Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Sounds like it'll be a big hit with fans this year. But inquiring minds will probably want to know if their Les Mis. theme for this year will be sufficiently weird enough and confusing enough to win with our current set of judges whose personal tastes in musical and visual performance, lets be frank, tends to gravitate more toward the odd and the eclectic ?

Who cares about the ####### judges!!!!

• Like 3

Who cares about the ####### judges!!!!

You do make a valid point. They essentially don't care about what audiences think either, so you're right, unless you're a marcher, a parent, on staff, or a recent age out of one of the corps, who gives a bleep what they think.

I only have two beefs with the show.

I love it, love it, love it. However, there are two spots that catch me the wrong way. It appears that the designers are not taking musical context and situational context into account. I don't want to spoil it since it isn't "live" yet but some phrasing issues are present where the text of the source material doesn't allow breaths. I know that could be a musical decision by the designers but anyone familiar with the music will notice it. It almost shows an arrogance by the staff. And there are parts in the end that are cheesy and unnecessary when taking into account what is being portrayed.

Once vanguard does it's first public performance I will be happy to go into detail. Until then I will happily discuss through a message.

That being said the show is perfect for SCV and I would love to see them medal with this show. They definitely have the hornline aspect down. I'm not a percussionist but they seem to be cooking as well.

Best of luck to the corps.

those transitions seem a little abrupt. and do you hear the people sing definitely needs more of a "moment"

but with that said...this show freaking rocks. and that drumline is killer already. wow.

It almost shows an arrogance by the staff. And there are parts in the end that are cheesy and unnecessary

Whenever in the past I have heard someone say on DCP that such and such is " cheesy " in a show, I know that theres a very good chance that I'm probably going to love it. So I'm personally encouraged by this early preseason observation with the show with SCV.

Edited by BRASSO

I can't find audio/video anywhere.

1371004256[/url]' post='3266580']

those transitions seem a little abrupt. and do you hear the people sing definitely needs more of a "moment"

Oh, that ending is almost certainly temporary. I imagine it will be completely rewritten by the time they get to Atlanta.

• Like 1

they admittedly do sound more like phantom regiment than they did last year, the percussion and brass parts are very reminiscent of when jd and paul were at regiment. (lots of awesome mello parts....percussion book reminds me a lot of the spartacus book)

that's a good thing...

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

I only have two beefs with the show.

I love it, love it, love it. However, there are two spots that catch me the wrong way. It appears that the designers are not taking musical context and situational context into account. I don't want to spoil it since it isn't "live" yet but some phrasing issues are present where the text of the source material doesn't allow breaths. I know that could be a musical decision by the designers but anyone familiar with the music will notice it. It almost shows an arrogance by the staff. And there are parts in the end that are cheesy and unnecessary when taking into account what is being portrayed.

Once vanguard does it's first public performance I will be happy to go into detail. Until then I will happily discuss through a message.

That being said the show is perfect for SCV and I would love to see them medal with this show. They definitely have the hornline aspect down. I'm not a percussionist but they seem to be cooking as well.

Best of luck to the corps.

I know what you are talking about. Especially at the end. But I would bet you a million bucks that won't be the ending come August. Hell probably not after the first week or so. But yeah.. there are a couple spots I wish they would just finish the phrase!!! Especially me being someone who has performed this musical before. Lol. But to make it work for brass sometimes you have to sacrifice stuff.. and Shaw also wants to take some liberties and do some arranging rather than just transcribing the musical for drum corps horn line.

they admittedly do sound more like phantom regiment than they did last year, the percussion and brass parts are very reminiscent of when jd and paul were at regiment. (lots of awesome mello parts)

that's a good thing...

Phantom should miss them...

I know it hasn't been the same over there.... might have gotten a medal last year... but it's still not the same. Not bad... just missing something for me...

Probably the mello parts, haha

• Like 3