Carolina Crown 2013

Crown 's repetoire, according to the newest edition of DCW magazine:

Also Spracht Zarthustra (2001 Space Odyssey 'theme')

Dark Side of the Moon - Lovatt Cooper

Einstein on the Beach - Phillip Glass [http://en.wikipedia....n_on_the_Beach] (which has spoken word for 5 characters and a 16 member SATB Chorus)

No mention of the show title; which was listed as E=mc2 on the Corps Reps 2013 page ...

Interesting too, as Crown heads West ... the LA Opera is "reviving" Einstein on the Beach for its' 2013 season ... interesting description and imagery link here: http://www.laopera.c...lance/Einstein/

2001 Space Odyssey: Hardly original and played by many - first on the drum corps field in 1969 and the latest being Boston Crusaders in 2008. The sound will be pretty amazing though.

Dark Side of the Moon - This should translate really well. I like what I hear on this one.

Einstein on the Beach: Have to admit that it's a strange piece IMO. I'll keep an open mind on that until I hear it from them.

Overall, wait and see. It's all about the arrangement, design, and execution. Until then, who knows? That's the beauty of drum corps!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 5

2001 Space Odyssey: Hardly original and played by many - first on the drum corps field in 1969 and the latest being Boston Crusaders in 2008. The sound will be pretty amazing though.

Dark Side of the Moon - This should translate really well. I like what I hear on this one.

Einstein on the Beach: Have to admit that it's a strange piece IMO. I'll keep an open mind on that until I hear it from them.

Overall, wait and see. It's all about the arrangement, design, and execution. Until then, who knows? That's the beauty of drum corps!

one of the smartest comments made

• Like 5

Regarding arrangement, I doubt it will disappoint in Crown fashion, based off the preview that was posted awhile back (since which I listen to enough to keep me anticipating but infrequently enough to keep the goosebumps frequent) and the arrangements of everything they've played the last few years being brilliant. But I'm naive and have much to learn, so we'll just wait and see

Maybe the years they could actually march & play decently... :ph34r:/>

There were plenty of years...

Great group! Loved VK!

• Like 3

Maybe the years they could actually march & play decently... :ph34r:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

Not me. I also enjoyed VK's comedic relief shows even when they were just ok in performance execution.... same as Jersey Surf from last season. I enjoyed Jersey Surf's show more than the DCI Titleist Blue Devils show, as a matter of fact. That said, I do agree with the judges that the Blue Devils were far more talented and performed their show much, much better, and deserved to be scored much, much higher than Jersey Surf. But execution in performance and show entertainment value are not the same thing at all. Well, at least they are not the same to me, anyway. I've gone to many a movie over the years where I thought the acting was superb in execution, skill. But the movie was still unappealing for me, despite the wonderfully skilled acting performances displayed in the movie. On the other hand, some movies can be incredibly enjoyable for me despite the clearly observable somewhat flawed abilities of its actors and actresses in it.

Now back to the Carolina Crown, 2013.....

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

You may not like this piece but I think you'll appreciate how Crown does it.

You are probably right. I have been in love with this corps since the season AFTER the unfortunate toga show of 2002. I don't think Zeus himself could have made that show work.

Edited by bluesman

I sincerely hope there are no space influences in their new uniforms.

And if they have chosen to do so, I sincerely hope they haven't gone this route:

Space Suits

Danger, Will Robinson! Unless, of course, that mellophone line wants to tackle the theme from Lost in Space as a warm-up. There are some great french horn licks in the original. Fits the theme and musicianship nicely.

Danger, Will Robinson! Unless, of course, that mellophone line wants to tackle the theme from Lost in Space as a warm-up. There are some great french horn licks in the original. Fits the theme and musicianship nicely.

I didn't post the link to the photo thinking about the theme. But now that you mention it, the theme from season 3 onward is the best. I had no idea it was written by John Williams. It would make a great post-show concert piece.

However, only 5% of the audience would remember the theme.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

new facebook posting with a "sketchy" (pun intended) image and the words "what if ... your support brought music and color to life"

a fundraising offer, but with the rumor mill reporting "dark unis" with colored accents and the usual preseason "foreplay" with Crown and the fans ... it might be a hint ... donate.