ABBBD years 79-81

Then the:

OGPSTGC years ( Oh God Please Stop The Garfield Cadets) 83-86

Then The Third:

ABBBD years 86-88

Then the:

SPBTCTY years (Somebody Please Beat The Cavaliers This Year) 01-03

Which also coincided with the:

CDCATAOE Years( Cadets, Devils and Cavaliers or Cadeviliers are the axis of Evil) 99-07

So this so called Any body but the Blue Devils thing is no big deal.tongue.gif

• Like 6

Wasn't there, but I don't know what's more sad in that video..the reaction to the second place score, or the half empty stands for retreat. Was attendance down this year?

Boxingfred, good post above, but you forgot about the mini reign of Star of Indiana. Their money really scared everyone.

Edited by ordsw24
  • Like 1

From my stand point, the BD origination knows has what it takes to win. Instead of thinking inside the box they step far away from. Year in and year out, they always surprise us or just me by doing something unimaginable. Of course we all have our own opinions but sometimes it better to keep them to ourselves. If you have a problem with BD winning, call your favorite corps organization and give them some ideas. When BD performs, they perform things out of the ordinary. With the other corps, IMO you can already tell how they will sound and look. I like each and every corp but BD will always be at the top of my list. It's okay to not clap but its disrespectful to boo these young talented performers just because you didn't get your way. DCI should be something fun, exciting, energetic, etc. If you have a problem with something and you feel like booing, my advice would be to stay at home. The only person who will look bad when they boo, will be the one who looks bad. My advice to the BD is keep doing what you are doing. Don't change for anybody. There are people who will love you and those who will hate you. But remember, your haters are your motivators.

And like they say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all.

The Blue Devils have essentially been doing the same show for the last few years. Same drill, same lack of demand, same type of music arrangement no matter the source material, same insane guard costumes, same park and bark..... ect. If you are surprised by anything the Blue Devils are doing this year then you are too easily surprised. The only things about the programs that have changed is the concept and even that has been consistent in it's disconnect from what they have put on the field.

I have never booed at a show, but to say that the people who do should stay home is as rude as any booing I have heard. How much longer are the majority of Drum Corps fans going to have to endure having their intelligence insulted before they are allowed to react?

• Like 2

There is nothing particularly ennobling nor endearing about people not respecting the opinions of others when it comes to what they like or don't like in music or Art. Its the height of intolerance to engage in name calling, ie " whiners " because they don't like what you like. Its pompous. Its arrogant. You are entitled to like and dislike what you want. It would be rude of me however to call you " a whiner " because you did not like what I liked.

I don't care what you or anyone else likes or doesn't like, that is NOT the issue. I am referring to the verbal reaction of those who decide that they can't control themselves and must act as I described, booing young amateur musicians and guard members who are striving to perform their show to the best of their abilities. If you don't like it..fine...don't applaud or cheer.

Saying they don't deserve it is different than what they are actually saying while booing which is that they don't AGREE with the placement (regardless if its deserved)

Are you saying that people who boo actually think that BD deserved the win, but they did not agree with them winning, so they decided to boo them because they deservedly won? :blink:/>

That seems to be reaching a bit.

We agree on lots of stuff...but not this one, apparently!

I wonder if BD's programming choices are not only encouraged by the titles, but by the controversy and conversation that they generate?

"Any press is good press"

Every time I hear "Blue Devils are hated because they win too much" I cringe because it is cop out. There are many reason that so many in the Drum Corps community don't care for the Blue Devils of late. They have been debated and argued about in this forum enough already so I am not going to go into any of that. The insinuation that those who voice their unhappiness with the last few productions of the Blue Devils are jealous or because they win too much is to dismiss the opinions of those with legitimate complaints about the judging system and the way in which it is applied.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 1

In May 1913, Igor Stravinsky debuted his ballet The Rite of Spring. Though it is one of Stravinsky's most famous works, his creation was met with harsh criticism, negative reviews, and yes - a riot.

The Blue Devils have not yet seen a riot...but the irony is palpable.

• Like 1

You are the one who is totally wrong. When a person is booing the placement of Crown in 2nd place, he/she is telling the BD members that they do not deserve their victory, no matter how well they performed.

OMG, how horrible.

So when the judges give Cadets a lower score than both Crown and BD, they are telling the Cadet members that they do not deserve to be either 1st or 2nd. That is even more cruel to the kids. And they are even more cruel to SCV, and PR, and - oh, how can you stand it?

• Like 2