You know you're old school when...

When you realize you're the same age as the "cranks" who sat in the stands complaining about the direction of drum corps in the 70's and you say the same things about corps today and you find the old cranks had wisdom.

You turn on PBS around St. Patrick's Day (or any time they're trying to raise funds) and hear Celtic Thunder sing "Danny Boy" and think 27th did it better.

You hear a recording of Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians playing "Auld Lang Syne" but in your head you hear Kilties from the days you heard them live.

You watch a DVD of Madison in 1975 and you get a tear in yoru eye when they play "The Way We Were" and the rifles bow and remove their hats. A very close second would be watching an entire SCV show just to see the "Bottle Dance."

When you are asked about innovation in drum corps and the first corps that comes to mind is the Bridgemen.

When you talk about the Defenders, Bridgemen, Brassmen and Cardinals you say Holy Family Defenders, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, St. Rita's Brassmen and St. Mary's Cardinals, and if you're really Old School you may say Holy Name Cadets because that's how you remember them or MPB (Most Precious Blood) Crusaders and know they hail from the Hyde Park neighborhood of Boston.

I'm going to answer your question, and THEN I'm going to look it up and see if I'm right, because I don't really remember either.

I think "Buck" was the name of the company that sold the shoes.

Edited: Buck shoes! Suede uppers, rubber soles. The ultimate marching shoes! Remember how to "clean" them? You got this white roll-on paint that came out of a squeeze bottle with a fuzzy red ball on top?

And...they were cheap. cool.gif

41gihI-1hhL.jpg

Yes...that's exactly what they looked like! I never knew that. Thank you.

Don't know if this been covered already, but...

Seeing some members, whether on leave or just discharged from the military, march in a drum corps show wearing their military uniforms instead of corps uniforms, during the Vietnam War era.

• Like 1

And feeling really old when someone on DCP refers to 1995 as "back in the day." :tongue:

• Like 2

If you played it - you carried it.

.1 penalty for dropped equipment - 1.0 penalty if you picked it up.

.1 penalty for talking on the field.

Chicago Connection's A-Squad with the Tommy gun.

Edited by Jocko the Wonder Llama
  • Like 2

When you say you marched "Garfield"

You are not " old school " if you think that Blue Rock was a colored stone.

But you just MIGHT be " old school " if you know they had stones.

Edited by BRASSO

And feeling really old when someone on DCP refers to 1995 as "back in the day." :tongue:/>/>/>/>/>/>

You're not " old school " if you've ever gotten your latest Drum Corps scores from around the country in 7 seconds in your ' Net in the mall.

You are " old school " if you've ever gotten got your latest Drum Corps scores from around the Country in 7 days in your ' News in the mail.

Edited by BRASSO