DCI but a good number of corps as well. And if recall correctly, unless it has changed, I thought that every corps received some sort of monetary compensation for every DVD and CD set sold that included that corps. So that means some corps that are already struggling lose money because some people won't buy an incomplete finished product,

I also feel so bad for the kids who worked their butts off all summer long, who obviously didn't get to see their finished product on the field because they were marching it. Now parts of their show is missing, and they may never get to see it.

I definitely think DCI as a whole needs to get together and not allow sampling anymore, unless it is something performed by a member of the corps. I have thought that since they started allowing it. I have never understood in the first place, with the talent level most of the corps have today, why would they want to cover up any part of the show, with quotes that don't add anything positive to the show, and hide some of the amazingly talented performers? And while I understand Hopkins, and other directors have the right to do so, and it is within the rules, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to utilize 150 of the most talented musicians under the age of 22, and get them the love and recognition they deserve, instead of disappointing thousands of paying fans. And in the long run, disappointing members with an incomplete performance on their finals CDs and DVDs.

As for copyright issues on the musical pieces performed, I understand we don't know the entire situation for every single corps. And while I think it is pointless to blame people for something that has already happened, I think we need to start finding ways to make sure less incidences happen in the future. If it continues in the way it is heading now, in a few years, we'll receive a DVD with only 3 or 4 complete shows. Of course if finances keep going the way they seem to be, we may only have 8-12 corps left in a few years.

This may be a "boon" for fan videos from live shows that appear elsewhere on the internets.

But I think this approach has already been tried by DCI, BOA, and WGI. They "asked for forgiveness" in the early to mid 2000s when this first became an issue. DCI, BOA, and WGI can no longer fly under the radar and these days, they must as for permission. I have a feeling they have used up all of their "get out of jail free" cards.

Yeah, and IP holders deserve to be compensated for their work. Still though -- preemptively declaring that something is not "fair use" (in the case of the samples) seems to be akin to telling the cops you did something bad even before they ask you any questions.

I watched the fan network videos of The Cadets and Spirit last night. One of the downloads that I planned on purchasing was 12.25 as a perfect fit for the holidays. Really disappointing to see (can't hear) the cut of great music of the aforementioned 30 seconds or so. What a shame for us fans - and mostly for the great performers who spent months of preparation to produce such a great show. Too bad they can't enjoy a full, unedited version of their work. Same goes for any other production that gets chopped.

On a little brighter note, I found the following video on youtube that may add a little levity to the topic. It's not great, but has a bit of topical humor (please, no minuses for me if you don't like it!)

• Like 1

But if that C&D comes, won't it be coming in the middle of the marching season when suddenly having to remove a design element from the mix would be much more problematic? Or, will it end up being as it is in this case--with them coming post-finals and the final product needing editing? Or, let's say that we slide by through the process without getting permission, make it through finals and produce the DVDs and related material...and after all that, the originator of the quoted material hears it and brings a suit. What sort of legal penalties and costs is DCI and the offending corps looking at for that? The "shh, don't tell anybody" approach just strikes me as unwise, and the easiest way to deal with it is to at least require samples to be original, if not to simply re-ban them.

• Like 2

This may be a "boon" for fan videos from live shows that appear elsewhere on the internets.

I agree completely. I currently use youtube downloader, and as soon as I see full shows online, I download them immediately to my computer. Sad thing is, sometimes these videos seem to be better quality than thefannetwork.org videos. Clearer pictures, better sound. I'd almost feel guilty downloading them, if my wife and I didn't spend so much money with all these corps during the summer. I still do purchase product every year for CDs and DVDs, And at least I usually end up with a complete set of shows at the end of the season for the corps that might have been edited in production.

Watching The Cavaliers at the moment, noticing that the preshow is significantly shorter, completely cutting out where everyone does that wave thingy. Any speculation on why that got cut?

Cavaliers had some Lady Gaga mixed into the pre-show.

I understand the whole licensing thing BUT.....Corps versions of songs aren't the exact rendition of the original AND Corps really don't make money by using that music. Now, when I played in a band in Rochester, NY, we (the band) did not have to pay ASCAP or other companies, as it was the responsibility of the bar or club. So, with that, why do DCI corps have to pay for the rights to pieces of music? Shouldn't it be the responsibilities of the show sponsor? Or DCI?