You know you're old school when...

If you marched in the National Dream contest at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ. :thumbup:

• Like 3

If you marched in the National Dream contest at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ. :thumbup:/>/>

There are Drum Corps rifles.

And then there are " old school " Drum Corps rifles>

http://www.delasalle-drumcorps.com/galleries/e60s/60s4.html

Edited by BRASSO

For me;

1. When your highest toss was a double.

2. When a unison Flag, rifle, and saber or baton book was normal.

3. When you understood what right shoulder arms means.

4. When double flags was a GE necessity for a colorguard.

5. When your uniform, and that of the corps was the same, or exceptionally close,

6. When you knew how to mark time, do a toss, and all of the rifles land so close together it is one big "slap".

7. When you stood near a wall and threw tosses to keep your rifle flat.

8. When equipment changes mid field during a drum solo was the thing to do.

9. When you snap your turns and equipment so hard, you almost had to check in the hospital and be in traction for a month.

10. When you decorated your rifle with your corps uniform colors, or iridescent tape.

11. Oh, and let's not forget penny's on your strap (well before my time).

• Like 1

Watching the Mike Douglas Show and seeing Mike standing with Victor Borge dressed in a 27th Lancer uniform with the 27th Lancers behind them.

Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial pops on for the first time and you see a drum corps marching and a member grabs a leg. Oh and the real Harland Sanders was in the commercial too.

Color guards wearing "go go" boots and then many switch over to riding boots.

Peeing out the emergency door (back of the bus) because, "We can't stop, we have to get to Butler!"

White bucks and using White Foam to keep them white.

• Like 2

Or they used....

R V B

You are old school if:

your corps practice "field" was a parking lot behind a strip mall and under a highway overpass

you didn't march Madison, but several of the guys in your corps were also in your scouting troop just the same

you could name 20 active corps within a 2 hour drive of your house

there were horn players in your corps who couldn't read music, and made notes on their sheet music like 1, 12, 0 to show which valves to push

the notes they kept never showed a valve numbered 3, but might have had an R

You are really " Old School " if you remember a Drum Corps officially named : " The Thing ".

As in " The Thing... are you ready to take the field for Competition " ? ( DM acknowledges.. salutes ).

( announcer) : "Ladies and Gentlemen from Milwaukee, Wisconsin ( or some such )... The Thing !! "

.. and then passing by the stands at retreat the announcer says " Com'on gang ( fans in stands ), lets give it up for the Thing !! "

I was at one of their only 5 or 6 shows that summer! I think we all laughed until we cried at the announcement. Thing was (sorry for the bad pun, but I had to go there), they weren't too bad, just small.

Anyone ever have to watch the DM early in the season as he held the last note of what ever you had on the field out until the gun went off?

When Carmex was only available in the midwest?

Having marched in Schaumberg Guardsmen, the KFC commercial was either an embarrassment (the flute "player" added by some tv production idiot. She was actually a guard girl) or a point of pride. In 79, we still had boxes of KFC plactic forks and spoons.

Edited by Steve Knob

I was at one of their only 5 or 6 shows that summer! I think we all laughed until we cried at the announcement. Thing was (sorry for the bad pun, but I had to go there), they weren't too bad, just small.

Anyone ever have to watch the DM early in the season as he held the last note of what ever you had on the field out until the gun went off?

The Corps name was " The Thing ". I assume it must have been a merger of 2 or more Corps.

I would imagine the founders sat around one day and were dicussing the potential name for their new Corps, and maybe the conversation went like this :

First person : " Ok, so what should we call our new Corps " ?

Second person : " I don't know. Lets ask Joe. Joe what do you think of the thing " ?

Joe : ( pauses a few moments then replies ) " sounds ok to me "

So they all came to a quick agreement on the new name for their new Corps.

Edited by BRASSO