"Tour of Champions" 2013

Looking at last year, the placement order was the same at every TOC show except for Cadets and PR. Cumulative scoring based on that would be no more interesting.

correct,.............in fact, this system will help this supposed group of champions to pick and continually stomp down a loser for the entire season,.........good concept!

I suppose if this was something that you really should know, I imagine you would already know this, no?

Or, it could simply be that he hasn't asked the right people yet, not that he (or anyone) "shouldn't" know.

If DCI is going to be NASCAR, they'd better get used to being a lot more open about how the sausage is made.

The DCP-equivalent fans of NASCAR know the thread count of the bolts used in the intake manifold.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

Looking at last year, the placement order was the same at every TOC show except for Cadets and PR. Cumulative scoring based on that would be no more interesting.

Well yeah but I'm thinking the judges would be more willing to toss corps between spreads because of this system. Literally changing the way they judge a show. Obviously, likely not. But the directors and judges hopefully know that a system like that is only worth it if BD comes between 1st - 3rd.

Anyway, who really cares who owns what and how they do things as long as there is the opportunity to keep producing great shows.

All I can say is thank goodness the staff, directors and administrators that *I* have spoken to over the years have been far more friendly, welcoming and open with information than you wish DCI to be. If it's all the same, I'll keep supporting that version, thanks.

Mike

All I can say is thank goodness the staff, directors and administrators that *I* have spoken to over the years have been far more friendly, welcoming and open with information than you wish DCI to be. If it's all the same, I'll keep supporting that version, thanks.

Mike

ditto. Isn't interesting that in say 2009-2011, when DCI was at it's most open info wise, they had some of their better years?

Stu. I've been back in the US now for almost 2 weeks. During this time I've had a total of about 50 hours of face-to-face meetings with various corps directors, admin staff, creative staff, etc. from several drum corps across the entire geographic (9 flights in 2 weeks) and competitive spectrum. In fact, just got back from dinner with one of my favorite drill writers of all time.

Anyway, I have decided to get a bit more involved and do keep informed. It is not my place to discuss or distribute a number of details not made public, but I will speak up when people here are very far off track and get riled up about what are inaccurate assumptions.

Let's see, one flight each to seven corps, one to DCI headquarters, and one to the family home.

About right?

:tongue:/>

• Like 1

Well yeah but I'm thinking the judges would be more willing to toss corps between spreads because of this system. Literally changing the way they judge a show. Obviously, likely not. But the directors and judges hopefully know that a system like that is only worth it if BD comes between 1st - 3rd.

I take the last phrase with a grain of salt. But before that, are you serious in suggesting that judges will give different scores than they would have otherwise just because the show is also part of a NASCAR style cumulative point system? If so, they cannot both be correct, so would the sincere judging be with or without the NASCAR?

Or, it could simply be that he hasn't asked the right people yet, not that he (or anyone "shouldn't" know).

If DCI is going to be NASCAR, they'd better get used to being a lot more open about how the sausage is made.

The DCP-equivalent fans of NASCAR know the thread count of the bolts used in the intake manifold.

I used to be that kind of NASCAR fan. Now I'm that kind of drum corps fan, lol.

But I always liked how open NASCAR was. And they are mostly in tune with their fans.. and they are always morphing and changing to try and better the product.. even though they have failed quite a bit. The leaders of NASCAR were always open to interviews, and there is plenty of info out there on the series.

Granted things are a bit different. NASCAR has grown into a huge corporation thanks to securing major sponsorships and doing some crazy marketing. But they have also put effort into pleasing fans. Yes they have lost quite a few over the years, but the sport seams to be pretty strong still.

Part of what makes NASCAR so successful is that they haven't forgotten about the local scene. They have the national series, the regional series, and the local series. NASCAR is everywhere. Drum corps got away from this... and look at the good that has done for us.

I know, I know.. not many comparisons can be drawn between NASCAR and professional sports and drum corps. BUT you can look at them for ideas.

DCI should not be limited when looking at any ideas. The people leading the activity need to keep their minds open. And it would be nice if they opened up their minds to the fans and pasionate followers of this activity. Especially an activity that depends so much on the money of those fans. NASCAR has other means of revenue that have kept them afloat when revenue from fans has been down.

DCI doesn't have that wiggle room. But who says they can't secure a big name sponsor to really help things out? Have they tried? If they have... did they try hard enough? I think they could try to sell the series a little better. Marketing is not strong enough. It is getting better. But the product is still not visible enough.

Limiting things to seven corps isn't going to help the activity at becoming more visible AT ALL.