Homosexuality in Drum Corps

Like straight men have never looked at another straight man in the shower...or straight woman never looked at another nude- not necessarily in a sexual context.....but I know (straight)guys in high school who got their nicknames from (straight guys) the locker room---and it was not because no one was looking :-)

Thank you...me sentiments EXACTLY

Personally I don't have that assumption that a homosexual wants to jump me (not sure if that's what you meant) but agree with everything down to the :-). Back in the 70s if a guy was looking it was usally thought he was comparing himself with others (lack of ego or too much ego). Now that we know there is a higher percentage of homosexuals than before, if it's a total stranger looking you're just not sure.

Does it matter? IF you are being "checked out", if I understand from your reasoning, then your "personal space" is being vioalted by his "peeking." Are you going to question him about WHY he's looking? and are you then going to demand to know his reasoning so you know how to respond accordingly? You are basing your reactions on your perceptions. unless he gives you reason to think otherwise (looking at your junk while licking his lips and making suggestive comments/motions, which is an entire different issue) why not just CONTINUE to ASSUME he's comparing because of his ego? Wouldn't that solve the issue?

• Like 1

Based on the responses to this thread, I would venture to say that drum corps is probably a bit more gay-friendly but not much more informed than the sports community.

than the world in general

Does it matter? IF you are being "checked out", if I understand from your reasoning, then your "personal space" is being vioalted by his "peeking." Are you going to question him about WHY he's looking? and are you then going to demand to know his reasoning so you know how to respond accordingly? You are basing your reactions on your perceptions. unless he gives you reason to think otherwise (looking at your junk while licking his lips and making suggestive comments/motions, which is an entire different issue) why not just CONTINUE to ASSUME he's comparing because of his ego? Wouldn't that solve the issue?

Guess I did post in confusing ways. If it happened to me and I knew the guy (say corps mate) I'd probably just say "Yo" to get his eyes to go to my face. But I can imagine some people might have more of a problem and that's who I was thinking of when I posted. I was thinking in general ways/other people and not "this is what I think". Just too many years of Prevention of Sexual Harrassment training where the idea "it's how the OTHER person perceives it, not how YOU see it" beat into my head. The way I look the guy would feel a LOT better about himself if he was scoping me out....

Oh man... how about "my eyes are up here" instead of "yo"... :rolleyes:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

For what its worth I don't think ANYONE on this thread has been offensive, even just a little.

I talked about George Hopkins naked for goodness sake!

I was offended by the image of a naked Hoppy that you gave me... does that count?

• Like 2

Some have joked about co-ed showers. This begs a question: Why does the inherent logical reasoning applied to having separate showers for men/women (an inherent logical reasoning grounded within the visual nude aspects of sexuality) not apply to shower separation between gay/straight? It would seem to me that the 'visualization' issue would apply equally to both situations.

Guess I did post in confusing ways. If it happened to me and I knew the guy (say corps mate) I'd probably just say "Yo" to get his eyes to go to my face. But I can imagine some people might have more of a problem and that's who I was thinking of when I posted. I was thinking in general ways/other people and not "this is what I think". The way I look the guy would feel a LOT better about himself if he was scoping me out....

Oh man... how about "my eyes are up here" instead of "yo"... rolleyes.gif

It's a complicated issue.

For me the "why" and the action of the "peek" are two separate things.

I believe that we're humans; we're curious. We're probably going to peek at other humans regardless of their sex... It's once of the ways that we learn and navigate the world. Frankly, people are going to peek at naked bodies a LOT, especially when it's not the way we normally see bodies. The "why" of the peek happens for many varied reasons, and that's where people can have hangups and problems. Some people would be okay with being seen naked as long as it is NOT for sexual attraction. Other people don't care, because nothing's going to happen; ie - it doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, I believe drumcorps are ahead of the curve.

I have to be honest....some of the best laughs have ben in a drum corps shower with men of all kinds and sexual orientation in there. Why?

guys being guys, saying #### that guys say, and no one was worried about the size of someone else's stuff. we had fun, we busted on people and other corps, and then we went and got dressed.

that anyone is really concerned about it is staggering.

• Like 2

I think my sponsor would have an issue with that... but a bottled water is coo!

Then I'll have a bottled water too, same deal as my brother in law.....

And as for jjefforys "why" and "action" idea I agree but if the "peekee" doesn't know the "why" them imagination can fill in the wrong idea. Especailly for people not used to being in situations like a corps shower.