2013 DCA World Championships Prelims

Yea, I probably could have worded that better. Different kid of response than the other corps, for sure. I loved them last night. I kinda hope they come out tonight and break every rule DCA has. Go out with a bang :)

I completely agree with you about Cabs and Cadets2 on the "ovation meter."

And, to me, Atlanta CV was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had in recent memory at a prelims show, either DCA or DCI. From field level, their horn line was wonderful. Full, confident, balanced sound.

• Like 1

cleaned up some junk.

Every year in recent memory at least one person has had to be banned from DCP during the DCI/DCA championships period. Let's not keep the streak alive, m'kay?

awesome stuff on the field last night. tonight will be electric!

z

I completely agree with you about Cabs and Cadets2 on the "ovation meter."

And, to me, Atlanta CV was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had in recent memory at a prelims show, either DCA or DCI. From field level, their horn line was wonderful. Full, confident, balanced sound.

I have to agree. Atlanta may have had my favorite show of the night. It is far and away the best version of Interstellar Suite I've ever heard on a football field. I can't wait for a second viewing tonight. The are years, recent years, where that show wins.

you are so biased. anything you say i take with a grain of salt.

Are you going to take Jeff to task for saying that he was surprised to see Empire that high up too?

Come on Don....you are biased towards Empire and have come out and said it time and time again. And John was there in person, you weren't. I wasn't there and didn't watch it on FN, but give John the credibility for the simple fact he knows his stuff.

• Like 1

Are you going to take Jeff to task for saying that he was surprised to see Empire that high up too?

Come on Don....you are biased towards Empire and have come out and said it time and time again. And John was there in person, you weren't. I wasn't there and didn't watch it on FN, but give John the credibility for the simple fact he knows his stuff.

AMEN

• Like 1

Hey, there was no Z pull in '89. Never thought I'd see that move in DCA.

1990 Bucs - Batman opener

1999 Bucs - End of Winter Dream Opener

2005 ALLIANCE

It's been done a few times.

of course i'm biased. and i admit it. and no i wasn't there . i trust what kevin say's when he does the show's on DCP. but no i give no credibility for john knowing his stuff. and that's just my opinion. look i don't want to start a fight here. i just see bias and that's fine. we are all bias. i was also surprised to see empire up that high. if i were going to bet i would have put my money on 7th place. and i trust what jeff say's. he knows his stuff. some do and some don't. it's all relative. now i will say having conversations on the phone with people they all told me empire could come in 4th. so shocked , no. surprised , yes.

• Like 1

yea they do but his is over the top. been down this road before.

I can't say either way, as I was not there to see the performance, nor did I get FN. That being said, John has had numerous experiences on the field and off, and has a fairly well-trained eye for this sort of thing. And when the other reactions across FB/DCP/Twitter seem to validate his findings.

So on an unrelated topic, it was fantastic to see DCA and the show sponsors reacting to some of the criticism and suggestions following last year's event. In particular was that they opened Gate C for entry, saving a long walk to the end zone gate. A little thing, perhaps, but a real quality of life improvement. I wish we could box up this facility and take it to Rochester.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Well, I was in sec 5, row 22, seat 20. The folks around me loved MBI. I think that crowd loved everybody. If there was any "performed well, but boring" vibes it was for Bucs, until the last two minutes. Once they started the Baccinnale, all bets were off.

As far as crowd reactions go, though, here's what l felt it was like, in order:

1. Caballeros - biggest crowd pops by far. Multiple standing ovations.

2. Cadets2 - multiple standing ovations, and lots of "holy crap" type comments throughout

3. Statesmen - a few small ovations and e huge one at the end

4. Minnesota/Reading - Bucs fans going nuts at the start, as always. About even at the end. Minnesota had a lot more activity mid-show than Bucs

5. Atlanta

Last nights crowd was far and away the best I've seen at any prelims show in terms of simply enjoying the corps. And with good reason. Finals will be a sight to see.

We were in the cheap (bleacher) seats immediately to left as you came out the tunnel.

Again, MBI executed very well, I just could not understand what they were trying to convey (I think DCA calls this 'audience connection or something like that). On the other hand, Empire Statesmen reminded me of why I love Drum Corps. If I were the judge they would get a perfect score in the aforementioned caption. Any one of their 'few small ovations' were bigger than anything anyone prior to them received. Fusion Core had the hardest job of the night going on after that...