Warrensburg, MO TOC Smackdown!

do I like drum corps? yes. Do i like some of the stuff drum corps is doing....not so much.

as i said, I guess i'll need to see some of them live...that may change my mind.

well no, if Crown's perc staff keeps their heads buried like last year and don't fix obvious issues, i'll still say the percussion is killing them

One of the head guys at Crown's battery was our indoor instructor this year. He was a really cool guy and let me say he really knew what he was talking about. Crown's percussion is more ticks than it is the staff imo.

One of the head guys at Crown's battery was our indoor instructor this year. He was a really cool guy and let me say he really knew what he was talking about. Crown's percussion is more ticks than it is the staff imo.

Aren't ticks errors in technique and approach? And don't staff members teach technique and approach and how to be consistent?

• Like 1

My thoughts after watching in HQ on a 55" TV:

First of all, the sound on the DCI Fan Network webcasts is terrible...& why cant they directly feed the announcer into the broadcast rather than just picking him up with the field microphones? The entire sound package is lousy.

Anyway, here goes...

Bluecoats...I enjoyed the music & show. Liked the America theme. The uniforms not so much.

BD.....This is the most dour, dark & depressing music I have ever heard performed on a football field. Music to kill yourself too. Horrible. I don't know who comes up with the uniform ideas for BD, but they should be fired. They look like a complete mess.

Cavies....I cant believe they were so close to Bluecoats. This show didn't do much for me.

Phantom...Just alright. No wow moments.

Crown...Uniforms are awful & the shakos are worse. Show is ok but for God sakes, pull the plug on the annoying narration. It really detracts from the show.

Cadets...I love Garfield for sticking with their original & traditional uniform, but this show was just ok for me.

SCV...My favorite show of the night. Traditional music with melody. I have no idea why they did what they did with their uniform. I miss the green.

I hope the bottom 5 have great shows because the top 7 TOC Drum Corp shows were almost all disappointing to me. This might be my least favorite year.

I really really miss diversity in Drum Corps. I miss not hearing Jazz & Spanish music. Enough with the symphonic classical music already. Everyone sounds the same. Same old same old.

Lastly, why in the heck does everyone wear tight spandex pants that feature every male corps members package? It really looks silly & ridiculous.

• Like 8

FlamMan, I almost gave you a minus because I totally disagree with everything you said...but then I thought about all the minuses I've received for just speaking my mind here...and I gave you a plus, instead.

Keep on speaking your mind, eh?

• Like 1

My thoughts after watching in HQ on a 55" TV:

First of all, the sound on the DCI Fan Network webcasts is terrible...& why cant they directly feed the announcer into the broadcast rather than just picking him up with the field microphones? The entire sound package is lousy.

Anyway, here goes...

Bluecoats...I enjoyed the music & show. Liked the America theme. The uniforms not so much.

BD.....This is the most dour, dark & depressing music I have ever heard performed on a football field. Music to kill yourself too. Horrible. I don't know who comes up with the uniform ideas for BD, but they should be fired. They look like a complete mess.

Cavies....I cant believe they were so close to Bluecoats. This show didn't do much for me.

Phantom...Just alright. No wow moments.

Crown...Uniforms are awful & the shakos are worse. Show is ok but for God sakes, pull the plug on the annoying narration. It really detracts from the show.

Cadets...I love Garfield for sticking with their original & traditional uniform, but this show was just ok for me.

SCV...My favorite show of the night. Traditional music with melody. I have no idea why they did what they did with their uniform. I miss the green.

I hope the bottom 5 have great shows because the top 7 TOC Drum Corp shows were almost all disappointing to me. This might be my least favorite year.

I really really miss diversity in Drum Corps. I miss not hearing Jazz & Spanish music. Enough with the symphonic classical music already. Everyone sounds the same. Same old same old.

Lastly, why in the heck does everyone wear tight spandex pants that feature every male corps members package? It really looks silly & ridiculous.

Whew. Wow. Somebody really doesn't like where DCI is going. I understand your points, but am surprised you think the season is this bad.

Have to agree with you on the last comment too. When I was watching Crown's show on FN I thought maybe there was some kind of "I dare you to go commando" thing going on in the corps.

What a great night and a great show, and even better because I was there in the stands! I wasn't disappointed. Hard to point a lot things...I agree with pretty much all the scores. I noticed a few people commenting on scores being kinda stagnant at the moment, well not anymore, big jumps tonight for Crown and Cavies. The Cadets were great they were my number two.......however there were a few tiny mistakes, and tiny mistakes will add up. Once they get a bit more together Crown and BD better watch out....I'm still for Crown though. Bluecoats looking really sharp in those new uniforms! Cavies did quite a few neat things......they may not be were they were a couple years ago but they are still have a lot of power. I didn't like the BDs' show....it was clean and well executed, it just wasn't the sound I wanted to hear, too many dissonant chords...but still good. Phantom is good to.....but wasn't as interesting powerful as last year....Dean Patterson knows what he's doing....he may not extend his arms very far when conducting, but is still so precise and as soon as gets on that podium he's all business and has such a professional attitude that other drum majors do not possess. Crown....., the narration is no longer annoy an issue for me, I never even really noticed it because I was too focused on that amazing brass sound.SCV was awesome, crowd loved it. i took my cousin in her wheelchair to watch the practice......it blew her away....want to watch Crown but they at the other BSHS.....they should have posted which one they going to practise at...a o well

great job all around!

Ahh yes.......one of many advantages of donning the kilt, no tight spandex and having the enjoyment (if one so chooses) of lettin' "the boys" sway among the breeze (aka "goin' true")

• Like 2

FlamMan....I think I agree with you on most if no all of your review

I use to be one of DCI's biggest fans in the 90's and early 2000's but it's been really going the wrong direction for me the past few years

peel my face off, give me wow moments, and get me out of my seat multiple times a show.... don't give me something that returns a golf clap with a side of question marks

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 4

Really? Now we've exhausted all resources talking about the talent so we must now comment on who's junk shows more? It must be difficult having to search for things to complain about all the time. I bet people really enjoy hanging around you bitter folks - because you sure sound like a lot of fun to me.

• Like 3

Are you telling me 'M Judge' isn't a real person? :omg:/>

I think the first name is "Missing".

• Like 1