Sad News from Music City

Well stated, Michael.

Hopefully, Music City will have a sound future.

Um, yeah... interesting, I mean, like, well

Anyway, I’ll miss Music City, didn’t get to see them much but was impressed with what I saw

I was even more saddened when I saw a picture of their age-outs...only 11 age-outs. They were on their way... :sad:/>

That's a fair number in Open Class. Most of the kids are younger. I think in my two years in Open Class, my corps had a grand total of 6 age-outs?

Thanks Bone. Your replies to this sad and unfortunate situation are spot on. I know it's always difficult for those out there with agendas to resist piling on to news like this....but this is not about G7....it's not even about dwindling interest in Drum Corps.....it's about business practice. That doesn't mean that Music City was badly managed, sometimes it's a matter of not being able to weather a storm of temporary financial circumstance. All forms of entertainment are having to compete on a much different playing field (pardon the pun) then ever before. And I suspect that more corps will fold and others will come back.....Spirit is a great example of a corps that reorganized and is now a finalist. Having said that, I agree with Garfield completely, it is important that all existing corps understand the causes of this situation and guard against repeating it......if they can!

Thanks for the support. I don't mean that Music City was poorly managed at all, they weren't Magic. What I do mean is that they just couldn't afford to keep running. It's been mentioned that they had a partnership with Band Hall, but that dried up this year. That probably put them in the ground, same way Glassmen's bingo program going away led to their demise. I hope they can re-structure in the ways that Spirit did, but it will be a tough road. They would really need to diversify their income streams to make sure they could weather the storm if something happened. I'm not saying take a page directly from BD or SCV's book, but those two are the most financially stable corps out there, because they have multiple points of income. I seriously hope that they can come back, I really enjoyed watching their rise over the last few years. They had fun, easy to enjoy shows that were performed pretty well. They weren't knocking on the door of World Class Finals, but they were enjoying what they were doing, and the kids were learning. That's the important part. Again, not the G7 ruining Music City, just Music City not being financially secure enough to keep going.

• Like 2

Being from Nashville I know a little bit about the history of Music City and the people that were running it.

What I will say publicly is this. They simply decided that it was time to pull the plug before it ever got to the point where they HAD to pull the plug.

Sometimes you bite off more than you can chew. I suspect strongly this is what happened with this group of folks.

• Like 3

The only crack in your argument is that the percentage of total operating income represented by DCI payouts decreases with their placement. A lower placing corps gets so little from DCI that it will be hard for me to believe that their success is dependent on DCI payouts.

What success?

We are talking about open class here. Corps are folding left and right. We had half the number of competitors at DCI as compared to just 7 years ago. That is not success.

I would imagine that MC received very little from DCI, but what Crown and BD and the rest of leaders get from DCI is a greater percentage of total income than it is for MC.

Explain to me the significance of what "percentage of total income" DCI payouts represent for a corps. I do not see what you are trying to say there.

The things that have been said about Music City and the programming let me say this.

I really ennjoyed their shows. I feel like the corps were making great strides to find their idenity,,something all new corps struggle with thier early years..

What we did see of Music City shows were well programmed and well thought out. For a start up program they did really well.

They will be missed and I hate that Music City will no longer be present at DCI shows.

• Like 1

Its not really intelligent to bring up DCA when I brought up DCI. Thats the hijack by the way. I see he marched senior corps. Shocked. My point is still valid and spot on. Ask 20 kids in any HS band Reading or Crown.

Wow! Bitter much?

John brought up DCA because he was responding to someone else's post about starting a weekend only circuit. John mentioned that a circuit already existed, and if you would have bothered to read Mike's post through those seething red eyes, you would have seen that a lot of "kids" get their start in DCA. Some move on to the Jr. circuit, some decide they like it and stay with DCA. Nothing to get disjointed about.

I also see you conveniently skipped over the part of John's sig that mentioned he also marched in 2 of the best Jr. corps out there. That's Ok. Hopefully your anger will subside a bit and we can continue on.

• Like 3

Explain to me the significance of what "percentage of total income" DCI payouts represent for a corps. I do not see what you are trying to say there.

I believe garfield meant that DCI already pays so little to Open Class corps that the actions of the G7 can't hurt them much.

What success?

We are talking about open class here. Corps are folding left and right. We had half the number of competitors at DCI as compared to just 7 years ago. That is not success.

Corps have been folding for a hundred years. Corps that can't cut it fold, as rough as that sounds. DCI only pays the Open Class corps when they compete in World Class corps, although it isn't a lot. No corps could survive on performance fees, especially one at the bottom end of WC or Open Class. So they need to make sure that they have other income available to keep them solvent. Some corps use bingo programs, some run band shows and sell tickets, others fund-raise like madmen. Other have great alums who contribute every year. When operating budgets run to millions of dollars, corps need as many income streams and fundraising opportunities as they can get a hold of.

What success?

Maybe a little math will help clarify both of your questions. All just examples and not actual payouts.

Corps-A spends $1million dollars on the season and gets $150,000 in total annual payout from DCI. That's 15%

Corps-B spends $$350,000 and get $30,000 from DCI.

My contention is that the $150,000 that corps-A gets is much more impactful on their finances and season than the $30,000 is on Corps-B's season.