Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

I do find it a bit strange when people are complaining about how out there drum corps is becoming. In reality, the activity is nearly 100 years behind other arts.

Blue Devils music was exactly 100 years old. Carolina Crown was doing stuff from the 70's.

This right here... almost 100 years old (a 1970's film of the recreation of work from the 1920's).

This is also from the 1920's...

Film from the 1920's...

Graham almost 70 years ago....

Anyway, drum corps is so ridiculously far behind other arts... seems a bit bizarre that people complain it is moving too fast.

You are a world-class freakin' weirdo. :tongue:

• Like 3

More often than not you have something worthwhile to say in posts you start. This is not one of those. You do not make an argument of any kind. All you have done here is throw out a couple of comments whose connection to drum corps as an "art form" is tenuous at best.

welcome to the off season when Daniel returns from his lab thinking of ways to change everything

• Like 2

A question about these examples of innovative art: how well do they draw an audience? Walther Ruttmann's experimental films certainly never played outside the cinematheques.

Mr Boo, I thought your idea of ultra modern was Butterscotch flavored cheese ?

Mr Boo, I thought your idea of ultra modern was Butterscotch flavored cheese ?

Only when it's in a fondue.

So based on your rationale the scouts were the most modern corp of 2013 with songs from modern warfare a game first produced in late 2000's

Miley Cyrus is hip and current. She's an "artist" in some respects (not sure what those respects are).

But based on her performance at the VMAs last night, I'll be good-god-###### if I would want to see anything remotely resembling that from a drum corps.

• Like 1

So Drum Corps is 100 years behind but the time when the DC movement really started was 93-94 years ago (after WWI and AL Posts started being created with their own corps).

Guess the activity was ###### before it even start....

• Like 1

Modern is relative...

Went to the MOMA in NYC 2 weeks ago.

Simon and Garfunkel would be among the most recent art featured...

Yes, but if we find Simon & Garfunkel exhibits in a Museum , it would be considered most likely as Pop Culture's " Retro Art " not primarily an example of Modern Art ". As it relates to Dan Ray's quest for shows for Drum Corps, I don't think he he's asking Corps to do more Drum Corps " Retro " shows. That why his example of Simon & Garfunkel above seemed rather curious to me, as when I think of something as " modern" in music, despite my fondness for their music, Simon & Garfunkel is pretty far removed from what I'd call " modern " music here in 2013.