Bluecoats get some publicity and controversy in New Jersey

Best thing about the Internet: It allows everyone the opportunity to voice their opinion

Worst thing about the Internet: It allows everyone the opportunity to voice their opinion.

Could have used some more commentary in that article, but at least drum corps is getting some exposure. Better than nothing

• Like 1

The same pictures appear in the brochure "Why Guys Play Snare"

Last I checked, if you were over 18, you get to wear what you want.

This is pretty tame compared to 27th Lancer "underwear rehearsals" and the ESPN body issue.

Been sayin' for a while, you need to be in shape to be a band-o. Here's the proof.

Go get 'em, 'Coats.

• Like 1

Heh...take a trip to any WalMart on a Saturday and you'll see similar clothing...except those wearing the short shorts and tiny tops would weigh in at around 195 pounds...and they'd be wearing their bedroom shoes to boot.

• Like 2

The irony...

Everyone that is complaining about the attire is probably assuming that the girls are not covered up enough which would attract the unwanted attention of their over stimulated male co-members. What they don't know is that the guys probably don't even notice they are on the field...

• Like 1

[...]

at least drum corps is getting some exposure. Better than nothing.

It seems that "exposure" was the problem for some of those commenters.

As a drum corps alum I have no issues with the photos; in fact much of what I observed while in drum corps rehearsals was far more revealing. That said; we have to accept that when corps tour they choose to be housed in a particular spot, and they are in fact staying as 'guests'; and therefore as 'guests' they have an obligation and duty to honor the community standards where they are staying. A few times I can remember being housed at churches; we as members and the staff had no issues whatsoever complying with the requested dress codes while staying as 'guests' in those areas. And the requests were reasonable (shorts were fine but no 'cheeks' showing; and t-shirts which covered the mid-drift were fine). So while I have no problems with corps members and staff rehearsing in swimwear (ehhhh... seeing Ceserio in a speedo might be a bit much) I also have no problems having the corps personnel 'cover up' to community standards while being 'guests' in their house.

As a drum corps alum I have no issues with the photos; in fact much of what I observed while in drum corps rehearsals was far more revealing. That said; we have to accept that when corps tour they choose to be housed in a particular spot, and they are in fact staying as 'guests'; and therefore as 'guests' they have an obligation and duty to honor the community standards where they are staying. A few times I can remember being housed at churches; we as members and the staff had no issues whatsoever complying with the requested dress codes while staying as 'guests' in those areas. And the requests were reasonable (shorts were fine but no 'cheeks' showing; and t-shirts which covered the mid-drift were fine). So while I have no problems with corps members and staff rehearsing in swimwear (ehhhh... seeing Ceserio in a speedo might be a bit much) I also have no problems having the corps personnel 'cover up' to community standards while being 'guests' in their house.

The huge difference between the two situations you're describing is that the church asked you to wear a certain thing. All of the complaints are being registered after the fact by people who have nothing better to do than to judge other people that they know nothing about. I'm sure if Coats were asked by a host not to dress a certain way, they would either comply, or find another housing site.

The most infuriating comment that I saw was the one that insinuated that the staff of the drum corps probably encourage the kids to wear less clothing and should go through a background check. I know a few of the staff at Coats, and they are some of the most dedicated and professional educators I know. People should get out from behind their computer screens and find out something/anything about a situation before they cast judgement.

Edited by actucker
  • Like 1

I would agree witht this. Although It's tough telling memebers who are busting butt in horrible weather sometimes you do have to respect where you are. I personally have had to tell people to dress with a little more from time to time , at least when schools may be bringing their HS members to watch or parents invited from the school or town to watch....So you do what you have to then move on to business as usual.