Drumline Battle and SoundSport

I'm not sure what I expect all of this will look like, but I do know what I hope will be the results.

Years back when corps were more local, many did have year round programs since the purpose was to keep kids off the streets. This is why winter guard started in the Boston area, perhaps in other areas as well. The horns and percussion units would perform concerts either in gyms or auditoriums and often "competed" against each other. This was slightly before my time, but it seemed to be a way that rival corps showed what was coming in the summer. It probably also served a practical purpose as well. Since the old bugles did not correspond to bands, it was likely that an instrument would have to be retaught the following year so kids involved in these groups helped them remember how to play and were more ready for the summer. I've long wanted to see small ensemble groups be included with WGI. I actually wanted four categoiries: guards, drum lines, horn ensembles, and small combined ensembles.

Now I'm not looking for a return to that style I mentioned earlier, but I do believe that if it's primarily a fall and winter activity, it could spur an interest in drum corps and bring a new audience to drum corps. The reality is that bands feed drum corps, but many kids in bands have never heard of drum corps and it's not open to woodwinds (and I'm not advocating woodwinds in drum corps) unless a young person is willing to learn a brass or percussion instrument. Having a group under the drum corps umbrella that can potentially spark an interest in drum corps is a good thing. They also have a great potential audience. Drum corps fans would flock to these shows.

As far as those who wonder if it will take away from drum corps, the Boston area had circuits that included bands (who were often adamant than drum corps that they were not "marching bands"), drill teams, and of course drum corps. All three groups shared instructors and though the rivalries were intense and there was a bit of one upmanship: drum corps believed they were all that, no matter how good or bad, bands did not see drum corps as musicians since at the time many corps did not teach its members to read music, and drill teams believed they were the only ones who knew how to march. But each group comepeted together in different categories and each supported the other's shows.

I'm not sure what I expect all of this will look like, but I do know what I hope will be the results.

Years back when corps were more local, many did have year round programs since the purpose was to keep kids off the streets. This is why winter guard started in the Boston area, perhaps in other areas as well. The horns and percussion units would perform concerts either in gyms or auditoriums and often "competed" against each other. This was slightly before my time, but it seemed to be a way that rival corps showed what was coming in the summer. It probably also served a practical purpose as well. Since the old bugles did not correspond to bands, it was likely that an instrument would have to be retaught the following year so kids involved in these groups helped them remember how to play and were more ready for the summer. I've long wanted to see small ensemble groups be included with WGI. I actually wanted four categoiries: guards, drum lines, horn ensembles, and small combined ensembles.

Now I'm not looking for a return to that style I mentioned earlier, but I do believe that if it's primarily a fall and winter activity, it could spur an interest in drum corps and bring a new audience to drum corps. The reality is that bands feed drum corps, but many kids in bands have never heard of drum corps and it's not open to woodwinds (and I'm not advocating woodwinds in drum corps) unless a young person is willing to learn a brass or percussion instrument. Having a group under the drum corps umbrella that can potentially spark an interest in drum corps is a good thing. They also have a great potential audience. Drum corps fans would flock to these shows.

As far as those who wonder if it will take away from drum corps, the Boston area had circuits that included bands (who were often adamant than drum corps that they were not "marching bands"), drill teams, and of course drum corps. All three groups shared instructors and though the rivalries were intense and there was a bit of one upmanship: drum corps believed they were all that, no matter how good or bad, bands did not see drum corps as musicians since at the time many corps did not teach its members to read music, and drill teams believed they were the only ones who knew how to march. But each group comepeted together in different categories and each supported the other's shows.

Was thinking of the small corps and ensemble contests I've been reading about in NanciDs DC history blog which coves ca 1962-1967.

Actually, "Kiltie Kapers" was far more than small corps, etc. event. It was more of a full blown variety show. One "Kapers" had a very popular vocalist (at that time) as a guest, Barbara McNair, just to name one from over the many years. If one googles Kiltie Kapers, there are quite a few sites, and newspaper articles about the ground breaking format.

this was the "big" announcement ...

Every announcement can't be about DCI sending its own Fan Network communications satellite into orbit. :tongue:

• Like 2

Actually, "Kiltie Kapers" was far more than small corps, etc. event. It was more of a full blown variety show. One "Kapers" had a very popular vocalist (at that time) as a guest, Barbara McNair, just to name one from over the many years. If one googles Kiltie Kapers, there are quite a few sites, and newspaper articles about the ground breaking format.

Sorry if I mislead you Bill, I wasn't referring to Kilite Kapers. But to be honest all I know about Kilite Kapers is in the book "Racine - Drum Corps Capital of the World". Yep have a copy of that and the Boys of 76 (19??-1946) on the cellar bookshelf. (Love my Barnes & Noble Christmas present gift cards.)

this was the "big" announcement ...

If you don't think this is a big announcement, then you must not understand what's being proposed here. Even if you aren't personally interested in these activities, it's still a huge move on the part of DCI and very possibly a critical strategic move for the long term health of the drum corps activity.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 4

SoundSport - DCA MiniCorps

great. given the amount of drama attached to that.......

I think you only need to worry about those people who spell "Bluecoats" as two words.

Let it go, Boo. Just let it go.