If BD Wins, We Riot!

I hope they win! I am going to raise a glass, to my brothers on the other side of San Jose and be happy, because it came back to California! OK, I will be raising a glass anyway, one might as well be for them! GO BLUE DEVILS!

thats FINE BUT, you are insisting that what you or any individual knows what the masses considers entertaining..I can guarentee you it wont be the same as the next person. as another peopn also posted....if you dont care for 1 corps so go watch another

the problem with DCI moving forward is also...thinking that show design is why people arent coming...sure with some, especially those who dont like the direction YES BUT its far bigger than that. Many left back in EVERY DECADE because of direction. Drum corps is alot differnt now as far as support because of many things including a differnt world it serves or doesnt.

you're a consumer right? So if you only like part of something, do you pay top $$ to see all of it?

Most people don't. And that's an issue staring drum corps in general in the face and biting it's ###.

There arent enough recent alumni and band kids sticking around to replace the diehards with years vested in the game as they fade off. When I get an email from DCI saying "Mr. Ream, you used to give us a lot of money for Friends and multiple shows....and now you don't....can you tell us why?"

I did. I know other that have. I know the last time I went to finals with Friends, over 50% of the faces we started with were no longer attending. When I nosed around in 2010, I saw 10 faces left in that crowd. That's sad.

but until DCI gets a board that isn't focused on power plays, seccession and creating art, it'll just keep perpetuating itself.....to fewer people.

the outcry of inacessible shows really didn't take off until the 90s when wind ensemble literature started beocming more and more prevalent, as well as visual started to dominate the activity. yes youhad some of it before, but not at the levels seen 20 years ago and continuing.

Look, I like a lot of the stuff I see now. But I'm more vested in the activity than many people sitting in the stands. Remember, DCI is targeting kids before us old ####ers.....and when you hear kids making fun of what they see and hear, then youhave issues.

Dude:

I like the stuff you write (not that I agree with most of it, but I love passion) and you're clearly invested in the activity. But making an argument that says "I know more than most people in the stands" and "a few kids near me did this so everyone feels this way" is not the way to get me to agree with you.

• Like 4

Then the boos need to come at the end of the performance or it is just plain disingenuous! It IS THE SHOW THEY ARE BOOING FOR PETE'S SAKE SO BOO THE SHOW... Oh right... that would be classless.

You are suggesting that people that are inclined to boo the BD do so after the BD performance instead of at the announcement of the judges decisions at retreat ( which the booers do now ) ? This suggestion of yours makes no sense to me to me.

Here's why : If booers boo immediately at the conclusion of the BD performance it is unmistakeably clear that they disliked the BD performance, and this is what precipitated the booing. Judges are not involved at this juncture as receiving the wrath of the booers. No other Corps is involved at this juncture either. The booing is clearly BD show related if the booing ( as you are suggesting here ) takes place immediately after the conclusion of BD's finish to their show performance. On the other hand, when booing takes place at retreat, with the announcement of the judges decision ( scores ), after all the Corps have finished competing, the booing is viewed as BD and other Corps placement related, ( not show related ) and as it relates to placement of BD with others. For the first time here now in the evening, judges are principally seen as the recipients of the booers wrath with the booing. The booing is no longer BD show enjoyment related anymore, because at this juncture at retreat's judges scores,, it is principlally viewed as placement/ score/ other Corps/ judge related.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Perhaps we should wait until Blue Devils start their encore performance….those poles could come in handy on the windows of the mall

Think of the headlines, might make Drum Corps seem cooler...

ANGRY MARCHING BAND FANS TRASH DOWNTOWN INDY

Thousands of disgruntle Drum Corps fans formed a giant visual block while armed with 100 poles and marched in unisons in a wedged formation towards the downtown mall where they rhythmically bashed the mall windows in a coordinated, breathtaking, display of angst. Police Captain Wiggins exclaimed ‘ their looting was a thing of beauty…each looter had a clearly defined, individually written visual-looting responsibility that they preformed beautifully…I need to see the mall security camera tapes several times to really take in the full impact of the looters, there was so much to see, every where I looked there was something different going on and I’m sure I missed so much….it may have been a riot but it was also art’.

easy there, this could be a Crossmen show write up

the outcry of inacessible shows really didn't take off until the 90s when wind ensemble literature started beocming more and more prevalent, as well as visual started to dominate the activity. yes youhad some of it before, but not at the levels seen 20 years ago and continuing.

Look, I like a lot of the stuff I see now. But I'm more vested in the activity than many people sitting in the stands. Remember, DCI is targeting kids before us old ####ers.....and when you hear kids making fun of what they see and hear, then youhave issues.

Jeff with all due respect ( and I mean that ) the blanket statements of the vast majority you always seem to talk about is crazy....I have seen many Kids as well and so have others, poke fun at corps

( although disrespectful , which is another topic ) but Ive seen it toward many corps that you and many others consider the best thing since sliced bread . This also includes corps you and I have worked with...it is what it is but doesnt have the revelence or weight you want to put on it. JMO :smile:

• Like 3

You are suggesting that people that are inclined to boo the BD do so after the BD performance instead of at the announcement of the judges decisions at retreat ( which the booers do now ) ? This suggestion of yours makes no sense to me to me.

Here's why : If booers boo immediately at the conclusion of the BD performance it is unmistakeably clear that they disliked the BD performance, and this is what precipitated the booing. Judges are not involved at this juncture as receiving the wrath of the booers. No other Corps is involved at this juncture either. The booing is clearly BD show related if the booing ( as you are suggesting here ) takes place immediately after the conclusion of BD's finish to their show performance. On the other hand, when booing takes place at retreat, with the announcement of the judges decision ( scores ), after all the Corps have finished competing, the booing is viewed as BD and other Corps placement related, ( not show related ) and as it relates to placement of BD with others. For the first time here now in the evening, judges are principally seen as the recipients of the booers wrath with the booing. The booing is no longer show enjoyment related anymore, because at this juncture at retreat's judges scores,, it is principlally placement/ score/ judge related.

Wow... so when I pin this one down, where will you morph your argument from here? You ARE THE TEFLON POSTER!

• Like 1

It makes perfect sense if, according to most in this thread, it's the SHOW that is the main thing they have a problem with. Or as I suggested, instead of booing, let's just see all these disgruntled fans who don't like the Blue Devils show this year just get up and go get a hot dog as they're entering the field and return to their seats when their show is done. Let them perform for a half-empty house.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

Dude:

I like the stuff you write (not that I agree with most of it, but I love passion) and you're clearly invested in the activity. But making an argument that says "I know more than most people in the stands" and "a few kids near me did this so everyone feels this way" is not the way to get me to agree with you.

Well...if the average fan talks to BOD members, then I know the same as them.

I know more way more about the inside of DCI and what makes it tick than I should......and trust me, there's fear in the room. But before they can focus on this, they have stop fighting each other for power and money.

While I applaud some of DCI's outreach to fans with surveys the last few years, they have tap danced around manythings in those surveys. Because they don't want to know the answers.

Jeff with all due respect ( and I mean that ) the blanket statements of the vast majority you always seem to talk about is crazy....I have seen many Kids as well and so have others, poke fun at corps

( although disrespectful , which is another topic ) but Ive seen it toward many corps that you and many others consider the best thing since sliced bread . This also includes corps you and I have worked with...it is what it is but doesnt have the revelence or weight you want to put on it. JMO :smile:/>

oh yes, kids will make fun of anything.

But outright mocking in the middle of a stadium is pretty hard not to miss.

Best lne last year at Allentown: "Now I know why Dad said don't do drugs"

:tongue:/>