2013 DCA World Championships Prelims

In my opinion.......and ONLY my opinion, after the first 2 minutes of the CV performance, the top 6 scores were doomed to be squeezed. You can't follow CV, C2, ES, Cabs, and MB and score a 99. The gaps between the corps just aren't great enough for one corps to get a score that dominates. C2 percussion tightened it even more....

In fact, continuing my own opinion, if the old Tick/GE system was used last night, you could have announced Bush or Hurcs as the winners and no one could argue. We weren't on the field.

NEVER has a collective dozen "senior" corps thrilled an audience as they did last night. Let's all be happy we experienced such a thrill.

It's raining pretty hard right now in the area of Hawthorne Post 199........ if last night's prelims had to stand as finals due to weather (which it most certainly won't) I would still call the results valid and insist that no one was cheated out of anything.

Accept that the collective DCA has reached a new level...... all that from WEEKEND drum corps. ......... Amazing.

(I'm one of those "Back-in-the-day" dinosaurs, and NEVER did we have what I saw/heard last night)

Joe Dz in NJ

"I'm an admitted Caballeros fan since 1956 and I approved this post"

• Like 1

Everyone has a personal bias in some way, shape, or form.

yea they do but his is over the top. been down this road before.

• Like 2

You can definitely see the Riptide indoor drumline influence. That's not a bad thing.

A little Danzon No. 2 before going back into Clifton Williams' Symphonic Dances No. 3.

Huge red flags in the guard to finish the show.

That is a killer show and we still have three to go in Class A!

This is NOT RPT/Riptides Drumline.. Most of our perc unit comes from ACE Percussion.

Hi Kevin. From what I've heard, there's actually only 1 or 2 Riptide kids in the percussion section, & the rest is a Hodge-podge of Orlando area HS/College kids. It IS the Riptide battery equipment (and maybe front equipment) though.

Actually, the equipment is Sun Devils own,front ensemble equipment is actually from Citrus High School in

Inverness courtesy of Mr. Brian York and Citrus High School. There are 2 perc. members who were with RPT last season, the Battery members and staff are from ACE Percussion.

There were so many pleasant surprises in Class A last night. I felt they the top 4 were distinguished from the field, but the field was the best Class A ever.....

Tonight........ Top 4 A, Sun, Top 10 Open, Marines......... the NCAA never had sun a powerful final-16 !

Joe

I was in Section 5 also for all but one corp yesterday. I haven't read all 80 pages so some of this may have been said before. I thought Heartliner had a really well put together show I hope that somehow they get an opportunity for another performance while they are here. I thought the Minnesota Brass show was really great, I loved how the music broke down becoming atonal and less organized as the show diverged and I thought that was the best Performance of the night. I will admit to having biases against the Buccaneers but they had a good show their guard thought seemed slightly out of sync for the first 2 or 3 minutes of the show last night. I thought Cadets 2 from a DCA perspective had a much better show than last year It seemed they slowed it down and the sound was really solid. I was surprised when I read the scores that they had not done better, however their Guard work did not really tell the story I agree with some previous posters that that was their weak spot. I am glad Empire came to play also, my sister liked their show and they were her favorite. I have been a life long Caballaros fan, they were good but here 10 hours later I can't really remember a whole lot of their show so I can't give them rave reviews. I also enjoyed the Kilties performance which had some great comedic spots especially the large and small horn player doing galieo My biggest disappoint of the night was the Govies, I had seen them in the past and enjoyed them and last night their performance seemed a little off especially after seeing strong performances from the other class A corps.

I also need to agree with other previous posters that the crowd was outstanding, in my section everyone enjoyed every show. I spoke with several parents of marching members who were impressed with the corps staffs, schedules and the arrangements for their trip to Annapolis. While there are different thought on DCA seeming to get younger every year positive impressions like that are great for the future of the activity.

• Like 1

<snip>

I also need to agree with other previous posters that the crowd was outstanding, in my section everyone enjoyed every show. I spoke with several parents of marching members who were impressed with the corps staffs, schedules and the arrangements for their trip to Annapolis. While there are different thought on DCA seeming to get younger every year positive impressions like that are great for the future of the activity.

Interestingly, in the late 1950s and early 60s, "Senior" corps WAS young, too......it seemed to age in the early DCA years and continued until the birth of alumni corps, when many mid-to-older members moved over. Now we are seeing a place where young people with DCI talent can go if they have weekday jobs and don't like sleeping on wood floors.

And if the opening of Pittsburgh's Steel City Alumni is any indication, this show is going to be a stand-alone success too.....just as the 4 mini corps and prelims were.

Interesting that you mention "parents" in your post........ it's been years since I saw a noticeable presence of parents at a contest. That's Great !

Joe in NJ

PS: Steel City is bringing it !

duplicate post

Edited by JoeDz

That's all for our Class A corps. We now move into Open Class competition, starting with the Sunrisers from Rockland County, New York. Their 2013 program is entitled "A Painter's Canvas". No rep information on Corpsreps.com.

Sunrisers are from Long Island ,Brentwood have been for the last few years .And Sun Devils are from Inverness Fl.they moved 2 years ago from Northport .

Yes C2 was good but from what I saw the guard was a lot less clean than the rest of the corp and just did not hold up to the rest of the package. Buccs, MBI, Cabs, Corp Vets, Fusion, Empire all signifigantly better quality guards than C2. I do not know with out seeing the recap but I would guess C2s guard would be 7th at best and I am not even sure it held up to that. JMO

Yea, I completely agree with you. Cadets' have improved a lot in guard, but they aren't performing at the level of the top guards, no question. They've cleaned to a point that he impact on ensemble visual should be minimal though. But yea, probably seventh in the guard caption.