Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Went again last night- looks like the whole staff is there now

My goodness the music book is FUN.

Went again last night- looks like the whole staff is there now

Almost. Vis caption head is gone, and some of the brass stuff is out. But they're getting close to everyone, which is awesome. Having a full staff makes it so easy to get the show learned and cleaned when all hands are on deck.

So after listening to this show--I kind of get a 1990s feel to it. I really liked the 90s shows--sounded very different compared to today's more intricate shows. Even though I never watched any of the 90s shows live, I'm feeling a tad nostalgic about SCVs show!

• Like 1

So after listening to this show--I kind of get a 1990s feel to it. I really liked the 90s shows--sounded very different compared to today's more intricate shows. Even though I never watched any of the 90s shows live, I'm feeling a tad nostalgic about SCVs show!

That's a good thing. I always felt that if Gail hadn't gotten sick and retired after '92, a Les Mis show would have happened in either '93 or '94 for SCV. It would have followed their Broadway path of Phantom, Carmen, Miss Saigon, and Fiddler.

• Like 2

My only point is that it is very, very rare that a re-do exceeds the original. It just seems like lazy design to choose such ubiquitous music, when you know that it is constantly going to be compared to the "original." Do something new and awesome.

You are so right. SCV should have learned that lesson when they did Phantom of the Opera 2 years in a row....that second year retread was just atrocious... you know... that second year when they WON DCI with a retread???? [/sarcasm]

That's a good thing. I always felt that if Gail hadn't gotten sick and retired after '92, a Les Mis show would have happened in either '93 or '94 for SCV. It would have followed their Broadway path of Phantom, Carmen, Miss Saigon, and Fiddler.

Carmen on Broadway? I guess I missed that.

Carmen on Broadway? I guess I missed that.

You know well what I mean. SCV had a trend during Gail's tenure of using music from the stage, and then after his loss, that went away for a long time. It's good to see them back doing more shows based around theatre works.

• Like 2

They just announced that there is a new uniform. Then they showed a small part of it.

Will be premiered tomorrow night at their dress rehearsal.

According to Facebook: Anyone in the Fresno area is welcome to come to Sierra High School in Tollhouse Wednesday night from 7-10 for a dress rehearsal. Barring fires of course.