What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

they are being judged by those people. those captions also have effect subcaptions

A Rock Guitarist is judged on their Guitar instrument proficiency/ execution, etc by what ...." those people" ? The Brass Perf judge, or the Percussion Perf. judge ? Nobody seems to know on DCP. So which of the two is it ?.... do, you know ?

Edited by BRASSO

A Rock Guitarist is judged by what ...." those people" ? The Brass Perf judge, or the Percussion Perf. judge ? Nobody seems to know on DCP. So which of the two is it, if you know ?

gotcha! Both can comment on how or why something is being used or how it relates . I think there are some areas that are not so specific anymore, otherwise we will end up eventually with a guitar judge, flute judge, ww judge.etc etc. When something is used( especially not a full section it just becomes overall effect, open to all music people and even effect how it may or may not relate to visuals.It may not be the answer you are looking for or even agree with BUT I do know that is how it is being used as of now anyway. If ever it becomes a guitar line of 20 guitars then maybe how it is judged or looked at will be different.

you also are assuming that for these individual things like maybe guitar are being focused on as in execution and just not effect. Thats kinda what I meant when relating today as far as guards drops. The way it can be looked at can be different than we are used to

Edited by GUARDLING

if a Rock Guitarist playing his or her Rock Guitar in field competition for the entire show is judged in their instrument playing, only in the " Effect Captions", and not in the execution captions, this might very well be the first musical instrument played in Drum Corps competition history not to be judged in either Brass, or Percussion. Can you think of any other instrument in DCI Competition that has not been judged on their execution, technique, performance profiency abilities, etc by either the Brass perf or the Percussion perf. judges ? I can't.

effect, ensemble, and it is possible the percussion judge will comment on them.

• Like 1

effect, ensemble, and it is possible the percussion judge will comment on them.

It is possible?

Is it also possible that the percussion judge will not comment, or not even evaluate? Is it, therefore, possible that the guitar (or any electronic instrument) is exempt from performance evaluation?

A Rock Guitarist is judged on their Guitar instrument proficiency/ execution, etc by what ...." those people" ? The Brass Perf judge, or the Percussion Perf. judge ? Nobody seems to know on DCP. So which of the two is it ?.... do, you know ?

If the guitar player is in the front ensemble, I would bet he's being adjudicated by the:

* percussion judge

* MA judge

* GE music judge

Percussion makes the most sense, because those instruments are common in the winter percussion world and thus judged by the music/percussion judges and effect judges at those competitions.

Also, to be blunt, DCP doesn't necessarily need to know which captions something is judged by: DCI and its member corps do, and I suspect they do.

• Like 1

It is possible?

Is it also possible that the percussion judge will not comment, or not even evaluate? Is it, therefore, possible that the guitar (or any electronic instrument) is exempt from performance evaluation?

It's also possible that since no one commenting that I've seen here is a DCI judge no one commenting here would have a 100% certainty over exactly how that is judged. I would surmise that Jeff R. is hedging his bet, so to speak, but saying "it's possible" and not wanting to speak with authoritative absolutes since he's not a DCI judge (just as my stipulation game with the qualifier "I would bet")

video screen usage I see tough as...a majority of the shows are not indoors.

Maybe; most marching band shows are not indoors, and that doesn't stop BOA groups. It's not the norm, but video screens are used commonly enough I think. I've seen them used for several seasons in Southern CA, where none of the shows are indoors (albeit our weather is a little bit better than most of the country)

Live circus animals playing woodwinds, while zooming around the stadium using jet packs.

Throw in some smoke, laser and synthesized vocal effects, and this is a stone winner.

no string instruments?! Sounds lame

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1

DCI will allow corps to get special age allowances for guest stars like Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Katie Perry and Lindsay Lohan. They will sing, rap and dance to the music.

After that, music judges will be eliminated for D-list stars like Dennis Rodman, Flavor Flav and Michael Lohan.

I honestly have to say...I LOVE your well-placed sarcasm/cynicism. It's a breath of fresh air.