Crossmen 2013

2013...obviously remains to be seen (However I would bet my bottom dollar narration of some kind with will be utilized). Looks to be good familiar musical choices (although a lot of them)

Was just kind of hoping 2013 would resemble the direction of 2011 more..... :(

Crossmen are good at not overusing their electronics. And if they do mic someone it is for affect. Their 2011 show didn't please the judges as much as it pleased the fans. And the 2012 show was just what the doctors ordered as a top 12 show. I can bet they will use whatever it takes to push forward into the top 8. I am so looking forward to being there on the 50 when it happens. Go Fred and Co.!!!

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 1

I have a feeling the screamers will be in the low brass section this year. Lots of low brass moments in the opener I bet.

Asst. Director Joe Banegas talks in depth about the 2013 Crossmen production 'Protest' in today's 2-part radio show. To listen click 36:19 1/24 for the first half and 22:25 1/24 for the 2nd half of the show.

http://www.spreaker.com/show/the_crossmen_show_aka_bones_hour

Edited by xbones7480

Renewal -

Episode:Prelude

* Ursa Major

* Spinning Wheel

* Hallelujah

* Back Home

A great jazzy/crossmen groovy show that was very well received (go listen to the recordings/dvd's) and gave us a sense that the Crossmen were Back and on a path with a lot less gimmicks (electronics)/concept and more straight forward drum corps.

2012.....jazz and groove disappearing a bit...more electronic/amps....

2013...obviously remains to be seen (However I would bet my bottom dollar narration of some kind with be utilized). Looks to be good familiar musical choices (although a lot of them)

Was just kind of hoping 2013 would resemble the direction of 2011 more..... :(

As someone else said, one big flaw in the 2011 show was its 17th placement.

My original observation wasn't about whether musical choices are "familiar". It was more about trying to repeat the past. What are your thoughts about the "Full Circle" show?

To be honest, my history with the Crossmen pre-dates their years as being known as the "jazz" corps. Also--to be honest--I wasn't following the corps as much in the late 80's and 90's as much as others. I saw the corps once a year at Allentown and there wasn't the internet means to follow corps any other way than attending shows in person.

It's 2013. As I survey the drum corps landscape, I see a place for a corps that's willing to bridge the familiar (e.g. something the crowd "gets") with the level of execution that the judges can appreciate. As a drum corp fan, I want that approach to succeed. I certainly don't want to have to wikipedia a show's concept (e.g. the Dada movement) to even understand what the show is about.

There's no need for that with "Protest". I get it already.

Asst. Director Joe Banegas talks in depth about the 2013 Crossmen production 'Protest' in today's 2-part radio show. To listen click 36:19 1/24 for the first half and 22:25 1/24 for the 2nd half of the show.

http://www.spreaker.com/show/the_crossmen_show_aka_bones_hour

That's incredibly informative. It answers a lot of questions that have been asked here.

Crossmen are good at not overusing their electronics. And if they do mic someone it is for affect. Their 2011 show didn't please the judges as much as it pleased the fans. And the 2012 show was just what the doctors ordered as a top 12 show. I can bet they will use whatever it takes to push forward into the top 8. I am so looking forward to being there on the 50 when it happens. Go Fred and Co.!!!

Honestly....isn't the most important part...and as a matter a fact looking back at the recaps, in GE repertoire they finished 17th....the same as their overall placement. So...no real judges message there that say's poor programming choices. I was on the 50 15 rows off field level during the Crossmen's final performance on Friday in 2011 and let me tell ya....they clicked and delivered and the crowd responded big time. I highly doubt any of those Crossmen members gave a hoot about finishing 17th. They did something that corps in their competitive cluster didn't...connected with the crowd. I will guarantee that's what they remember most. :smile:

• Like 2

As someone else said, one big flaw in the 2011 show was its 17th placement.

My original observation wasn't about whether musical choices are "familiar". It was more about trying to repeat the past. What are your thoughts about the "Full Circle" show?

To be honest, my history with the Crossmen pre-dates their years as being known as the "jazz" corps. Also--to be honest--I wasn't following the corps as much in the late 80's and 90's as much as others. I saw the corps once a year at Allentown and there wasn't the internet means to follow corps any other way than attending shows in person.

It's 2013. As I survey the drum corps landscape, I see a place for a corps that's willing to bridge the familiar (e.g. something the crowd "gets") with the level of execution that the judges can appreciate. As a drum corp fan, I want that approach to succeed. I certainly don't want to have to wikipedia a show's concept (e.g. the Dada movement) to even understand what the show is about.

There's no need for that with "Protest". I get it already.

Overall I like 2010 (full circle) but it seemed to lack some punch in the arrangements.

The Crossmen were known for quite sometime as a groove machine. They really carved out an identity for themselves. When the corps took a departure and revisited this style...people always responded. The Crossmen are not alone by any means but...I really miss corps having a recognizable style musically....especially when some corps had such a strong musical identity. I think there is plenty of music to experiment within a certain identity...that there should be no concern about feeling stuck in a rut programming wise.

Let's not forget....the groovy version of the Crossmen has been the most successful competitively

Just some random thoughts......

Some nice choices in this book. No doubt bones are continuing down the road they set off on in 2012.... bravo bones.