Spirit of Atlanta announces 2013 show

looks to kinda be the same as the past two years ish

• Like 3

Looks to be along the same vein as the last couple years. Can't wait! If they can have a chart that matches Luck Be A Lady from this year, I'm set.

Edited by Tyler C.
  • Like 3

This style of a show seems to be working for Spirit, and hopefully it will work for them again. It's also different enough that it won't be a copy though in fairness 2011 and 2012 were similar with the femme-fatale and last year's show girl. The audience loved both, so it worked to their advantage My hope for Spirit is that they are able to regain some of that late 70's horn magic which was their trademark. I heard glimpses of it last year in "Luck be a Lady" and the previous year in "Harlem Nocturne." I'd love a full court old Spirit sound next year.

So...it's a Roaring Twenties type show, eh?

Booze, Flappers, Zoot Suits and Swing.

Sounds good.

Maybe they'll use a 1920s set with chairs? That sounds like a brilliant idea!

Seriously, sounds like it should be a fun show that fits their current image.

• Like 1

This seems very cool, and very new Spirit! I am so excited they haven't decided to totally change directions as so many up and coming drum corps wrongfully do.

SMART! Yes, it seems somewhat connected to the past two years. Again I say, SMART! I applaud them for creating a new niche for themselves in 2011 and 2012 and not trying to be Cavies, or BD, or Phantom. We all complain on here that we want more variety and less generic copy cat drum corps. Seems the crowd has liked the direction they have gone and I for one think they have been super clever and calculating with their choices, and they have harkened back enough to their past that I feel the are old/new Spirit in the best of both ways. BD looks and sounds like BD and uses similar devices every year, as does PR, Crown, Cavies, SCV, etc. I hope to see and hear what they have lead me to expect from them. That opener and Luck be a Lady were definite winners last year.

My brain is of course thinking through all the possibilities for a show called Speakeasy. I for one think there is a lot they could do and with this concept. We all have also seen what can happen to recruiting once a new comer gets in finals and stays in. Best of luck Spirit. I look forward to what this concept will bring.

• Like 1