Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Ok the next sneak peek is of a gold epaulet!

No don't tell me they are going back to the 90's?

That would be pretty interesting actually. It seems that a lot of the other major players in DCI are going the "artsy-fartsy, we want to be different" way, including the uniform. SCV is going the more "classic" route with the show and possibly, the uniform.

Out-there Predictions:

1. The Gold Epaulet is only going to be part of one character in the show: Javert. In fact, I am going to take a guess that the major characters, Valjean, Eponine, Fantine, etc. will each be represented in an unique uniform/costume. After their deaths, they will "magically" change into corps/guard proper uniform and perhaps change again and reemerge at the end during "Do You Hear the People Sing?" in their original outfits.

2. Corps proper unis will be split into two a la Cadets 2011--perhaps to represent two distinct forces (the Students/Revolutionaries vs the military), or to be split into groups where: 1/3 wears white, 1/3 wears red, 1/3 wears blue OR 1/3 Red, 1/3 Black.

Weird predictions but it'd be interesting, to me, if they do something like the above.

That's a good thing. I always felt that if Gail hadn't gotten sick and retired after '92, a Les Mis show would have happened in either '93 or '94 for SCV. It would have followed their Broadway path of Phantom, Carmen, Miss Saigon, and Fiddler.

I'm pretty sure that once Cadets did Les Mis, it was off GR's list. I can say, however, that at the 1987 banquet, he said the 1988 show would be either Phantom or Les Mis. I sometimes wonder how things would have turned out differently if he had gone the other way. It's one of those "butterfly effect" moments. I think it would have been a no-brainer for Regiment to do Phantom in 1989, meaning that SCV might have gotten to New World Symphony before they did. And who knows what Cadets would have done?

I'm pretty sure that once Cadets did Les Mis, it was off GR's list. I can say, however, that at the 1987 banquet, he said the 1988 show would be either Phantom or Les Mis. I sometimes wonder how things would have turned out differently if he had gone the other way. It's one of those "butterfly effect" moments. I think it would have been a no-brainer for Regiment to do Phantom in 1989, meaning that SCV might have gotten to New World Symphony before they did. And who knows what Cadets would have done?

And how different drum corps history would have been for it. Wouldn't have minded seeing SCV tackle Les Mis under Gail, but at least they're getting to it now, and doing a very good job with it. Only two days until the first show, and the dress rehearsal/premiere is tonight

Regardless of where they ultimately place, I think this year will be a positive step forward for SCV.

• Like 2

Ok the next sneak peek is of a gold epaulet!

No don't tell me they are going back to the 90's?

Nope. SCV 2013 is definitely not a retro show. People are going to say that because it's also definitely not a "checklist" show, but those aren't the only two alternatives.

Incidentally, I know it irritates some DCPers, but It's nice to see that SCV's cone of silence is fully functional.

• Like 2

Nope. SCV 2013 is definitely not a retro show. People are going to say that because it's also definitely not a "checklist" show, but those aren't the only two alternatives.

Incidentally, I know it irritates some DCPers, but It's nice to see that SCV's cone of silence is fully functional.

I am LOVING your avatar! Is that a clue by any chance as to their colors this season in light of the show?

You mean this one??? :tongue:/>

1649d1311609924-cone-silence-cone-silence.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a photo from a recent practice:

IMG_1748.jpg

Going to the dress rehearsal tonight- doubtful I will take any photos because they are pretty serious about no audio/video...