Carolina Crown 2013

I meant in the original recording of the song, you hear a man recite those same lines in that same...for lack of a better adjective...weird voice. I wish I could find the link. I think he was told to sound the way he sounds.

Here's the link with narration. :-)

hair-blown.jpg

lol!... hair raising, huh ?

Here's a better look at the purple bibbers and to the left, we see the DM version.

736740_10201039806373803_564459366_o.jpg

I wonder who took this! <grin>

Like BD's show last year....you can either understand it deeply or enjoy it at face value. I think if I came off the street, I'd be confused but I would still appreciate how good they are and how well they performed.

Jeff you are smart enough to do the background research, so you have no excuse now :)

smart enough and having the desire are two totally different ballgames.

I'm tired of researching for shows. I'd rather just go and be able to get it. if I wanted homework, I'd go back to school

• Like 2

That's patently untrue and has been untrue for a long time. A well-designed show has many, many layers, some of which of become obvious only with multiple viewing and/or prior knowledge. But none of that precludes designing a show which works at it's face value on the first viewing. Crown's show is such a design.

As for you having to work at it to "get it"...well .. that's par for the course colgate.gif

most people get one viewing live. if they have to peel the onion to really make their eyes water, after a while it gets old.

all jabs at my intelligence aside.

What you fail to see, and like the Blue Koolaiders you love to mock and others arent getting...it's turning fans off.

• Like 4

Antioch HS, 1900 Hobson Pike, Nashville TN

The full calendar is up on Crown's site.

Thanks much! I shoulda used the computer instead of the phone to search the site.

Hey guys, I found some videos on facebook (three to be exact) for those of us who missed out on the run-through video. These are of a bit higher quality (audibly at least).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200114804888201&set=vb.1092728103&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200117601518115&set=vb.1092728103&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200117636878999&set=vb.1092728103&type=2&theater

Hopefully more will be posted.

• Like 1

That's true and we must realize that some judges will see the show multiple times. The "oh, I never noticed or heard that visual/musical phrase before" keeps them engaged.

How thoughtful of them to design for that handful of people, then.

It is important to realize that, as Jeff Ream pointed out earlier, many fans will only see a show once. And some of them will not do research to understand the symbolism. Even some of us diehard fans prefer to enjoy drum corps at face value, and not make a research project out of it. At the same time, I have taken my turn responding when nearby people ask why the guard is dancing with kickballs while the corps plays The Planets. Most of my favorite drum corps moments have deeper symbolism attached to them... but all of them have spectacular effects from the brass and percussion.

I think the designers understand that good show design must provide effect at all layers, from visceral to intellectual. I think the judges do, too - just not 100% sure about that one.

Were the voice overs that necessary? Wirh a nice sound like that, why dilute that with a voice over. Sometimes less is a lot more.