Homosexuality in Drum Corps

Some have joked about co-ed showers. This begs a question: Why does the inherent logical reasoning applied to having separate showers for men/women (an inherent logical reasoning grounded within the visual nude aspects of sexuality) not apply to shower separation between gay/straight? It would seem to me that the 'visualization' issue would apply equally to both situations.

I believe that Guard Diva and some others have explained this quite well in recent posts.

Basically, showers aren't for sex, they're for getting clean.

Gay people are more likely to be desensitized to visual nudity, in a non-sexual environment, than their counterparts given that they have the same parts and they've been doing the showering thing their whole lives during gym, et cetera.

Same doesn't hold true for heterosexuals in this situation. Also, got to consider the social taboos and expectations, which are different.

Personally, I don't care...

• Like 1

Just too many years of Prevention of Sexual Harrassment training where the idea "it's how the OTHER person perceives it, not how YOU see it" beat into my head.

That gets into a WHOLE other realm.... I can only control ME...I CANNOT control how someone else perceives a situation. If I was referring to my friends new kitten when I said I liked playing with her kitty, a coworker could EASILY percieve my conversation as being sexual harrassment and file a grievance. And even though i did NOTHING wrong, the error is in how SHE perceived it. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Then I'll have a bottled water too, same deal as my brother in law.....

And as for jjeffeorys "why" and "action" idea I agree but if the "peekee" doesn't know the "why" them imagination can fill in the wrong idea. Especailly for people not used to being in situations like a corps shower.

I'd just try to not make a peek into a big deal. If it was something more, I'm sure there would be drama later and no imagination would be need for the drama. Having too much imagination without warrant could possibly be a downer too. I personally don't think there's time to waste energy like that when drill needs to be cleaned or music learned. thumbup.gif

Basically, showers aren't for sex, they're for getting clean.

Agreed; showers are not for 'sex'. But there is no denying that most humans are aroused by the visualization of other nude humans (gay, straight, male, female). That is the 'main' reason co-ed showers are not implemented.

Gay people are more likely to be desensitized to visual nudity, in a non-sexual environment, than their counterparts given that they have the same parts and they've been doing the showering thing their whole lives during gym, et cetera.

Same doesn't hold true for heterosexuals in this situation.

No offense jjeffeory, but this particular response by you is babble; and quite frankly, not true.

• Like 1

Agreed; showers are not for 'sex'. But there is no denying that most humans are aroused by the visualization of other nude humans (gay, straight, male, female). That is the 'main' reason co-ed showers are not implemented.

No offense jjeffeory, but this particular response by you is babble; and quite frankly, not true.

much could be said about your responses to many topics Stu...

And how come all these gay men aren't walking around the locker room aroused then?

Just seeing a naked body does not automatically mean AROUSAL... that is more babble than what jjeffeory said.

• Like 2

No offense, Stu, but maybe you're not as informed as you think you are.

Being aroused by nudity is as much a reaction to social taboos as it is a biological thing that is hardwired into every human being... If you see enough nude bodies, without it being in a sexual context ( as in drum corps), then it's not an issue ( you don't get aroused). Humans are aroused by many things.... ....and we have brains that we can choose to use when deciding on how to behave. Also, women react differently to nudity than men. ( http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr03/arousal.aspx)

I'll look for the study that I read on this topic in Grad School that specifically supports my assertion ( I may still have access to the Scholarly Library)

We differ in opinions, but rest assured, my claims aren't just idle babble and they've been substantiated at least a bit by research. rock.gif

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3

That gets into a WHOLE other realm.... I can only control ME...I CANNOT control how someone else perceives a situation. If I was referring to my friends new kitten when I said I liked playing with her kitty, a coworker could EASILY percieve my conversation as being sexual harrassment and file a grievance. And even though i did NOTHING wrong, the error is in how SHE perceived it. The whole thing is ridiculous.

LOL - love the example.... And heaven forbid if the offended person is one who never thinks they make a mistake. Have seen real harrassment where I'm at and some stuff not even close but a case made out of it. Just wanna yell "When you both grow up let me know".

Irony is the most off color stuff I get is from a female co-worker who dresses like a prude at times. Thank goodness she sends it to the house as my wife and I both get a laugh. But if anyone ever saw it at work, we'd both be in for a talk.

ON TOPIC ALERT..... some of what used to be said (and sung) BITD in my old corps could get you kicked out today in nothing flat.... a little knowledge and Internet discussion goes a long way. One of the reasons why this 50+ year old who never did Jr corps is enjoying this thread. Honestly when I grew up in the 60s/early 70s we didn't think that much about it as.... well... there can't be THAT many homosexuals around..... :doh:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Wait a sec!! There's homosexuals in drum corps!?! No way!! Where? When?! How??!!

What a non-subject. Tl;dr. But if any of you did complain about people's sexual preference and having to march with them, remember how foolish you're going to look in 10-15 years. Remember the sentiment "Girls in the hornline? What's drum corps coming too?"

For everyone bursting in and saying things to the sentiment of "gays in drum corps. Of course. There's no reason to even have the discussion" please READ the thread. It's not even truly about there being gay people in drum corps. But more, how it's handled in drum corps, how it got to this terrific level and how it appears the activity is ahead of sports and maybe even society.