What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

We did a thread like this in 2006, about drum corps in 2025 I wrote this:

European and Asian corps will be more competitive. I think an overseas corps will make finals.

Colorguards will become acrobatic.

Drum Corps will become alot more regional because of gas prices.

Texas, tired of exporting their talented band members, Will start a successful DrumCorps.

16 of the next 20 DCI titles will be split between The Cadets, Cavaliers and Blue Devils. (SCV, Phantom and Blue Coats winning the 4.)

No amped brass.

A Drum Corps will introduce a concert harp into their show. ( mark my word)

DrumCorps will be on major network TV.

What will people think in 2025 about Drum Corps of 2006?

Wow! Finals tickets were only $125 that's inexpensive!

This post has been edited byboxingfred: Mar 30 2006, 05:16 PM

OK, I wasn't right on everything, There is still time! Besides that was 2006! I didn't know Crown would be so friggin good!

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

OK, even if I buy that...I still say it doesn't excuse the fact that they still looked awful.

Your opinion is not a fact.

• Like 1

Fireworks

Lasers

Guest Stars

Woodwinds

Stringed Instruments either mic'd or jacked in.

Majorettes

Horses

Monster Trucks

Dolphins

Sky Divers &

Sky Writing when possible

Edited by Baripowaa
  • Like 1

We been there, done that.

The Mariners, 40+ years ago, bribed a stadium custodian to shut off the lights and then shot off fireworks secreted in their flag poles.

DCA corps have used guest star pit soloists for some time now.

Electric string instruments have already been used in DCI.

Majorettes were on the field for the first four decades of this activity.

And the DM of Madison's 32nd Hussars used to make his entry on a white horse.

It would work well for visual effect no question. I'm calling it now...LED's will be the next new "thing". WC has already shown it works.

*So many possibilities for creative uses, LED's on the uni's, in the pits, obviously on the drums, woven into the flags...? I'm just curious who ques the color changes, that would take a dedicated individual right?

On the plumes! Well...fiber optics.

Woodwinds? How about video over the trons to incorporate into your message? Pyrotecnics? Strings? All micd brass for amplification?

A sustainable business model - build a strong foundation. Then add stuff on top. Without corps, woodwinds and pyrotechnics (burning woodwinds? :devil: ) moot. There is some minimum number of corps needed to make the system work; the G7 seem to think it is 7, but I think most fans hope it is considerably more than that.

So far we have already lost 1 corps for next year, how many more before the off-season is complete? Will Glassmen and Southwind be back next year to fill the ranks? I won't be holding my breath...

The next big thing will be live circus animals.

Playing woodwinds.

The next evolution in drum corps is going to be something like the G7 creating an indoor Spring circuit. Something will naturally evolve where there is an indoor option for ensembles that costs a lot less to run. Maybe it's a 1-bus rule of 54 corps members, but you'll see a WGI-like atmosphere created so that corps can choose to develop under a less-expensive "minor league", corps putting out "b" corps as you see in some cases with guards and drumlines, and above all you will see academic lines blur so that tax dollars can be used.

Whether this is "SoundSport", an offshoot of WGI, or some org put together by the G7, you will see this circuit of indoor corps emerge based on the need to serve kids for less $ per kid. Some corps will start competing there instead of folding. DCI will be left with a show product not much different than today in the top-15 (remember GH's predictions in the mid 90's?) and they will be sustainable. What you won't see is new corps emerging into a full-fledged DCI tour. They'll compete indoors, and then exhibit outdoors. Maybe they'll field two indoors before they go out. But in an era of YouTube and shorter attention spans, you can expect to see 7-8 minute shows on a $100k budget become more common than 12-minute shows on $1m.

This trend is already starting with BK doing indoor brass for WGI. They were also the early adopters in the WGI world, and won several titles in the 90's. Groups like Music City may morph, or add a brass line show alongside their percussion.

We have all talked business models for lots of years. The DCI model IS sustainable for about 15 corps. That's it. Get your group in the top 20 fast, or perish.

My best guess is that WGI will develop a third weekend, and it will be a combined ensemble division. Elements of Guard, Percussion, and Wind instruments will be established and will be the "winter" circuit for all the schools. The Independent division will be buoyed by your big WGI groups, and your drum corps who want to either start, survive, or serve.

Total cost, cost per participant, and the opportunity to tap into schools (and school money) make this evolution long overdue. The real question is who will "own" it - SoundSport, WGI, MIMPA, or someone else...

1376873480[/url]' post='3314459']

The next evolution in drum corps is going to be something like the G7 creating an indoor Spring circuit. Something will naturally evolve where there is an indoor option for ensembles that costs a lot less to run. Maybe it's a 1-bus rule of 54 corps members, but you'll see a WGI-like atmosphere created so that corps can choose to develop under a less-expensive "minor league", corps putting out "b" corps as you see in some cases with guards and drumlines, and above all you will see academic lines blur so that tax dollars can be used.

Whether this is "SoundSport", an offshoot of WGI, or some org put together by the G7, you will see this circuit of indoor corps emerge based on the need to serve kids for less $ per kid. Some corps will start competing there instead of folding. DCI will be left with a show product not much different than today in the top-15 (remember GH's predictions in the mid 90's?) and they will be sustainable. What you won't see is new corps emerging into a full-fledged DCI tour. They'll compete indoors, and then exhibit outdoors. Maybe they'll field two indoors before they go out. But in an era of YouTube and shorter attention spans, you can expect to see 7-8 minute shows on a $100k budget become more common than 12-minute shows on $1m.

This trend is already starting with BK doing indoor brass for WGI. They were also the early adopters in the WGI world, and won several titles in the 90's. Groups like Music City may morph, or add a brass line show alongside their percussion.

We have all talked business models for lots of years. The DCI model IS sustainable for about 15 corps. That's it. Get your group in the top 20 fast, or perish.

My best guess is that WGI will develop a third weekend, and it will be a combined ensemble division. Elements of Guard, Percussion, and Wind instruments will be established and will be the "winter" circuit for all the schools. The Independent division will be buoyed by your big WGI groups, and your drum corps who want to either start, survive, or serve.

Total cost, cost per participant, and the opportunity to tap into schools (and school money) make this evolution long overdue. The real question is who will "own" it - SoundSport, WGI, MIMPA, or someone else...

this makes sense.