Have drum corps evolved into bands?

Truth. History repeats itself when it comes to stuff like this...

Oh Hell it ain't been Drum Corps since 1975... at least that's when I heard it.... :cool:

<bleepin'> tinktink marching bells.... :tongue:

• Like 1

1972....there were thousands of tee shirts that said so..lol rolleyes.gif

1967. smile.gif

It was a great year!! :tongue:

So what is so wrong with a band? Ya'll got something against saxophones? Drum corps is an outstanding activity. It is outstanding now and was equally outstanding BITD. And sure, it is different today than it was then, but how many '75 Chevys are still on the road? And a Bb line can be every bit as loud as G....AND it just sounds better! And unless one has perfect pitch, going from one keyed trumpet to another is as simple as putting the horn to your lips and blowing.

So what is so wrong with a band? Ya'll got something against saxophones? Drum corps is an outstanding activity. It is outstanding now and was equally outstanding BITD. And sure, it is different today than it was then, but how many '75 Chevys are still on the road? And a Bb line can be every bit as loud as G....AND it just sounds better! And unless one has perfect pitch, going from one keyed trumpet to another is as simple as putting the horn to your lips and blowing.

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow."

From To Have And Have Not

:tongue:

• Like 1

Sorry, but Drum Corps have always been bands. It would be like asking "have Corvettes become cars?" It may be a specialized kind of car, but it's still a car. Drum Corps are specialized marching bands. Nothing more, nothing less, and it has nothing to do with Bb or G horns. I marched my entire career, Top 5 and all, on Gs, and I love them. But that's not a defining characteristic of what drum corps is. Long before the first all Bb line, there were non-G instruments used on the field.

Also, in 2000 we did a parade. Staff teased us before the parade about "there's a first place prize, yadda yadda, make sure you perform well to win it, yadda yadda..." it was a big joke. After the parade, they showed us our "official" scoresheet where we were DQ'ed and 'another' band had won. On our DQ'ed scoresheet, in big letters, the judge had written "NO SAXAPHONES" (sic).

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 2

Going from one keyed trumpet to another is as simple as putting the horn to your lips and blowing.

Meh... you're really going from one keyed trumpet to another AND from a cylindrical-bore instrument to a conical-bore one at the same time. There are fairly distinctive differences to the player when you only make one of those moves... to make two of them at the same time is quite drastic. Especially given the strange intonation tendencies of the G axes (compared to the Bbs)... but a lot of Bb players say much the same thing when they switch to Cs or Ebs... so...

Meh... you're really going from one keyed trumpet to another AND from a cylindrical-bore instrument to a conical-bore one at the same time. There are fairly distinctive differences to the player when you only make one of those moves... to make two of them at the same time is quite drastic. Especially given the strange intonation tendencies of the G axes (compared to the Bbs)... but a lot of Bb players say much the same thing when they switch to Cs or Ebs... so...

I double from a saxophone to a clarinet then to a flute...sometimes in the same piece, with no issues. So playing on a G trumpet or Bb trumpet I would think would not deter most any experienced, capable brass player.