In my inbox this afternoon:

Greetings ..

Just a thank you for your recent generosity to the Cadets.

As you know, we are in Louisiana today, rehearsing at Cajun Stadium, and we are appearing in Ocean Springs tomorrow.

We are thrilled to be here … I chose the tour, and I am well aware of our connection to many in the South.

I am sorry about the uproar from the newspaper article.

My FB post, that led to all, was a bit of a desperate cry for housing assistance. We had two locations without the fields we needed to work, and we were running out of time. I love the South!!!! One of the most fabulous relationships if my life was with a woman from the South and who knows, I may retire here one day.

My concern was the housing and the fields … not the people.

With that said, I appreciate you and your kindness and i hope you get out to one of the shows coming up.

All the best

Hop

George J Hopkins

CEO- Youth Education in the Arts

I think he would have been better off posting that on Facebook.....WELLLLLLLLLL, maybe not. Some people here hate the guy no matter what, so that probably wouldn't matter anyway. You wasted bandwidth posting this here.

• Like 2

Umm, yes, I'm serious.

Correct my understanding, please.

Promptly after the initial comment blew up the Cadets FB Hop posted an apology on The Cadets Facebook lamenting the reaction of his initial post and apologizing to "the south". He explained how he loves the south and the people who live in the south and distinguishing that sentiment from the corps need for a more adequate facility.

Promptly after the initial comment blew up the Cadets FB Hop posted an apology on The Cadets Facebook lamenting the reaction of his initial post and apologizing to "the south". He explained how he loves the south and the people who live in the south and distinguishing that sentiment from the corps need for a more adequate facility.

He actually apologized TWICE on his facebook page for those initial comments, but hey, why should that stop a good witch hunt?

• Like 2

So, he should take out a full page ad in USA Today? Anyone insulted by that post just either needs to get a life or get something real to be offended by. As a life long southerner it doesn't bother me a bit.

Doesn't matter what *you* think. It matters what the effect was on the folks who DCI relies on for housing and rehearsal space.

• Like 1

He didn't really apologize. He just reiterated that he'd had problems in the south, and yes, lamented the *reaction* but not owning up to his responsibility for it. That "apology" is also no longer on the Cadets FB page, thank goodness. His apology to the corps members is up there...

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

So, he should take out a full page ad in USA Today? Anyone insulted by that post just either needs to get a life or get something real to be offended by. As a life long southerner it doesn't bother me a bit.

As someone born and raised in the South, and having lived outside of it for almost my entire adult life, I think I am correct when I say this: When it comes to perceived slights no one gets more butthurt than the South.

• Like 4

He didn't really apologize. He just reiterated that he'd had problems in the south, and yes, lamented the *reaction* but not owning up to his responsibility for it. That "apology" is also no longer on the Cadets FB page, thank goodness. His apology to the corps members is up there...

he did apologize - you've just chosen to not accept it or whatever. You also seem intent on posting over an over the same basic thing "this may/will damage future housing possibilities for drum corps" -- which we get. You've made this point what seems like 50 times now.

So - he apologized. You just either don't like the apology or don't want to accept it. He also apologized to his members, and his donors

And please, I don't want to hear about why you don't like the apology or why you don't think it is a sincere or "complete" apology.

It is what it is at this point - which in my view - is TIME TO MOVE ON

Totally get your concern though - I do. It's tough to line up good housing,

George.

The South is NOT PLEASED with me .

Hey all .. sorry, If I was a bit pointed in my generic evaluation of Southern Housing Sites.

Indeed, we have two shows this year across the Gulf and they both are a problem. In the past we have had problems and it is indeed, why I do not venture that way all too often

I love the South ...I love many people in the South ...

but we have struggled over the years for housing and stadiums in which to do our work.

Of course, the Northeast can be tough and the Midwest can be a challenge. What's good ??? Texas ... for sure, the middle of the country usually, parts of the Southeast and many other areas.

Look ... this was our fault. We should have had better communication with the sponsors. But nonetheless, I am writing, as I do here, about the struggles of a not for profit.

So ...

Louisiana is helping us as we speak and alumni from Mississippi are at the phone making calls.

So ..

thanks for the love. I m sorry if I upset.

Hop

• Like 2

Like the South doesn't constantly ##### about the North. The South will rise again etc. This has been going on since the country began. Some of us prefer Boston, NYC and San Francisco and some of us prefer Jackson, Baton Rouge and Montgomery. Celebrate the DIVERSITY

Get over it and move on.

• Like 5

he did apologize - you've just chosen to not accept it or whatever. You also seem intent on posting over an over the same basic thing "this may/will damage future housing possibilities for drum corps" -- which we get. You've made this point what seems like 50 times now.

So - he apologized. You just either don't like the apology or don't want to accept it. He also apologized to his members, and his donors

And please, I don't want to hear about why you don't like the apology or why you don't think it is a sincere or "complete" apology.

It is what it is at this point - which in my view - is TIME TO MOVE ON

Totally get your concern though - I do. It's tough to line up good housing,

George.

He also posted this on his facebook page (and twitter) on Saturday:

I apologize for comments re: housing in Miss. My concern for our housing elevated Concerns We are excited 4 Our 3 days in the Deep South