Abuse Vs Teaching

18 hours and nobody is dropping corp names or committing slander against named staff members.

Is everyone feeling ok today? A day of rest or something?

I think you meant libel, which is written. Slander is verbal.

It also doesn't matter, as the ###hat I'm thinking of (and unfortunately marched under) was eventually bounced out of drum corps.

18 hours and nobody is dropping corp names or committing slander against named staff members.

I think you meant "libel", which is written. "Slander" is verbal.

I think you meant "oral", which is to say, "spoken". "Verbal" just means that words (spoken or written) are being used.

• Like 1

I have found a "checkbook" approach to leadership has proven most effective over time. Only so many withdrawals (going Marine Corps) are possible unless deposits in the leadership bank (positive reinforcement) are made. Excessive deposits also lose their value if no withdrawals are made. Both are tools within the leader's toolbox which must be employed to help a corps learn to propel it forward. I've seen leaders go off the hook and would make one's jaws drop. But those same leaders would cut their arms off for their charges and they almost always got the same sentiment in return. Most of the time, their displays were met with 149 "thank you for addressing that slug"s under their breath

• Like 1

I think you meant libel, which is written. Slander is verbal.

It also doesn't matter, as the ###hat I'm thinking of (and unfortunately marched under) was eventually bounced out of drum corps.

Isn't it the other way around? Libel being spoken and slander being written?

I hate to admit this but I am part of a generation of wimps. Grow a pair and take ridicule and correction and keep your mouth shut and do the punishment and most of all..learn from your mistakes. Stop complaining and do what you're suppose to, when your suppose to.

I have found a "checkbook" approach to leadership has proven most effective over time. Only so many withdrawals (going Marine Corps) are possible unless deposits in the leadership bank (positive reinforcement) are made. Excessive deposits also lose their value if no withdrawals are made. Both are tools within the leader's toolbox which must be employed to help a corps learn to propel it forward. I've seen leaders go off the hook and would make one's jaws drop. But those same leaders would cut their arms off for their charges and they almost always got the same sentiment in return. Most of the time, their displays were met with 149 "thank you for addressing that slug"s under their breath

This, exactly!! :thumbup:

Edited by Cathie Wiener

]

Why? Was it hotter in Texas in 1971 than it is nowadays?

Fred O.

I'm sorry, I thought the fact that we no longer have kids in black wool uniforms marching in 135 temps ( on astro turf ) was understood.

When is the last time there were outdoor prelims in the mid afternoon in the SOUTH ? Jackson ? B'ham ?

• Like 1

All of these things sound VERY old-school to me. Like they happened in the 70's or something. I can't imagine any corps staff letting these happen nowadays. They know that the body needs water and food in order to function, and that a strong body performs well, a weak body performs poorly. Can you clarify when you observed these things?

I've heard rumors of the occasional issue of things along what he quoted, but rarely