"Tour of Champions" 2013

That was in the original G7 proposal.

Ah, I had forgotten that. Apparently so had almost everyone else who's said over the past few weeks that comparisons between DCI and sports leagues are inappropriate.

So ... feeling out a way to make a season-long tour of 7 units competitively interesting?

NASCAR has "The Chase." Accumulate points based on finish placement throughout the "regular season" and then the top 10 (12, whatever it is anymore) in those standings, with a handful of races left in the season, reset points and duke it out collecting new points to win the championship (all the while, everyone else keeps competing in the same races with the "championship contenders").

There are hardly enough ToC events to do a Regular Points Season followed by a Chase.

So I am guessing they are talking about just creating a season long "points-based" champion. Wins are worth more points than 2nd. 2nd is more points than 3rd, etc. Could make for a better product at the beginning of the season. But seeing that it would be ToC only, I guess the product wont matter for points until July 11th.

Anyhow. Back to work.

Edited by mingusmonk

So the MiM shows are relegated to the ash heap, for now, and the TOC, under DCI's umbrella of sponsorship and brand, are now back in play. This is all good news to my ear.

Likely, the non-7 put their collective feet down and told the 7 that they couldn't play in DCI's sandbox (with it's premium, cat-free sand) if they continued to hold MiM in the wings and develop their own exit strategy using it.

And the 7 realized that producing an entire season's worth of shows is not something they can, or want to, tackle themselves.

If this is the "compromise" to save the marriage - even if it's for just another year - I say it's all good.

Even dysfunctional families grow old together and come to realize that family is important even if you can't pick who you get. That's good, too. And real.

One thought on the "new" programming for the TOC shows, specifically the mass encore.

Wasn't it the 7 who, several years ago, lobbied to do away with retreat and the mass performance? (Took to much time to rehearse, I remember hearing.)

And yet, that's part of the ad spin on the the "new" TOC concept?

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad it's there. But...

blink.gif/>

Edited by garfield

I'm just wondering if the "add on" scoring system that is now in play be will accessible and interesting to fans.

maybe having this kind of scoring system could offer wildly different places every week if the judges are willing to consider their score as only part of the overall score.

And I guess this could offer excitement in placement depending on what the spread of the points are for each placement.

If they make it too complicated, judges will have to start writing previous scores down on post-its to keep in their pockets during the show in order to keep up. :ph34r:/>

Mike

So long as they don't leave it behind, nobody'll ever know they are checking out other judges scores at shows.

Otherwise that info would show up on DCP, and THAT wouldn't be good for creating the right image they are trying to project with everyone, now would it ?

Says the guy who said to sell DCI to private investors because their rate of return isn't high enough?

You amaze me sometimes.

Mike

If DCI were to sell to private investors... drum corps fans should actually be excited about it. It would be greater stability, likely a broader reach, and more crossover opportunities with other activities.

Anyway, who really cares who owns what and how they do things as long as there is the opportunity to keep producing great shows.

*info in parentheses added for clarification.

Aside from "The 7" getting all the money, (and the DCI Corporation using DCI resources to promote, advertise, develop graphics, et al while receiving none of the revenue from the MiM/ToC shows) they are normal shows.

This is not accurate.

Prove it; what percentage gross revenue is DCI (the corporation) receiving from the ToC shows and what percentage gross revenue are the 7 corps receiving?

I suppose if this was something that you really should know, I imagine you would already know this, no?