2014 Predictions!

I watched the brass rehearse in the stadium Memorial Day weekend and I have to say that there music GE scores are going to be very good. They're marching with 80 brass this year and the sound is rich and huge. The rehearsal block I observed was simply the brass playing while marching. The instructors had what appeared to be conductors charts and they were making adjustments on all the different voices for sound. I was within ear shot of their conversations and they were adjusting really nuanced dynamics and phrasing from the brass. The drill that I saw placed the different voices together in specific regions of the field. The net was a concert hall effect. I've been around drum corps since the seventies and the sound was really striking. Perhaps it was because the 16 tubas were on my far right and the mellophones were on my left with the trumpets and baritones in your face in the middle made the sound so (I'm pausing here to find the right description) "3D".

My personal opinion is that the Cavaliers drew a page from the Carolina Crown play book on brass sound. I expect a bootstrap effect where the brass performance is going to pull up the GE scores.

I also have heard (but did not see) that the pit actually has drill moves. I understand that in one portion of the show, the marimbas are integrated into the drill on the number two side - right near where the tubas were in the rehearsal I saw. In that same conversation it was mentioned that the vibes will form a circle somewhere in the center of the field. I can only imagine you go through all this trouble for GE music, certainly not for any visual points. Didn't "someone" place tympani all over the stadium in a recent show? In the context of integrating the pit into the show, from photo's of the the Cadet's show this year with their huge stage behind the pit, it seems like diversity is going to best describe this season's shows. The judges will have plenty to compare and contrast this year. This will be another great season for drum corps.

OK now this sounds really great! I loved Cavies show last year and I hope they really give some spankings!

I watched the brass rehearse in the stadium Memorial Day weekend and I have to say that there music GE scores are going to be very good. They're marching with 80 brass this year and the sound is rich and huge. The rehearsal block I observed was simply the brass playing while marching. The instructors had what appeared to be conductors charts and they were making adjustments on all the different voices for sound. I was within ear shot of their conversations and they were adjusting really nuanced dynamics and phrasing from the brass. The drill that I saw placed the different voices together in specific regions of the field. The net was a concert hall effect. I've been around drum corps since the seventies and the sound was really striking. Perhaps it was because the 16 tubas were on my far right and the mellophones were on my left with the trumpets and baritones in your face in the middle made the sound so (I'm pausing here to find the right description) "3D".

My personal opinion is that the Cavaliers drew a page from the Carolina Crown play book on brass sound. I expect a bootstrap effect where the brass performance is going to pull up the GE scores.

I also have heard (but did not see) that the pit actually has drill moves. I understand that in one portion of the show, the marimbas are integrated into the drill on the number two side - right near where the tubas were in the rehearsal I saw. In that same conversation it was mentioned that the vibes will form a circle somewhere in the center of the field. I can only imagine you go through all this trouble for GE music, certainly not for any visual points. Didn't "someone" place tympani all over the stadium in a recent show? In the context of integrating the pit into the show, from photo's of the the Cadet's show this year with their huge stage behind the pit, it seems like diversity is going to best describe this season's shows. The judges will have plenty to compare and contrast this year. This will be another great season for drum corps.

Sweet, I'm very excited about the Cavies this year, I have one of those gut feelings about them this year.

Here is my guess for all the corps expected to be at Championships this year:

1. Blue Devils

2. Carolina Crown

3. Santa Clara Vanguard

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Cavaliers

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Madison Scouts

10. Spirit of Atlanta

11. Crossmen

12. Troopers

13. Blue Knights

14. Blue Stars

15. Pacific Crest

16. Colts

17. The Academy

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Blue Devils B

20. Mandarins

21. Jersey Surf

22. Genesis

23. Vanguard Cadets

24. North Eastern Technology

25. Spartans

26. Cascades

27. Music City

28. Gold

29. Pioneer

30. Legends

31. 7th Regiment

32. Raiders

33. Coastal Surge

34. Colt Cadets

35. Les Stentors

36. Racine Scouts

37. Blue Saints

• Like 1

1. Blue Devils

2. Carolina Crown

3. Santa Clara Vanguard

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Cavaliers

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Madison Scouts

10. Spirit of Atlanta

11. Crossmen

12. Troopers

13. Blue Knights

14. Blue Stars

15. Pacific Crest

16. Colts

17. The Academy

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Blue Devils B

20. Mandarins

21. Jersey Surf

22. Genesis

23. Vanguard Cadets

25. Spartans

26. Cascades

27. Music City

28. Gold

29. Pioneer

30. Legends

31. 7th Regiment

32. Raiders

33. Coastal Surge

34. Colt Cadets

35. Les Stentors

36. Racine Scouts

37. Blue Saints

North Eastern Technology? :augen51:

North Eastern Technology? :augen51:

He wanted to see if you were awake and paying attention... and it looks like you were.

• Like 2

1. Blue Devils

2. Carolina Crown

3. Santa Clara Vanguard

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Cavaliers

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Madison Scouts

10. Spirit of Atlanta

11. Crossmen

12. Troopers

13. Blue Knights

14. Blue Stars

15. Pacific Crest

16. Colts

17. The Academy

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Blue Devils B

20. Mandarins

21. Jersey Surf

22. Genesis

23. Vanguard Cadets

25. Spartans

26. Cascades

27. Music City

28. Gold

29. Pioneer

30. Legends

31. 7th Regiment

32. Raiders

33. Coastal Surge

34. Colt Cadets

35. Les Stentors

36. Racine Scouts

37. Blue Saints

BK will NOT be in 13th place. No way...no how. In fact, BK will be competing with BAC and Scouts...not the other three.

• Like 1

BK will NOT be in 13th place. No way...no how. In fact, BK will be competing with BAC and Scouts...not the other three.

I agree with you, but this is a prediction that has no actual factual basis behind it! It's all for fun, for now :smile:

• Like 1

I would feel out of sorts if we didn't see BK predicted low, or even out of the Finals by posters each preseason.... Its almost like a Rite of Spring.

......... Did I just say Rite of Spring ? Forgive me.

• Like 2

1. Carolina Crown

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Blue Devils

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Phantom Regiment (After listening to them tonight, they are interchangeable with anyone is slots 6-9)

7. Boston Crusaders

8. Madison Scouts

9. Cavaliers

10. Blue Stars

11. Spirit of Atlanta

12. Troopers

13. Blue Knights

14. Crossmen

15. Colts

16. Oregon Crusaders

17. Academy

18. Pacific Crest

and so on and so forth...

• Like 2

After watching the Cadets last night, I can't speak much about placement of overall show just yet because we need to really see the finished products from these corps, but their Brass and Percussion will be TOP 3.

Usually when this happens (like last year) they are tough to keep out of the top 2 or 3 slots. If SCV, Blooo, Phantom, Cavaliers, and others want to push into the top 3 they'd better "bring it." I personally think the Cadets show could ultimately have the GE to top the charts, but what was not in doubt about last night was the incredible confidence with which this corps performs.