Charleston Churrascaria

If it weren't too expensive, I'd suggest a DCP get-together. Myself, my girlfriend and two fellow Govenaires are making the trek out to Finals this year.

Very cool! Hey, I also went to SCSU (if your name means St. Cloud State U). Go Huskies! And go Govies!

OK, none of you guys would post scores, so I had to look.

Wow! Is BDB being judged on the same card as the other corps tonight? If so, their 85.950 puts them ABOVE Cavaliers 85.9!

BDB would be judged on the Open Class sheets...probably a good 10 points lower if they were on World Class sheets.

Wow! Is BDB being judged on the same card as the other corps tonight? If so, their 85.950 puts them ABOVE Cavaliers 85.9!

BDB was judged on the Open Class sheets... probably a good 10 points lower if they were on World Class sheets.

More like a good 17 points, if last year is any guide: Oregon won Open with 95.250 but only got 77.450 in World.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

BDB is in the driver's seat as far as Open Class, but I expect SCVC to make it a close one. I know that the corps RIGHT NOW cannot get promoted to World Class, but I wonder if the organization changed the corps' name, I wonder if they could make a move?

Edited by scsudrummer

More like a good 17 points, if last year is any guide: Oregon won Open with 95.250 but only got 77.450 in World.

I think 17-20 points is generally seen as the go-to point drop between Open and World class. Unless you're Magic of Orlando 2002, but that was a freak case.

Fun fact though, at their own show by themselves, SCVC got an 86.4. So it looks like BDB doesn't own the highest score anymore.

I am aware..I was surprised to find that they have a couple locations in Brazil (I'm sure there's no shortage of churrascarias there), even though I'm sure they're an American based chain.

Ah, good chain that I like better than Texas de Brazil personally. I've been to Fairfax, VA and Las Vegas, NV Texas de Brazil and the Washington D.C., Baltimore, and Las Vegas, Fogo de Chao.... Good stuff....

And The Cavaliers qualify as a BIG BOY still that Madison can't compete with?? Hmmmmm... last decade perhaps.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cavaliers, and they are one of my favorite corps of all time. Good lord I cannot possibly tell you how much I miss Richard Saucedo and Michael Gaines. But, let's be real for one second. The last couple of seasons have been nothing short of brutal in the design department. If they weren't "The Cavaliers", they wouldn't be sniffing anywhere near 7th place right now.

I agree with everything you said here. There is no doubt the Cavaliers miss Saucedo and Gaines. But to their credit, and I wasn't sure this was possible when I saw the Cavaliers in Akron and in Fairfield, their young staff has done a brilliant job of fleshing out the things that didn't need to be in this show, adding excellent new ideas, and really building the corps' confidence as they continue to clean the show.

The later thing I mention is key. A number of corps that started as weak as Rosemont did would be shaken and might not have recovered. The staff might have fought with judges all season and at some point just given up. What I saw from them on the San Antonio webcast, and again at Atlanta, was nothing short of amazing.

Their visual book is still a top 7, even top 6, book with lots of demand. The music is much more readable now and overall music GE is better than last year. Percussion is really good, and their guard continues to be well integrated into the whole show. Brass is definitely younger and/or more inexperienced. The last 2 minutes of this show are a clear statement that "we can still be Cavaliers."

--------

On the flip side of this, of course, we have Madison who has a very entertaining show with a polished brass line and a big sound. But the show (beyond the 2 or 3 really nice GE impact moments) is fraught with a bad design through much of the middle 1/3 of the program. The demand is low in a number of areas, and I really have to question the use of "Night on Bald Mountain" as repertoire for this patriotic show. For what Madison is trying to do I think the source material is really hurting musical flow and GE. I remember the intro and the end and nothing more every time I see it.

Who knows what will happen come Finals. Madison has the better brass, Cavaliers have the better percussion. Both have moments in their show where GE is not great because they both began the season with major flaws. I believe Madison's were more related to design, whereas the Cavaliers were related to performance. But there are some design issues with Cavies as well. I think it will be close but from here on out I do not see Madison topping them much. Probably wrong about that, but just a hunch.

I really have to question the use of "Night on Bald Mountain" as repertoire for this patriotic show.

I'm not sure it works as well as it could (I particularly don't like how--at least when I saw the show--the theme is first introduced on the synthesizer before the brass delivers it), but I think this music is supposed to suggest a nightmarish battle situation in which the soldier characters find themselves. A patriotic tune would be out of place, because that would suggest that their own country was the source of the horror.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand