If BD Wins, We Riot!

:sad: Wow. I LOVED The Devil's Staircase. Super cool show. Made me love Ligeti.

Me too. They never managed to get any volume out of the brass, but the music, drill, design, everything was great. But, among my family, I was the only one who cared for it.

• Like 2

Best way to make a point is simply do not go to the shows and then DCI will get the hint... oh wait that hasn't worked either

I am not buying the "activity needed to evolve and change line of crap"... Does the same argument mean that instead of goal posts on a football field there should be basketball goals and instead of basketball goals a court should have soccer nets....... you get my point...the judging criteria should've stayed the same and made it about playing great music and marching.

• Like 1

No, you don't get to move the goalposts now to suit your argument. Drum corps were disappearing from the planet long before 1990, so if you're going to cite what you call lack of accessibility of shows to the number of corps dwindling, then you better be prepared to use that same argument for ALL the years after that peak number of corps started declining.

Actually, if you add them up, my guess is that far more corps disappeared in the 70's and 80's than the 90's.

Corps disappeared in the 50's and 60's as well.

What is happening far less today are new corps popping up to take their place.

• Like 2

Perhaps we should wait until Blue Devils start their encore performance….those poles could come in handy on the windows of the mall

Think of the headlines, might make Drum Corps seem cooler...

ANGRY MARCHING BAND FANS TRASH DOWNTOWN INDY

Thousands of disgruntle Drum Corps fans formed a giant visual block while armed with 100 poles and marched in unisons in a wedged formation towards the downtown mall where they rhythmically bashed the mall windows in a coordinated, breathtaking, display of angst. Police Captain Wiggins exclaimed their looting was a thing of beauty…each looter had a clearly defined, individually written visual-looting responsibility that they preformed beautifully…I need to see the mall security camera tapes several times to really take in the full impact of the looters, there was so much to see, every where I looked there was something different going on and Im sure I missed so much….it may have been a riot but it was also art.

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 4

Best way to make a point is simply do not go to the shows and then DCI will get the hint... oh wait that hasn't worked either

I am not buying the "activity needed to evolve and change line of crap"... Does the same argument mean that instead of goal posts on a football field there should be basketball goals and instead of basketball goals a court should have soccer nets....... you get my point...the judging criteria should've stayed the same and made it about playing great music and marching.

It is amazing to me, and I'm sure it has a great deal to do with the fact that I never marched drum corps, that a HUGE percentage of posts on DCP have exactly one theme: "Why did anything ever have to change? Why don't they just do it the way they did back in________________ when I marched?" Really? At what point? One valve g bugles? Two? Marching tympani? Glockenspiels?

It's better. The shows are better. The music is better. The kids are both more athletic and more musical. They come from better feeder programs (high school marching bands). Tell me any corps from 1973 or 1985, using the same sheets they did then, who would be competitive with intonation, musicianship, cleanness, demand, of a top 10 corps in 2013. I love the old stuff too, but to say the activity should not have evolved has been empirically disproven.

• Like 3